CFB National Championship Game Tonight

BruinDoc

Wow, what a game for the natty! Are those rub/pick routes that Clemson ran to free up their receivers on 2 TD passes even legal? I thought they were not.

The Clemson receiver never touched the defensive back. If the receiver collides with the defensive that is being picked then they usually throw a flag

qwerty said:
The Clemson receiver never touched the defensive back. If the receiver collides with the defensive that is being picked then they usually throw a flag

Got it. Glad someone else in Irvine watches college football. A nice break from all the MR/HOA/FCB talk on TI.

Great game, almost as good as the USC vs Penn State game.  I put down $100 on Clemson moneyline to win $180 just to have something on the game while I watched it.  Great ending with a ballsy call with only 6 seconds left.

Very gutsy call. I don't think you make that call unless you have a qb the caliber of Deshaun Watson back there and a reliable O-line. That could have gone sideways quick if he clock ran out ie. got sacked, ran around too much, threw it up for grabs, etc.

I was listening to mike and mike this morning and greenies brought up an interesting point.  He was saying Alabama corners should have tackled the receivers once the ball was hiked. That would have wasted 2-3 seconds off the clock essentially forcing Clemson to kick a field goal and send it into overtime. Kind of like the intentional foul in basketball when a team is up three and youncommit a foul to give up two free throws.

I've always thought there are situations in football where you should let the team score and get the last possession. But this is an interesting strategy

qwerty said:
I was listening to mike and mike this morning and greenies brought up an interesting point.  He was saying Alabama corners should have tackled the receivers once the ball was hiked. That would have wasted 2-3 seconds off the clock essentially forcing Clemson to kick a field goal and send it into overtime. Kind of like the intentional foul in basketball when a team is up three and youncommit a foul to give up two free throws.

I've always thought there are situations in football where you should let the team score and get the last possession. But this is an interesting strategy
That's a interesting strategy but I thought the game cannot end on a defensive penalty? I think Clemson would have gotten an untimed down if the clock had  run out.  But at least at that point I think it would have forced Clemson into a FG if there was no time on the clock and an untimed down.

I thought the onside kick was both brilliant strategy and brilliantly executed.

BruinDoc said:
qwerty said:

That's a interesting strategy but I thought the game cannot end on a defensive penalty? I think Clemson would have gotten an untimed down if the clock had  run out.  But at least at that point I think it would have forced Clemson into a FG if there was no time on the clock and an untimed down.

The Clemson coach was asked what he would've done if he had one last play (untimed or not) if that td pass didn't work.  He said he would've kicked the FG and gone into OT. 

Alabama should've committed PI on their WRs and forced Clemson into that decision. 

paydawg said:
BruinDoc said:
qwerty said:

The Clemson coach was asked what he would've done if he had one last play (untimed or not) if that td pass didn't work.  He said he would've kicked the FG and gone into OT. 

Alabama should've committed PI on their WRs and forced Clemson into that decision.
Watson would have ran right into the end zone in that scenario. If all the DB's tackled the wideouts, everyone would be on the ground, you'd have a flag (game can't end on a defensive penalty) and Watson would have just walked into the end zone (since he was already out of contain). 

Back