Bull-Nose or Square Interior Corners

Do you prefer Bull-Nose (rounded corners) or Square Interior Corners? Square corners can be found mostly in pre-90s developments where as, the post 90s designs incorporate the bull-nose. What are your pro & cons and reasons of both? I've noticed in some Quail Hill condos, there is a combination of both; this is probably due to the fact that some walls are structurally supported and some are not. Quick Question: What is the proper way to paint adjoining colors in a bull-nose corner?

Hehe... I voted both because any place with bullnose has to have both (think about it).

As for painting... a straight transition line is fine... we did that at our old house and I've seen it done in others. The trick is just to paint areas connected by bullnose corners the same color. Use different ones for non-adjoining rooms/spaces.

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1236929694]Swiss Coffee all the way and no paint transition to deal with.</blockquote>
I think you're related to my sig-other.

Round corner is extremely awkward for the baseboard at the outside corner. A simple 90 degree corner would leave a gap. Corbels would require a crisp 90 degree and running the round corner into intricate corbels is wrong. It is easier to patch and paint. It does not cost more than square corner.

Crisp corners are very easy to get ding and especially when moving furniture and appliances into the house. It is also too difficult to patch. When done well it is stunning. It is a must for modern houses. It is ideal for intricate details.

http://i44.tinypic.com/2lafta8.jpg

I've been trying to observe characteristics of new developments in order to update & renovate an older house. While the rounded look is definitely post-90's, it seems that the ultra-modern/minimalist look has square corners... so I think new tract-home developments might go back to that look again.

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1236930277]Round corner is extremely awkward for the baseboard at the outside corner. A simple 90 degree corner would leave a gap. Corbels would require a crisp 90 degree and running the round corner into intricate corbels is wrong. It is easier to patch and paint. It does not cost more than square corner.

Crisp corners are very easy to get ding and especially when moving furniture and appliances into the house. It is also too difficult to patch. When done well it is stunning. It is a must for modern houses. It is ideal for intricate details.</blockquote>

All the bullnose corners done by the builders around here I have seen use a straight baseboard piece with 22.5 degree angles. Gap is minimized but I like the round corner base look better. When I re-did the 711 base in the bathroom of my condo, I bought radius base pieces for the bullnose corners. World of Moulding in SA rocks!

I have seen some really great bull-nose conversions in Westpark; it gives a well needed face life to the floorplan. What blows my mind is when they not only use bull-nose protruding corners, but also use bull-nose inverted corners. It gives it a nice "cheese cake factory" look with the right texture paint.

[quote author="roundcorners" date=1237002668]I have seen some really great bull-nose conversions in Westpark; it gives a well needed face life to the floorplan. What blows my mind is when they not only use bull-nose protruding corners, but also use bull-nose inverted corners. It gives it a nice "cheese cake factory" look with the right texture paint.</blockquote>

I don't know if a"Cheesecake Factory" look is actually desirable.

[quote author="freedomCM" date=1241321261]I still don't know what the hell you all are talking about.

does anyone have illustrating pictures or diagrams?</blockquote>

In the early 90's Bull-Nose was an option that you could do before the drywall went up and the builders would charge about $800 or so to do it. So that is why some homes in a tract would have it and some would not. In the early 90's things where bad so it got to the point by the mid 90's that builders stopped charging for it because a lot of them where including this option to make sales. Since then i have maybe had less than handful of people wanting square corners but that was when i was working in the inland empire.

[quote author="OCCOBRA" date=1241948848][quote author="freedomCM" date=1241321261]I still don't know what the hell you all are talking about.

In the early 90's Bull-Nose was an option that you could do before the drywall went up and the builders would charge about $800 or so to do it. So that is why some homes in a tract would have it and some would not. In the early 90's things where bad so it got to the point by the mid 90's that builders stopped charging for it because a lot of them where including this option to make sales. Since then i have maybe had less than handful of people wanting square corners but that was when i was working in the inland empire.</blockquote>

It probably costs the same bullnose or square, they are both this metal strip that they nail to the frame...

[quote author="freedomCM" date=1241321261]I still don't know what the hell you all are talking about.

Inverted corners, you know, say, you are in a room and you walk into one of the corners; instead of it being a perpendicular; it's rounded. I can?t find a picture?

Back