Halloween!

irvinehomeowner

Or Fall Festival or All Saint's Eve or whatever you may refer to it as.

I think we are going to repeat what we did last year and hit South Coast or Spectrum... maybe do some neighborhood stuff too.

Be safe and don't eat too much candy corn (I used to love those things).

So how many of you go out in your local neighborhood and how many of you give out candy?

My mother didn't like giving out candy and would turn out all the lights and tell us to be quiet so no one would come by. By the time I was in high school... I broke her "tradition" by buying the candy myself and handing it out.

To this day she still does that... and I do my best to counter her. The last few years it was hard to coordinate taking the kids around and also giving out candy. I think I told the story where I used to leave out the bowl with a "Take a few" sign while we went on our own rounds. Until two years ago... when some kid emptied the whole bowl into his bag (in Irvine... GASP!). So now we try to do our own early and get back in time to hand stuff out.

I think we got back too late this year... no one has come by yet (but it could also be we are in a somewhat isolated area).

I had a party for our kids. It was a little hectic socializing while also manning the door. It was fun seeing everyone in their cute outfits.

We got mobbed last year, so I was prepared for the onslaught this year. I had over 500 pieces this year--maybe only 50 left now.

Hope everyone had a Happy Halloween!

irvinehomeowner said:
I think I told the story where I used to leave out the bowl with a "Take a few" sign while we went on our own rounds. Until two years ago... when some kid emptied the whole bowl into his bag (in Irvine... GASP!). So now we try to do our own early and get back in time to hand stuff out.

When I was passing out candy, I had kids stepping on my feet, swarming me, trying to reach into the bowl that was on my lap and grab (the grabby ones were the older kids, not toddlers). I was giving out two fair sized pieces at a time and a kid asked if he could have more (he was like 10-11 years old). I thought that was a little bit rude. Then some of the kids would come back 2-3 separate times.

How many pieces do you guys hand out? I start off at two if they are "fun-size" pieces (such as a Blow Pop + mini bag of M&M's) but maybe 3 if they are smaller like Tootsie rolls or smarties. When I see repeat visitors, I go to one piece. We thought about buying full-sized candy bars and giving one each (of course) but the cost would have been outrageous.

Most people were giving out one piece of candy/chocolate (mini-sizes) tonight.  One person threw in a lime from his lime tree. 

Stopped by Little Saigon.. oh I mean South Coast with our little one yesterday..  Crowded and hectic, most stores have the "no candy" sign up around 2-3pm already.  Some even have the sign printed nicely on a color laser printer.. make me wonder if they had any candy to start with..  Sanrio was giving out stickers...  disney store line was crazy..  i had to hold on to my 18 month old so she wouldn't get trampled by the older kids..  the store that were giving out candy were the cheapy ones too..  only ghiradelli had some nice chocolate pieces.  trying a different venue next year.

South Coast was decent... the trick is you have to go where all the fancy stores are... since most families don't usually go into that area of the mall and you would not expect them to be giving out stuff.

Most of the stores in the main area (the two wings off of where the carousel is) are usually out but once you go to the "upscale" wings and hit Cartier, Louis Vutton etc... you can "candy" up.

Or go to the Crystal Court side... last year when the main area was all out... we walked over the bridge and almost every store had candy.

We also did Spectrum but there were less kids there and we stayed on the Target side, there may have been more between Old Navy and the theatres.

I took the kids out to trick or treat, hubby stayed home.  He was eating dinner and so left a 10-lbs candy bag outside. My boy left a nice note on the door: "Please help yourself and take one candy.  If candy is out, please knock on the door."  Hubby said only 10-20 minutes later, the door bell started to ring, and the bag was already empty!

Back