Building a backyard wall

blue_IHB

My father currently owns a house in Anaheim and has decided that the 3 ft metal high fence in his back yard with his neighbor is no good and wants to put up a high brick wall there instead. What are the rules and regulations on doing this, and how does he get started on it?

he should bid out the job. lots of small contractors looking for work.

why not a tall wood fence? much less expense.

I think that brick/block walls have to have rebar supporting them to pass inspection.

I too am in need of a new wall in the backyard (though much shorter- think a planter wall you can sit on). I know that there are alot of idle contractors right now- but I don't know where to start to find a reputable one. Any good sources out there that people are willing to share? Thanks in advance

I'm actually ready to have my back wall replaced also. Since I don't share it with anyone except a park, I don't have to worry about neighbor's approval. I'm wondering what the backyard fence permits are like in different cities. In SA, it was a nightmare to get a permit for my front yard picket fence in my last house (even though the permit was free and the fence was the perfect addition to the style of the house, long story). I would also like some names and numbers from anyone who has had good luck with a contractor.

[quote author="tmare" date=1239670332]I'm actually ready to have my back wall replaced also. Since I don't share it with anyone except a park, I don't have to worry about neighbor's approval. I'm wondering what the backyard fence permits are like in different cities. In SA, it was a nightmare to get a permit for my front yard picket fence in my last house (even though the permit was free and the fence was the perfect addition to the style of the house, long story). I would also like some names and numbers from anyone who has had good luck with a contractor.</blockquote>

You just gave away your home location. Check the Grapevine link in <a href="http://www.Floralpark.com">www.Floralpark.com</a> for approved list of contractors.

I guess I may have given away the street, if anyone has paid attention (or cares). I really think they are much more interested in your locale, bk.

So will the contractor know all the regulations and laws regarding this? Is there anything my father needs to do with the neighbor whom he shares that metal fence with?

At the very least he would need to discuss it with the neighbor and get his approval. At the very most, maybe he'll split the cost depending on the property line and condition of the current fence.

[quote author="blue" date=1239675613]So will the contractor know all the regulations and laws regarding this? Is there anything my father needs to do with the neighbor whom he shares that metal fence with?</blockquote>

The contractor should definitely know. <a href="http://www.cityofirvine.org/depts/cd/buildingsafety/permits_required/default.asp">In irvine</a> you don't need a permit as long as the wall is under 6 feet tall. I would start by calling contractors to come out and give you an estimate.

Is he splitting the cost with the neighbor?

I looked for a simular document that joeyp linked to from city of Irvine, and sure enough Anaheim has the exact same thing. Thanks for the help. Much appreciate it all.

Just my 2 cents, but I've found that working with contractors, although they should know the regulations and obtain the necessary permits, they don't always. You have to really look out for yourself and do your own investigating. Also, I would encourage he give his neighbor the courtesy of a head's up. I once had a neighbor replace our shared fence... on a weekend we were having company over using the patio at the time... without ever discussing it with us... and we had staggered lots (not sure if your dad does) but the fencing they put it did not match the rest of that stretch. We were irritated. To maintain neighborly relations, he may want to work out a time that is good for both parties involved (or maybe he doesn't like his neighbor, hence the high brick wall!)

[quote author="joeyp" date=1239680050]The contractor should definitely know. <a href="http://www.cityofirvine.org/depts/cd/buildingsafety/permits_required/default.asp">In irvine</a> you don't need a permit as long as the wall is under 6 feet tall. I would start by calling contractors to come out and give you an estimate. </blockquote>

Are you sure about that? I don't interpret that site as saying you do not needing a permit for a block wall. It does mention fence, with the difference being that if you don't foot a fence well enough and it falls over, it probably won't kill anyone or majorly damage structure.

Talked to the hubby who is a city planner. It all depends on their definition of a fence.

Typically its no permit if its wood fence but you do need it if its brick/concrete wall, so I would call Irvine to double check.

If you build a block wall, make sure you build it on your side of the property line. And the existing fence is not necessarily on your side of the property line. And you may not tear down the existing fence if it is not on your side of the property line.

[quote author="Daedalus" date=1239685941][quote author="joeyp" date=1239680050]The contractor should definitely know. <a href="http://www.cityofirvine.org/depts/cd/buildingsafety/permits_required/default.asp">In irvine</a> you don't need a permit as long as the wall is under 6 feet tall. I would start by calling contractors to come out and give you an estimate. </blockquote>

Are you sure about that? I don't interpret that site as saying you do not needing a permit for a block wall. It does mention fence, with the difference being that if you don't foot a fence well enough and it falls over, it probably won't kill anyone or majorly damage structure.</blockquote>

I went through this about 5 years ago. I went down to the City of Irvine planning office and tried to get a permit for a block wall, and that's what they told me: "no permit needed". A neighbor told me that he did it about 10 years ago in another city. He had to get a permit and had to have the footings inspected before they could finish the wall.

How tall was the wall you built? I assume in this case the wall will be close to 6' tall, since its purpose is for privacy. A block and concrete wall that tall, stretching 40', would weigh about 12 tons. Per code, it could also be less than 5' from the nearest structure, depending on lot width. It would seem unlikely that any city or county would not require permits/inspections for something like this that simply must be built right.

<a href="http://user.govoutreach.com/anaheim/faq.php?cid=3741">Anaheim requirements.</a>

[quote author="Daedalus" date=1239763820]How tall was the wall you built? I assume in this case the wall will be close to 6' tall, since its purpose is for privacy. A block and concrete wall that tall, stretching 40', would weigh about 12 tons. Per code, it could also be less than 5' from the nearest structure, depending on lot width. It would seem unlikely that any city or county would not require permits/inspections for something like this that simply must be built right.

<a href="http://user.govoutreach.com/anaheim/faq.php?cid=3741">Anaheim requirements.</a></blockquote>

The wall we had built was nominally 6' tall. Or, as the contractor put it, the next block above 6'. The yard slopes some, but the fence is level. So the wall varies from about 6' to 6'6" or so. We back against a street, and a substantial remodel was going on across that street, so I'm sure city inspectors saw our wall going up. They never came over.

You could just stop into the City planning office near city hall and ask. It didn't take long, maybe 5 minutes waiting in line. After that I went to another office (I forget what they call it, plans or architecture) and asked to see the original blueprints of our house. They had them on microfilm and let me look at it. They wouldn't let me make copies of any kind, due to copyright issues.

Back