• New forum software - please post issues in this thread

Earliest age/best time to give your child a smartphone?

The Motor Court Company

Smartphone is very powerful these days, enabling all kinds of freedom, akin to first car for a new driver. What is the most appropriate age to give them a phone? Middle school is too late? Is peer pressure a problem? Let’s say if all their close friends rock iPhone Pros, we should buy the same to match?

CalBears96

I think middle school is reasonable. IIRC, we gave our son the iPhone SE either 8th or 9th grade. He then earned his iPhone 12 Pro by getting straight A's for 2 semesters. My wife made a deal with him for $500 reward for straight A's for each semester in high school and he can choose what to buy with the money.

iacrenter

I delayed until freshman year before buying one. Kids had to sign a social media/technology contract. It stipulated things like: Creating accounts only with parental permission, agreeing to give all passwords to parents and allowing for review of all social media, not using the phone after 10pm, only using tech devices in public areas (no phones in bedroom), etc...

Danimal

Smartphone is very powerful these days, enabling all kinds of freedom, akin to first car for a new driver. What is the most appropriate age to give them a phone? Middle school is too late? Is peer pressure a problem? Let’s say if all their close friends rock iPhone Pros, we should buy the same to match?
Are you looking into getting a phone for your grandkid?

irvinehomeowner

In Irvine, if you don't have an iPhone by middle school... you will be looked at sideways.

I think that's actually been lowered down to 4/5/6.

My kids' friends have phones better than mine... but I guess that's more on me. :)

qwerty

My kids have had iPhones for a while. When my daughter started kinder i activated the phone service and put in her backpack to track her. Since she had a phone we gave my son a phone and he was 3.

And I wonder why they are glued to their phones now :-(