Case Study House # 22 - The Stahl House

Trooper_IHB

<p>Morning all. I had a moment of architectural brilliance yesterday....I saw The Stahl House first hand. <a href="http://www.wirtzgallery.com/exhibitions/2003/2003_06/shulman/js03.html">Julius Shulman - Stephen Wirtz Gallery</a></p>

<p>This is the story. I was patrolling the HWD Hills and was stopped by a citizen to chat. He pointed to a neighboring hill where he heard a burglary had occurred a few weeks ago (the Hills are like a maze and very confusing to navigate with many dead ends). As I looked over, I happened to see a beautiful, white modern house perched on a bluff...hanging out over a cliff. Now, don't get me wrong...there are tons of beautiful and interesting homes in the Hills, but something about this one made me stop and stare. I thought to myself, "I've seen that house somewhere before". </p>

<p>I finished my conversation with the neighbor and drove a little further down the street. I stopped again to get a better vantage of the house... I knew I recognized the "glass peninsula" to the rear of the place....then it hit me ! This is one of those Case Study Houses and I thought of that famous photograph that I had seen a hundred times before <a href="http://www.greatbuildings.com/buildings/Case_Study_House_22.html">Stahl House, Case Study House No. 22 - Pierre Koenig - Great Buildings Online</a></p>

<p>I saw about 10-15 people milling about in the back yard and inside the house...I thought, "Oh my gosh, they're giving a tour"! I immediately planned on inserting myself into that tour ! ;) I figured that the house was privately owned and not open to the public, otherwise I would have seen the tours advertised on the LA architectural blogs. </p>

<p>Now let me tell you, I drove and drove and drove for almost an hour, trying to get to this place. I was aside it, I was above it, I was below and diagonal to it...but I couldn't find it ! (and I have a Garmin Nuvi....but alas, no address to guide me). When I found myself directly below it again, looking up at the people peering out the glass peninsula...I almost started tearing up ! ;) I was afraid "the tour" was going to end, they would shut the doors and gate and I would never see it. By luck, a US Postal Service guy pulled up delivering mail. I pointed above my head and said, "what street is that house on"? As I did so, one of the people looking out the window saw me pointing and waved ! (At this point, I wanted to give them the finger ....) jk</p>

<p>Postal Dude says, "That's Woods Drive". I said..."But I've been on Woods Drive already, it's a dead end and I don't see it". He told me it was behind a big, white gate and that you can't see it from the street. .....my heart just sank. Crap....I'm not going to be able to see it.....sigh.</p>

<p>Well, being the pesky, persevering type A that I am...I drove up to Woods Drive. I mean...I was in uniform...in a police car...right ?! ;) To my great delight, I found the gate...and it was OPEN ! It's apparently a private portion of Woods Drive with about 5 houses on it, well within my "patrol area". ;)</p>

<p>So up the hill I drove and arrived outside it's walls. There was a flurry of activity going on, and I saw a food table set up in the carport. (to you novice Hollywood types, a table full of food means "Craft Services"...which is the nickname of caterers for movie and photo shoots). So, figuring that it must be being rented out...again, my heart sank. I couldn't trespass on a movie set !....or could I ? ;) </p>

<p>I figured I had gotten this far and been stressed enough finding it, a little peek wouldn't hurt. I introduced myself to one of the photogs in the carport and asked if he thought it was OK if I took a quick peek inside the rear gate, just to see what I could of the house without intruding. He said, "Sure, we're doing a photo shoot with Heidi Klum <a href="http://television.aol.com/celebrity/heidi-klum/278408/bio">Heidi Klum - Biography - AOL Television</a> and we're waiting for the cloud cover to burn off before we start...so we're just killing time". I stepped up to the gate and walked into the back yard. When I looked over at the house, it actually took my breath away. It was stunning (no, not Heidi....well....)....one of the most beautiful homes that I've ever seen....(The Gamble House <a href="http://www.gamblehouse.org/">The Gamble House by Greene & Greene in Pasadena, California: official website</a> being my personal favorite). Heidi was sitting in the glass area while people were flitting about her, fussing with her hair. I heard a man singing and thought, "no...that can't be Seal....but it was ! <a href="http://music.aol.com/artist/seal/biography/1004634">Seal Biography - AOL Music</a></p>

