Cost per square foot to add a loft

nefron_IHB

I'm interested in a house that really would need a loft added to it to make it work for me. I still have to find out dimensions, to see if it's actually possible, but does anybody know what is a reasonable cost/square foot for this type of project? Ideally, I'd like to have the loft be two small bedrooms and a shared bathroom. What do you think?

Our 2004 loft ran close to $20k (18x12 more or less). Today, our neighbors have had quotes in the $12k range.

The thing you have to watch out for is access. Stairs have to be structured in a certain way in order to pass inspection. We learned this at the -0- hr from our contractor which meant a re-do of our entire stairway just to make it look right.

[quote author="Soylent Green Is People" date=1242343285]Our 2004 loft ran close to $20k (18x12 more or less). Today, our neighbors have had quotes in the $12k range.

The thing you have to watch out for is access. Stairs have to be structured in a certain way in order to pass inspection. We learned this at the -0- hr from our contractor which meant a re-do of our entire stairway just to make it look right.</blockquote>

Yikes, good to know that about the stairs. If I really do this, I want a licensed contractor who knows this stuff. Did your loft have a bathroom? I have to keep the cost under $20,000, so maybe it could work.

[quote author="nefron" date=1242344458][quote author="Soylent Green Is People" date=1242343285]Our 2004 loft ran close to $20k (18x12 more or less). Today, our neighbors have had quotes in the $12k range.

The thing you have to watch out for is access. Stairs have to be structured in a certain way in order to pass inspection. We learned this at the -0- hr from our contractor which meant a re-do of our entire stairway just to make it look right.</blockquote>

Yikes, good to know that about the stairs. If I really do this, I want a licensed contractor who knows this stuff. Did your loft have a bathroom? I have to keep the cost under $20,000, so maybe it could work.</blockquote>

<strong><a href="http://www.loftcrafters.com">www.loftcrafters.com</a></strong>

Doug Waters

fax - 949.266.9688

CA Contractor's Lic. #463944

Loft additions are one of the surest ways to actually add value to your home, as opposed to spending the $$$ redesigning a (kitchen or bath) space that is only valuable if the next owners appreciate your taste. These guys have done a lot of work in TRanch that has held up well. Good luck.

-IR2

[quote author="IrvineRealtor" date=1242346015][quote author="nefron" date=1242344458][quote author="Soylent Green Is People" date=1242343285]Our 2004 loft ran close to $20k (18x12 more or less). Today, our neighbors have had quotes in the $12k range.

Yikes, good to know that about the stairs. If I really do this, I want a licensed contractor who knows this stuff. Did your loft have a bathroom? I have to keep the cost under $20,000, so maybe it could work.</blockquote>

<strong><a href="http://www.loftcrafters.com">www.loftcrafters.com</a></strong>

Doug Waters

fax - 949.266.9688

CA Contractor's Lic. #463944

Loft additions are one of the surest ways to actually add value to your home, as opposed to spending the $$$ redesigning a (kitchen or bath) space that is only valuable if the next owners appreciate your taste. These guys have done a lot of work in TRanch that has held up well. Good luck.

-IR2</blockquote>

Hey, IR2, I was planning on calling you on my lunch hour about this....actually, I still am planning on calling you : ) Hope we can talk. Thanks for the referral!

Loft is ideal to add over an existing volume space. If you have a volume space then your house was built before 1994. This is the cheapest. The most expensive is when you have to modify roof for head room.

Always apply for a permit so the added footage is legal otherwise it can be a negative premium if you decide to sell your home.

Back