Credit Card Industry Aims to Profit From Sterling Payers

Just read this article in NYT and I need to rant.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/19/business/19credit.html?_r=2&hp;

So, first, those of us who have been fiscally responsible and have been waiting for prices to come down to reality to buy a home have to bailout those who were irresponsible. Now, we are being punished b/c we pay our credit card bills on time.

This quote from the article is particularly infuiriating as the ABA admits that we will be subsidizing the irresponsible.

?It will be a different business,? said Edward L. Yingling, the chief executive of the American Bankers Association, which has been lobbying Congress for more lenient legislation on behalf of the nation?s biggest banks. ?Those that manage their credit well will in some degree subsidize those that have credit problems.?

And the argument for doing so is even more ridiculous.

?There will be one-size-fits-all pricing, and as a result, you?ll see the industry will be more egalitarian in terms of its revenue base,? said David Robertson, publisher of the Nilson Report, which tracks the credit card business.

People who routinely pay off their credit card balances have been enjoying the equivalent of a free ride, he said, because many have not had to pay an annual fee even as they collect points for air travel and other perks.

?Despite all the terrible things that have been said, you?re making out like a bandit,? he said. ?That?s a third of credit card customers, 50 million people who have gotten a great deal.?

Making out like a "bandit". You got to be kidding me! The only bandits I see are the banks. These banks seem to forget that each time we pull out our credit card they get 1-3% on the amount purchased from the seller. So, we are doing them a favor by using their credit cards.

What are the lessons learned here?

1) no need to be fiscally responsible b/c those who are will take care of you in the end

2) cancel all credit cards and use the old checkbook and debit card

The 1/3 of people who were using credit cards as a 30 day clearinghouse for thier transactions were being subsidised by the 2/3 of people who didn't.

The freeride is over.

I don't think that is going to happen. If the credit card companies get both the vendors mad (who are already mad over paying credit card fees) and the solvent users mad (who will be mad over paying interest or an annual fee), then both parties will simply refuse to play the game. Sort of like the Albertsons tax rebate gift card recently - the people with money will either buy a gift card for themselves with a discount (ex. $300 in cash required to buy a $330 gift card for the Albertsons tax rebate to avoid bank service fees), and both will profit by boycotting the credit cards and the banks will end up with nothing.

The store owners are already mad that the credit card companies prevent them from giving customers cash discounts (ex. stupid rules like if you want to allow credit card X users at this store, you must charge credit card X and cash people the same, unless you put two stickers on every item showing both the credit and cash price). If the banks push it too far - they will get cut out entirely.

What seems a lot more likely is that credit cards will still exist in their present form, but profit margins for the credit card companies will drop, so they will have to cut back staff

(ex. <A href="http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchive&sid=aOyi3wlctams">American Express Will Slash 4,000 Jobs, Take Charge</A>)

Count me in as one who will NEVER again use my credit card again if I end up having to pay one red cent for it. They have to know that anyone who pays off their card monthly doesn't really need to use a card, it's just a convenience. I have to agree that this is an empty threat as I do not think the major card companies want to lose all of those charges to the vendors.

Yea... as i've taken the time to pay off the cards, i'm slowly getting hit with fees. I politely ask them to remove it. If they refuse, i just close the card down....

It really hasn't seemed to hurt my credit at all.

But i'm annoyed that one of the guys i know at work has walked away from 100k in credit card debt. I really hate playing by the rules when everybody else is just being a douchebag and getting away with it.

-bix

[quote author="no_vaseline" date=1242769935]The 1/3 of people who were using credit cards as a 30 day clearinghouse for thier transactions were being subsidised by the 2/3 of people who didn't.

The freeride is over.</blockquote>

That was me.

[quote author="biscuitninja" date=1242782258]Yea... as i've taken he time to pay off the cards, i'm slowly getting hit with fees. I politely ask them to remove it. If they refuse, i just close the card down....

But i'm annoyed that one of the guys i know at work has walked away from 100k in credit card debt. I really hate playing by the rules when everybody else is just being a douchebag and getting away with it.

-bix</blockquote>

same here. i will just move to the next no fee credit card. my credit lines have been established so it shouldn't hurt the score too much (or at all).

This seems the mostly likely. If they can't charge subprime like rates, then there just won't be any subprime like cardholders.

American Express Says U.S. Card Law May Reduce Credit (Update1)

<A href="http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=a2pQjMNtWtoY&refer=home">>http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=a2pQjMNtWtoY&refer=home</A>

[quote author="irvine_grad" date=1242783304][quote author="biscuitninja" date=1242782258]Yea... as i've taken he time to pay off the cards, i'm slowly getting hit with fees. I politely ask them to remove it. If they refuse, i just close the card down....

-bix</blockquote>

same here. i will just move to the next no fee credit card. my credit lines have been established so it shouldn't hurt the score too much (or at all).</blockquote>

Keep your <em>oldest</em> account. One of the scoring factors is the length of your credit history. If you close the oldest account, it eventually falls off your report, and you appear NOT to have as long a credit history as you actually do.

[quote author="awgee" date=1242782353][quote author="no_vaseline" date=1242769935]The 1/3 of people who were using credit cards as a 30 day clearinghouse for thier transactions were being subsidised by the 2/3 of people who didn't.

The freeride is over.</blockquote>

That was me.</blockquote>

Freeloader!

Back