Babysitting

What is the going rate for babysitting?

• Total voters

irvinerealtor

I don't know what the current standard for babysitting is but was curious to see what the going rate is around town and wanted to know expectations (certifications, CPR training, etc) for any of you willing to share.

Thanks in advance,
-IR2

We sometimes use a relative which results in no monetary exchange but I would think $10-15 is fair considering the responsibility. A trained/CPR/kid-friendly sitter should pull in at least that... the neighborhood responsible teenager... maybe less.

I'd be interested to see some posts regarding experience and how parents came to choose the sitter. Not sure how often sitters are used nowadays considering the many options and the fact that FCBs usually have built-in sitters (heh).

irvinehomeowner said:
We sometimes use a relative which results in no monetary exchange but I would think $10-15 is fair considering the responsibility. A trained/CPR/kid-friendly sitter should pull in at least that... the neighborhood responsible teenager... maybe less.

I'd be interested to see some posts regarding experience and how parents came to choose the sitter. Not sure how often sitters are used nowadays considering the many options and the fact that FCBs usually have built-in sitters (heh).

Used a nanny referral service. They sent us multiple resumes and the company did background checks. A one time fee applies and you negotiate a rate with the person.

We had a friend that was unemployed at the time and already knew the boys.  Was a responsible person and great with our boys.  We paid the $12-$15/hr range.  Worked out well for the time.

We've had friends put up flyers at a local grocery store and it worked out ok for them too.  Of course they wanted references and checks.

Back