ChatGPT (and other AI/Skynet stuff)

irvinehomeowner

Too bad @Kenkoko is not as active anymore as this would be a topic he would have interest it.

ChatGPT has been making the rounds (you may have heard of students using it to write papers... to the point where written assignments are done in class now rather than at home) and is basically an open AI service that can answer mostly anything based on natural language questions.

If you don't mind sharing your email and phone number, you can try it out for free at

You can ask things like "How do I make corn beef hash?" or "What is the top 10 places to live in Orange County?" or even very technical things like "Write me java code that parses X data". I have friends who are using ChatGPT actively to write code for them that they would otherwise have to Google and put together themselves... saves them hours (not sure if they tell their bosses that). It can even give you players you should pick for fantasy sports... or name your fantasy sports team.

Has anyone else been using ChatGPT?

I even asked if AI will kill humans and this was the answer:

As of my last knowledge update in September 2021, AI has not been developed to the point where it possesses intentions, desires, or motivations like humans do. AI systems, including the advanced ones like the GPT-3 model that powers me, are tools created and controlled by humans. Their actions are determined by the algorithms and data they've been trained on.

The ethical and philosophical concerns around AI and its potential impact on humanity are important topics of discussion. While AI has the potential to be incredibly beneficial in various fields, including healthcare, education, and research, there are also concerns about its misuse or unintended consequences. The idea of AI "killing" humans usually refers to scenarios where AI-controlled systems could cause harm, either due to programming errors, biased training data, or malicious intent.

Efforts are being made to ensure the safe and responsible development of AI. Researchers, policymakers, and experts in the field are working on developing guidelines, regulations, and safety measures to minimize risks associated with AI. However, it's important for developers and society at large to be vigilant and consider potential risks while striving for the benefits that AI can bring.

It's advisable to stay informed about the latest developments in AI ethics and safety to have an accurate understanding of the current state of affairs.

I guess this isn't the crowd for AI.

It's been so helpful for work... instead of trying to google and piece together answers, AI weaves it together for me to make things faster. The use cases for AI is so vast... it seems like this will help more than hurt.

At least until the T-800 shows up at my door.

And if any of you have the phone ChatGPT app... it has better speech recognition/voice answers than Siri or Google.

is the phone app subscription?

I was just thinking on my drive in whether I could get it to report my missing newspaper delivery instead of me logging into the newspaper website and clicking through multiple screens. Now THAT would be useful!

I've only been using it for minor code suggestions, and to see how it does on the exams for my students.

Phone app is free, you can pay to upgrade to 4.0, but 3.5 is the no-cost version and has data up to September 2021 I think.

So if you're using it to get recent events... not so good... but to solve age old math or tell you history before 2021... it works.

Back