Experts worry Federal Housing Administration will be next housing domino

Anonymous_IHB

<A href="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33236758/ns/business-the_new_york_times">http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33236758/ns/business-the_new_york_times</A>

I almost puked in my mouth reading that. The lady they profiled has no business owning a house...especially if my tax money is at stake! Some funny blurbs:

That was the case for Bernadine Shimon. Like many Americans, Ms. Shimon has recently been through some rough times. <strong>She lost a house to foreclosure, declared bankruptcy</strong>, got divorced and is now a single mother, teaching high school English in a Denver suburb.

<strong>She wanted a house but no lender would touch her.</strong> The Federal Housing Administration was more obliging. With the F.H.A. insuring her mortgage, Ms. Shimon was able to buy a $134,000 fixer-upper in August.

?The government gave me another chance,? she said.

Any more than that and Ms. Shimon, 45, would still be a renter. As it was, <strong>she cashed in her retirement savings account to come up with the necessary funds. She did not have enough to spare for closing costs, so her mortgage broker arranged a deal where the charges were wrapped into the loan at the cost of a higher interest rate</strong>. She cried when the deal was done.

The house was empty and trashed. Slowly, she is trying to bring it back to life. <strong>She spent the first few weeks picking up garbage in the backyard</strong>.

Is Ms. Shimon a good bet? Even she has no easy answer. <strong>Her mortgage payment, $1,100, is half of what she takes home every month</strong>. It is not easy to make ends meet. Teachers can get laid off like everyone else.

This country is getting lamer by the second!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Everyone should really read the article.

"The government is giving as many people as it possibly can the chance to buy a house or, if they are in financial difficulty, refinance it. The F.H.A. is insuring about 6,000 loans a day, four times the amount in 2006."

"Chaz Fullenkamp, an automotive technician in Columbus, Ohio, got an F.H.A. loan even though he was living on the financial edge. ?If I got unemployed, I?d be wiped out in a month or two,? he says. "I knew in my heart I could not really afford the house, but they gave it to me anyway... I thought, ?Wow, I?m surprised I pulled that off.'"

?It appears destined for a taxpayer bailout in the next 24 to 36 months,? Edward Pinto, a former Fannie Mae executive, said..."

For whatever reason the government seems to think owning a house is a right and not a privilege - ive never understood this. As if renting a home was indecent or something. I cant wait till all of this blows up in Obama and the rest of the governments face (and our wallet of course)

[quote author="qwerty" date=1255144510]For whatever reason the government seems to think owning a house is a right and not a privilege - ive never understood this. As if renting a home was indecent or something. I cant wait till all of this blows up in Obama and the rest of the governments face (and our wallet of course)</blockquote>

Dog gone it all. You beat me to it. I was gonna say, "Don't all you naysayers realize that owning a home is a right, just like health care?"

Back