Fatty Liver

[quote author="PANDA" date=1258966995][quote author="green_cactus" date=1258965845][quote author="PANDA" date=1258964628] Also I've read somewhere that about 10% of the Korean population carry a hepatitis virus B or C (mostly dormant than active) a virus found in the liver because of their culture of excessive drinking and passing around the soju cup. I've read that an active hepatitis C virus is the deadly one.</blockquote>

You don't get Hep B and C from sharing a drink.</blockquote>

Are you 100% sure Green Cactus? I have heard this from a couple of MD sources.</blockquote>

Well, never say never but the chances are rather slim; especially for Hep C. The one you get from sharing drinks is most likely Hep A. B and C are usually transmitted through needle sharing or as an STD.

[quote author="green_cactus" date=1258967479][quote author="PANDA" date=1258966995][quote author="green_cactus" date=1258965845][quote author="PANDA" date=1258964628] Also I've read somewhere that about 10% of the Korean population carry a hepatitis virus B or C (mostly dormant than active) a virus found in the liver because of their culture of excessive drinking and passing around the soju cup. I've read that an active hepatitis C virus is the deadly one.</blockquote>

Are you 100% sure Green Cactus? I have heard this from a couple of MD sources.</blockquote>

Well, never say never but the chances are rather slim; especially for Hep C. The one you get from sharing drinks is most likely Hep A. B and C are usually transmitted through needle sharing or as an STD.</blockquote>

Green Catcus, are you a nutritionist or an MD? It appears that you are very knowledgable in the health related field.

[quote author="green_cactus" date=1258967479][quote author="PANDA" date=1258966995][quote author="green_cactus" date=1258965845][quote author="PANDA" date=1258964628] Also I've read somewhere that about 10% of the Korean population carry a hepatitis virus B or C (mostly dormant than active) a virus found in the liver because of their culture of excessive drinking and passing around the soju cup. I've read that an active hepatitis C virus is the deadly one.</blockquote>

Well, never say never but the chances are rather slim; especially for Hep C. The one you get from sharing drinks is most likely Hep A. B and C are usually transmitted through needle sharing or as an STD.</blockquote>

I need to correct myself. Sharing drinks is not a direct mechanism to transmit any of the forms of Hepatitis. Hep A is in poop, B & C in the blood and bodily fluids. Saliva does not contain the virus.

[quote author="green_cactus" date=1258968319]

I need to correct myself. Sharing drinks is not a direct mechanism to transmit any of the forms of Hepatitis. Hep A is in poop, B & C in the blood and bodily fluids. Saliva does not contain the virus.</blockquote>

<a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fecal-oral_route">Oral-fecal route</a>. Never say never.

Panda, if you want dietary advice, consider seeing a "registered dietitian". They are supposed to be more formally trained than "nutritionists" and will hopefully not use terms such as "sluggish gallbladder".

FYI, that WebMD link is for NASH, which is a much more serious condition then fatty liver. Just wondering panda, how did your doctor diagnose fatty liver? I would avoid the fatty foods and alcohol.

Hep A can be transmitted fecal-oral, there's a reason for those signs in restaurant bathrooms. Hep B and C are bloodborne.

[quote author="bones" date=1259157691]FYI, that WebMD link is for NASH, which is a much more serious condition then fatty liver.</blockquote>

Sorry. I put "fatty liver" into the Web MD search box, and that link is what it delivered. Glad to hear that NASH is worse than fatty liver.

I was also diagnosed as having fatty liver but this was 2 years ago. I was 51lbs overweight according to my BMI and my doctor suggested I lose some weight. He suggested that I did not change my diet entirely, but substitute when possible and eat less at every meal. Here was his suggestion.

Instead of ordering that double double, eat it as a double meat no cheese or single meat 1 cheese.

Eating french fries are fine, but only eat 1/2 of what they give you and omit the salt.

Order that soft drink. Make sure you get a small and drink a diet or ice tea with no refills.

It wasn't the healthiest suggestion out there but it was realistic. 2 years later, I'm down 25lbs and going down slowly towards the goal of 40lb weight loss. I also had my blood test completed 2 months ago and no signs of fatty liver present, lower cholesterol value (finally below 200 points. I'm now at 182), and 2 inches slimmer at the waist. You can do it too Panda.

Back