Cautionary: Schools associated with Watermarke

NoWowway_IHB

The school system for Watermarke is Santa Ana Unified School District. It is arguably the worst run school district with the worst scores, in OC- and a contender for that title in all of California.

You're paying a lot of money for an Irvine address that is underserved by neighboring SAUSD. FYI.

[quote author="NoWowway" date=1213413996]The school system for Watermarke is Santa Ana Unified School District. It is arguably the worst run school district with the worst scores, in OC- and a contender for that title in all of California.

You're paying a lot of money for an Irvine address that is underserved by neighboring SAUSD. FYI.</blockquote>

I wouldn't put SAUSD down especially given the context of the socioeconomic demographics of the district. They do pretty good for what resources and students they have. SAUSD got 2 out of the top <a href="http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister/news/education/article_2048639.php">10 best high schools</a> in OC according to the OC Register. They ranked higher than Northwood and Woodbridge, not bad in my book.

IAC,

Both of those schools are pretty unique for sure. The O. C. H. S. A. (Orange County High School of the Arts) has students coming from places like Pasadena, San Bernardino and other distant cities. You can see the kids coming in on trains in the am. It is <strong>heavily</strong> populated by talented students from Irvine, Tustin, Newport Beach and other OC school districts. It is very specialized and I don't know how much the school district actually has to do with the running of it. The Middle College High School at Santa Ana College is also a very small and unique program. Upon completion, the students not only get a diploma from H.S., but they also earn an Associates Degree from the community college. These students are selected for each of these programs. The Middle College program has around 300 students, I believe.

SAUSD actually receives more funding than IUSD per pupil. The district has a couple of pet schools that it supports with decent administrators and good teaching staff. But there have been instances of outright fraud, lies and other crimes that have made the newspapers on a regular basis. The dropout rate is huge. There are gangs, violence and disorganization at every level in the city. There is a lack of planning and a lack of true leadership. It is all about self-interests.

I noticed that MacArthur is the Middle School assigned to Watermarke. That is a decent fundamental school, but I would take ANY of the Irvine middle schools over this site. Lathrop was another mentioned and that place is a disaster and, frankly, dangerous. Saddleback High School has some solid teachers and some good programs, but a series of bad choices for administrators really stripped the campus bare of a well-rounded and experienced staff. ANY of the IUSD high schools are superior to Saddleback and Chavez (the other H.S. mentioned).

The Mayor, the School Board members and council members all send their kids to Mater Dei, Irvine schools, one of the two schools you mentioned or other private schools. It's a mess. As a parent facing SAUSD choices, you'd either have to be super determined and lucky to attend a special program HS, or you'd have to get out a checkbook for monthly private school payments.

If I'm a parent with the means, I will definitely stick to schools in Irvine, Newport, Fountain Valley, or Huntington Beach.

I would stay away from Tustin, Santa Ana, Costa Mesa, Garden Grove, and Orange.

As for Westminster, the Garden Grove/Huntington borders have crappy schools.

The Fountain Valley border has good schools.

[quote author="hs_teacher" date=1213428559]If I'm a parent with the means, I will definitely stick to schools in Irvine, Newport, Fountain Valley, or Huntington Beach.

I would stay away from Tustin, Santa Ana, Costa Mesa, Garden Grove, and Orange.

As for Westminster, the Garden Grove/Huntington borders have crappy schools.

The Fountain Valley border has good schools.</blockquote>

<strong>

That is painting with a broad brush, no?</strong>

There are some fine schools in Tustin, CM, and Orange (GG i don't know)

and some crappy schools in FV and HB.

It seems to me that for RE values, it is the elementary school nearby that determines perception most, no?

seriously... beckman and foothill are find tustin schools. your children will also do fine in vp or canyon in orange unified.

hey acpme... beckman is actually located in irvine. foothill is located outside of tustin. Villa Park is not in Orange. And Canyon is in Anaheim Hills. I was referring to actual cities rather than districts.

Underperforming schools are:

1. Tustin High in Tustin.

2. Most Santa Ana schools.

3. Estancia and Costa Mesa High in Costa Mesa.

4. Most Garden Grove schools, except Pacifica.

5. Orange High in Orange.

Some of the best local high schools are:

University High School (too competitive)

Corona Del Mar High School (too rich)

Northwood High School (still too rich?)

La Quinta High School (a little poor)

Woodbridge High School (nice)

Foothill High School (nice, but too north)

Irvine High School (nice)

Fountain Valley High School (nice)

Arnold O. Beckman High School (nice)

All these good schools are in: Irvine, Newport, Westminster (on the border of Fountain Valley), Santa Ana (92705 of course), & Fountain Valley.

I have a theory that high school age kids are mostly likely to get in trouble. And thus, the "niceness" or quality of a neighborhood is affected by the local high schools. What's the point of living in a million dollar home when your child has to deal with gangbangers at school?

Locally, if being close to a good school is important, I would live:

a) anywhere in Irvine not touching Santa Ana

b) anywhere in Newport not touching Costa Mesa

c) anywhere in Fountain Valley not touching Santa Ana

d) anywhere in Huntington Beach not touching Westminster

FreedomCM:

<em>It seems to me that for RE values, it is the elementary school nearby that determines perception most, no? </em>

If you don't have children or your children are young, this would seem to make sense. But the bigger picture is that each level of school is important in the education of neighborhood children. You cannot go wrong at the elementary level, in Irvine. There are many many "California Distinguished Schools" awards at the elementary level. In Irvine, you have a fairly well-off level of income, parents tend to be educated and there are healthy activity choices for young school aged children after school and during the summers. This kind of environment equates to productive, healthy, intelligent expectations of how to spend time. In Irvine, the drama in elementary schools is minimal, outside of special classes for students who have significant emotional needs.

Middle School/Junior high is a troubled, critical time for many young people. You want a school with a disciplinary plan. You want teachers who are firm, fair and creative in dealing with emerging personalities of these pre-teen/teen groups of students. You want a school district that has a helpful campus police presence and decent counseling figures to help this age group navigate good choices. It is very important that sports, music, drama, and other extra curricular programs be funded and in place for students to participate in. Irvine has all this. Middle school is still a pain, but at least good structure is in place to deal with problems.

I agree, fully, with hs_teacher: <em> I have a theory that high school age kids are mostly likely to get in trouble. And thus, the ?niceness? or quality of a neighborhood is affected by the local high schools. What?s the point of living in a million dollar home when your child has to deal with gangbangers at school? </em>

Who your kids hang around with is important at EVERY LEVEL. If they have "good" friends, you are less likely to have police contact or other issues with school and community. Having your kid involved in a variety of activities to fill their time is an excellent strategy to set them right from the beginning. We all take the parks, libraries, sports teams, excellent schooling, safe community and excellent city planning for granted sometimes. Santa Ana lacks these things and the community functions well below the Irvine expectations. In the declining RE market, parents would do well to hold out for entry prices in Irvine, rather than taking the "cheap" route and buying in SA.

If you are going to live in Irvine and attend schools in Santa Ana, you need to be forewarned if you have school aged children.

thanks for clearing it up. it helps if people clarify whether they're referring to district or city. i guess i wasnt clear. VP and Canyon are both OUSD so i was thinking that there are several parts of orange where your kids could go to either.

I do sponsor a few student at Arnold B. to help with them with there Ballroom lessons (small grant).

Hopefully things go well, we will see.

good luck

-bix

Back