<p>So in a nutshell, I got a glimpse of Case Study House # 22, saw Heidi Klum and Seal, AND heard him singing to his bride ! What a day. It will be hard to top.</p>

<p>OH YEAH, I forgot to mention that I met the daughter-in-law of the original owner, Mrs. Stahl, who was on site overseeing the property during the photo shoot. She was gracious and offered to tour me through the house but I felt that I would be intruding on the crew. I asked if I might be able to come back sometime and see it...she said they only allow architectural students to view it and rarely at that. Then she asked if I was off on Sunday....I said....yessssss. She offered up that another photo shoot was due in that day and if I came 30 mins early, she would give me a private tour.</p>

<p>SO, I didn't think yesterday could be topped.....but apparently, tomorrow will do just that ! I'll see if she'll let me take some pics, but everything is on Google already. Woo Hoo....score one for Trooper ! </p>

That sounds like great fun! Been many years since I visited modern marvel houses up in the hills. Wonder if we'll ever have stuff like that in OC.

<p>Trooper</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Nice way to spend your day. Any chance you can post pix of the house and any "hot chicks".</p>

<p>LOL</p>

<p>Your favorite redneck!!!!</p>

<p>Enjoy!!</p>

I used to live in a house on the street directly below that house-- From 2005-2007. Someone told me that James Dean's manager was the guy in the wheel chair. The place next door to the Stahl house had its retaining wall fall down in 2004 and damage a house below it. Now, someone tell me I'm full of it, and we'll move on.

<p>OK, seriously....I need a tissue. Call just came in from Mrs. Stahl...photoshoot moved to later in afternoon....I am scheduled to work my side job then...called boss to see if I could get a replacement.....no one else available.....omg omg omg omg.....profound sadness. </p>

<p>On a lighter note, she said she'd call me to advise about the next photoshoot....we'll try again. </p>

<p>sigh.</p>

Oh, Troop! That's so sad! But I'm a Heidi Klum fan, so I'm already WAY jealous. I can't wait to hear about it if you get to go back.

<p>Trooper that is an awsome story. If you get a chance, I say you should make it on "down" to see Hearst Castle. I've been to the Gamble house a few times. Anyways good luck and keep up the good work.</p>

<p>-bix</p>

Bix, I did the night tour of Hearst Castle about 3 yrs ago...it was beautiful ! The pools are unbelievable. Gamble has it beat though, IMHO.

Trooper,

Do you still have Mrs. Stahl's contact information? I teach architecture here in North Carolina, and am planning a tour of Los Angeles with a group of students. I know (as she mentioned to you) that she has been known to open her house to architecture students - I just don't know how to get in touch with her.

If you do have her information, but would prefer not to give it over the forum, I can send you my email address. Let me know,

Best,

Jeff

[quote author="jdbalmer" date=1213790807]Trooper,

Do you still have Mrs. Stahl's contact information? I teach architecture here in North Carolina, and am planning a tour of Los Angeles with a group of students. I know (as she mentioned to you) that she has been known to open her house to architecture students - I just don't know how to get in touch with her.

If you do have her information, but would prefer not to give it over the forum, I can send you my email address. Let me know,

Best,

Jeff</blockquote>

This house is used frequently for films and advertsing. I do not think the owner lived there. There is a website where you can find the location and contacts of properties listed for filming.

jd, I do have her contact information. PM me your email address and I will forward it to her. No promises though.

bk is correct, they do photo shoots there frequently. You might have better luck Googling how to "rent" CSH #22 and getting in touch with the handlers that way. The house is occupied on and off by family.

Here is a blog with pics.....no, I'm not Myrtle. <a href="http://meatismyrtle.wordpress.com/2007/12/04/myrtle-visits-her-dream-house/">CSH 22</a>

ok, found the website. <a href="http://www.stahlhouse.com/">Stahl House</a> then click "contact us/schedule a tour".

Back