application for new landfill activity

mikebruin

I wanted to get the opinions and feedback of experts here. Just received a letter that OC Waste & Recycling is seeking to revise their permit from purely green composting to now including food waste and manure. If people thought the landfill was smelly before, they haven't seen anything yet.

Is there any hope to squashing this down? I understand on the one hand, we need to play our part for the environment, but is there any alternative out of this? I suppose the silver lining is homes will come down in price and be more affordable for those looking to buy?

I just shudder at the thought of having smell issues like in Ontario at certain points - eventually you get used to the smell and don't notice it as much, but not sure if that's a good thing. If I'm sitting in a pile of dog doodoo and after awhile I don't smell it anymore, is it a good thing that I've become numb? I don't think so.

Seems a bit odd, most cattle and poultry operations have moved out of the area, and manure is actually worth $$. Price went up quite a bit at retail level (home depot) too.

Back