Do you have to buy the built in refrigerator

escrowbear

option from the builder? Or can you buy a refrigerator from an external party and still have the unit be "built-in". It seems expensive to be paying 8-10k for the "built-in" option for a refrigerator from the builder.

[quote author="escrowbear"]option from the builder? Or can you buy a refrigerator from an external party and still have the unit be "built-in". It seems expensive to be paying 8-10k for the "built-in" option for a refrigerator from the builder.
[/quote]
It depends on the builder. You can expect to pay about 50% of the builder figure you mentioned if you shop around and do it after the fact.

[quote author="escrowbear"]option from the builder? Or can you buy a refrigerator from an external party and still have the unit be "built-in". It seems expensive to be paying 8-10k for the "built-in" option for a refrigerator from the builder.
[/quote]

We thought the same thing until we checked around for prices. In our case the builders price was actually cheaper than Pacific Sales.

I guess my question is, if you buy the built in fridge from a place like pacific sales, will they be able to install it the same as the builder ? Or does the builder have special resources/materials that match the existing cabinets.

Is 8k for a Sub-Zero 42" option reasonable?

It would be a stainless stell fridge. Don't need to have the panels on the fridge.

Also for note, we have not bought a home. I am just trying to think if we should buy a new home or not and pricing out the options to see if it's in our budget.

[quote author="escrowbear"]I guess my question is, if you buy the built in fridge from a place like pacific sales, will they be able to install it the same as the builder ? Or does the builder have special resources/materials that match the existing cabinets.

Is 8k for a Sub-Zero 42" option reasonable?

It would be a stainless stell fridge. Don't need to have the panels on the fridge.

Also for note, we have not bought a home. I am just trying to think if we should buy a new home or not and pricing out the options to see if it's in our budget.[/quote]

I believe Pacific Sales can install to answer your first question (at least they did for us in the past).
FWIW the GE Monogram s/s (our only option) was $8100 @ Pacific Sales. In our case the builder price is $5700.

Yes 8k for the 42" Sub-Zero is about right. You'd save about 1k by not opting for the wood panels. I happen to like them so would pay the extra cost involved.

Please note that we've not purchased anything yet. I am tired of remodeling and I was hoping to find something new. If you buy an older home budget accordingly (about 75k to 100k depending on the home).

Oh that's one thing I forgot to mention... I think some of the Woodbury models include a built-in fridge.

Personally... I don't mind either way. I like having the option of a stand-alone in case something newer and better comes along (or if the old one breaks)... but built-ins do look nicer.

Back