Delta to offer nonstop flights from John Wayne to JFK

cameray

Delta to offer nonstop flights from John Wayne to JFK

Starting Sept. 7, John Wayne Airport will offer its first nonstop commercial service to and from New York?s John F. Kennedy International Airport.

Delta Airlines will operate once daily flights between JFK and the Orange County gateway aboard a Boeing 737-700, said Jenny Wedge, John Wayne Airport?s spokeswoman.

Only one other carrier serving John Wayne offers nonstop service to the New York area, Wedge said. Continental Airlines flies to Newark Liberty International Airport from JWA. The new connection will replace Delta?s nonstop flight from JWA to Detroit, Wedge said.

The first JFK-bound Delta flight is scheduled to depart John Wayne at 1:45 p.m. (PST) Sept. 7 and reach JFK at 10:15 p.m. (EST) that evening, Wedge said. The first inbound flight from JFK is scheduled to land at around noon local time.

Delta? *shudder*

I've had two experiences with them and they were both nothing short of awful.  Without going into too much detail, this includes sitting on the ground for 90 minutes, with no A/C on a hot, humid NY summer day, before taking off.

Hopefully these were two isolated incidents, and having one company fly directly to NYC will encourage more to.

diulei said:
Having one company fly directly to NYC will encourage more to.

Looks like both Jetblue and US Airways have flights out Long Beach to NYC...you might want to check them out.  (link)

Yeah... but who wants to go to Long Beach just for leather seats and in-flight DirectTV?

But if I ever go back to NY, it's good to have a non-stop option from SNA.

irvinehomeowner said:
Yeah... but who wants to go to Long Beach just for leather seats and in-flight DirectTV?

I took a non-stop from Long Beach to Boston on Jet Blue.  I would do it again.  The fair is usually cheaper and the DirecTV helps a lot on 5+ hour flight.

I generally try to fly out of SNA when possible, even if it costs an extra $40-60 round trip.  The difference is made up in proximity, not having to pay a parking fee or booking a ride, and last but not least, NOT being LAX (which is priceless to not have to go through that hellhole, though Long Beach is not bad). It's close enough that friends don't mind dropping me off / picking me up.  I usually just buy them some In-n-out.

A direct flight from SNA to NYC would be icing on the cake for me.

Irvine2Irvine said:
irvinehomeowner said:

I took a non-stop from Long Beach to Boston on Jet Blue.  I would do it again.  The fair is usually cheaper and the DirecTV helps a lot on 5+ hour flight.

One important fact I forgot to mention was that there's no direct flight between John Wayne and Boston.

If there were, of course I would go out of SNA even if I had to give up DirecTV.

Back