Fireplace hearth

stepping_up_IHB

So, I bought a mantle for our fireplace last Christmas, but still haven't installed it. As soon as I put it up to see what it would actually look like I realized that it makes the current hearth look awful. My plan was to get a slab of chocolate brown granite. Contractor neighbor confirmed it would be an easy job. I have called several granite guys, most of them flaked and the one who did give a bid said $850 if I have him install it or $1,300 if I just buy the materials from him and do it with the neighbor. It seemed a bit high, much more than I wanted to spend on the hearth and frankly, I just don't love granite.

Our floors are a lighter wood with lots of dark knots, the mantle is just white wood without any ornate details. The walls are green, furnishings white and dark wood, white baseboards, blinds, etc... Is granite my best option? If so, should a slab cost what I was quoted? If not, what other options are out there that would be relatively inexpensive? I thought about white wood, but it would probably get beat up.

[quote author="stepping_up" date=1242723703]So, I bought a mantle for our fireplace last Christmas, but still haven't installed it. As soon as I put it up to see what it would actually look like I realized that it makes the current hearth look awful. My plan was to get a slab of chocolate brown granite. Contractor neighbor confirmed it would be an easy job. I have called several granite guys, most of them flaked and the one who did give a bid said $850 if I have him install it or $1,300 if I just buy the materials from him and do it with the neighbor. It seemed a bit high, much more than I wanted to spend on the hearth and frankly, I just don't love granite.

Our floors are a lighter wood with lots of dark knots, the mantle is just white wood without any ornate details. The walls are green, furnishings white and dark wood, white baseboards, blinds, etc... Is granite my best option? If so, should a slab cost what I was quoted? If not, what other options are out there that would be relatively inexpensive? I thought about white wood, but it would probably get beat up.</blockquote>

Is the hearth raised or at floor level?

These are fun to look at just to get ideas on what colors and materials look good together. Check out the marble / granite facing kits... also comes in slate & travertine. Mantels in gypsum, wood, and cast stone. (I have NOT used them so I can't give a recommendation. I just enjoy visiting their site and daydreaming.) :)  Good luck.

[quote author="SoCal78" date=1242724732]<a href="http://www.mantelsdirect.com/">These </a>are fun to look at just to get ideas on what colors and materials look good together. Check out the marble / granite facing kits... also comes in slate & travertine. Mantels in gypsum, wood, and cast stone. (I have NOT used them so I can't give a recommendation. I just enjoy visiting their site and daydreaming.) :) Good luck.</blockquote>

thanks for this. granite seems to be the least inexpensive option and the material that would work the best from their choices of facing kits. It looks like the custom size will get me exactly what I need and at a fraction of the price the one guy gave me.

[quote author="stepping_up" date=1242725787]

thanks for this. granite seems to be the least inexpensive option and the material that would work the best from their choices of facing kits. It looks like the custom size will get me exactly what I need and at a fraction of the price the one guy gave me.</blockquote>

That's good. I hope it works out for you.

I went ahead and checked them out on BBB just to do a little consumer protection and so <a href="http://www.bbb.org/northern-alabama/business-reviews/fireplace-equipment-retailers/mantels-direct-in-florence-al-900005071">here is their report</a> - looks good to me. Hope this helps.

Back