Does anyone have experience in baking Brazilian cheese bread?

momopi_IHB

I think they're called P?o de Queijo or Cheese popovers?

I need to make this on Friday and would appreciate any suggestions.

1. Make sure your oven is sufficiently preheated. In other words, once it hits the recommended temp, leave it on and don't put anything in for another 20 to 30 minutes. It also helps if you have an oven thermometer so you can make sure that the oven is at the temp you set it for.

Here are some other tips I found:

<blockquote>"P?es de Queijo" (cheese rolls) are a Brazilian snack food. They are like cheese gougeres, but made with "polvilho" (manioc starch, tapioca flour) instead of wheat flour. In my biased opinion (I'm Brazilian), it's the best, most addictive snack food ever. This is my favorite recipe for p?es de queijo, I think it's terrific.

If you are making them outside Brazil, you might have two problems: finding "polvilho azedo" (sour manioc starch) and finding the right cheese. I was told manioc starch is sold in the USA as "tapioca flour" in Asian food stores, but it's not the sour variety that this recipe calls for. I'm sure that you can make great p?o de queijo with tapioca flour, but I think that p?o de queijo with polvilho azedo tastes a hundred times better (I've tested both). Also p?o de queijo made with sour manioc starch puffs higher in the oven (although some people like them dense). So purchase polvilho azedo from a Brazilian food store if you can.

About the cheese, it's very unlikely you'll be able to find the right Brazilian cheese ("Minas meia cura") outside Brazil. Even in Brazil it's not sold everywhere. So I'm going to describe the cheese for you. It's hard, but not nearly as hard as Parmesan, has a few small holes, a pale yellow color; the taste is *mild* and salty, and it's slightly moist. It grates well, but not as finely as Parmesan. I think that a lot of cheeses will make great p?es de queijo, as long as the taste isn't strong. Some recipes will tell you to use Parmesan, but don't! It won't work, at least in this recipe, because its taste is too strong.

</blockquote>

<a href="http://recipes.egullet.org/recipes/r1903.html">Link.</a>

Back