Builder floorplan focus groups.

Bubblegum_IHB

Anybody else get surveyed to attend a paid focus group on future floorplans that are "likely" to be TIC products? I'll just say that the TIC is still thinking WTF prices with $1M buying a 4000 sq ft lot.

[quote author="Bubblegum" date=1223629288]Anybody else get surveyed to attend a paid focus group on future floorplans that are "likely" to be TIC products? I'll just say that the TIC is still thinking WTF prices with $1M buying a 4000 sq ft lot.</blockquote>
I did it a few times, but the focus groups were for their apartment complexes.

It was an easy $50 and free dinner. It was fun too!

I had fun as well, the 2 hours went by pretty quick. I had high hopes for innovative floorplans but was sorely disappointed. We went through 3 floorplans and I would not buy any of them, not for the targeted price they were proposing. I don't blame the builder it's TIC that needs to get back to reality or should I say 2001.

[quote author="Bubblegum" date=1223629728]I had fun as well, the 2 hours went by pretty quick. I had high hopes for innovative floorplans but was sorely disappointed. We went through 3 floorplans and I would not buy any of them, not for the targeted price they were proposing. I don't blame the builder it's TIC that needs to get back to reality or should I say 2001.</blockquote>

Which session did you attend on Tuesday or Wednesday? 4:30, 6, or 8pm by SC plaza? Were you leaving the parking structure about 8pm on Wed night?

That sounds like fun. You guys are all so lucky. I love to go in and visit all the new models... we spend weekend after weekend doing that just for fun. How did they get your contact info?

Damn BK, you're good! Obviously, you wouldn't qualify to be part of the focus group ;). You'd probably rip all the designs to shreds.

BTW, my session was yesterday, 8pm by SC plaza.

[quote author="Bubblegum" date=1223636188]Damn BK, you're good! Obviously, you wouldn't qualify to be part of the focus group ;). You'd probably rip all the designs to shreds.

BTW, my session was yesterday, 8pm by SC plaza.</blockquote>

How was Barb the moderator and the one way glass? 50x80 lots.

:ahhh: Why do I have a feeling that BK was behind that mirror staring in on us. I bet you'll be one of the people reviewing the video tape. Barb, did a good job keeping us focused on the design aspects in relation to our practical / emotional values in a home.

[quote author="Bubblegum" date=1223636863]:ahhh: Why do I have a feeling that BK was behind that mirror staring in on us. I bet you'll be one of the people reviewing the video tape. Barb, did a good job keeping us focused on the design aspects in relation to our practical / emotional values in a home.</blockquote>

Here is JCaraway's quote from Harbor Lofts. "jwlam, don?t listen to bkshopr, he or she is some sort of feng shui consultant (it?s like being an acupunturist or chiropractor or soothsayer, but less profitable). The floor plans aren?t for everyone but they are forward thinking and appeal to those looking for something beyond the conforming, spanish colonial IAC style. Lee homes is a good, east coast builder"

He thinks I am just a BS-er. I do study consumer demographics and their psychology very carefully. This "think tank" process is crucial to successful products. like I said before new home bench mark prices could be a shocker to buyers mental price projection. My acupuncture skill would come in handy for suppressing the buyers pinched nerve.

I am afraid that feng shui will not work in buyers favor. As a fortune teller be prepared for plan B.

JCaraway is right I am all of the above except for the word "less".

[quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1223640071]How do you get into these focus groups? Sometimes I really don't understand the floorplans in TIC SFRs.</blockquote>

They had my cell and knew my name, they called and asked if I'd be willing to take a brief Irvine housing survey. It was one of those rare times when I said yes and this led to the focus group. Somehow my profile got in their system, might have been through the TIC interest lists.

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1223639387]

I am afraid that feng shui will not work in buyers favor. As a fortune teller be prepared for plan B.

</blockquote>

BK, I hope there are better designs out there than the ones we surveyed!! Please tell me there are more creative architects designing for TIC. Plan B, yeah the front door was nearly inline with the back door, I thought of BK when I saw that!

[quote author="Bubblegum" date=1223646463][quote author="bkshopr" date=1223639387]

</blockquote>

BK, I hope there are better designs out there than the ones we surveyed!! Please tell me there are more creative architects designing for TIC. Plan B, yeah the front door was nearly inline with the back door, I thought of BK when I saw that!</blockquote>

I am sad to say many architects designing products knew little about feng shui. IHBers knew way more than the professionals creating those plans. Thank you for thinking about me!!!

Have you guys seen Woodbury's Four Quartets by John Laing - Residence 5? You open the front door and right in front of you is a huge, steep flight of stairs going upstairs to the living space. It's very strange. It can't be good for feng shui I would think... but more than that, I just get tired thinking of how many stairs you have to climb everytime you come into the house... or answer the door, etc. You just open the front door and it's a mountain of stairs.

These can be interesting. I've attended some (for new homes) this year and last. I am almost certain they get your contact info from TIC interest lists. One of the sessions even had some moments of moderator-tolerated Bren bashing, which was kind of amusing.

The session I attended earlier this year revealed rather starkly there was a growing disconnect between TIC and the consumers regarding price expectations. The plans they were showing at the prices being discussed were non-starters.

-SCHB

I used to put these on by hiring a company to do the interviews, construct the questions, and review the outcomes. It was very interesting to get the various inputs and try to come up with a floorplan or program to make sense.

Sometimes we used them not to find out what people wanted the most but to try to stay away from what they wanted least. People will often settle for things that don't completly fit their needs but often will passs on a home if there is one thing that they feel strongly against.

The final product was always controlled by the dollar per square foot construction cost against the projected market price.

The bean counters often trumped the maketing types.

Enjoy!

Back