Anyone rent out a bedroom? pros/cons?

rkp

we are looking at houses and some are way bigger than we need and some even have casitas.  some agents have casually mentioned renting out the casita for $700-800 which is pretty nice.  any one done this before?  pros and cons?  i dont like idea of someone in my house but if its a guest house or casita, might be an option. 

rkp said:
we are looking at houses and some are way bigger than we need and some even have casitas.  some agents have casually mentioned renting out the casita for $700-800 which is pretty nice.  any one done this before?  pros and cons?  i dont like idea of someone in my house but if its a guest house or casita, might be an option. 
If the property is in Irvine, you'll easily be able to get over $800 (more like $900 to $1,000 plus some money for utilities if it includes a private bath and full access to the kitchen and laundry).  I rented one of my rooms in my condo because I was busy working 10+ hours a day and then gone on weekends so I barely ever saw my tenant.  I screened several people before I got that good "gutt" feeling about the tenant that I picked. 

rkp said:

Sounds like you can make some extra cash but my concerns have to do with safety. I've got young kids and would not feel comfortable having a stranger live on my property and have access to my home. If I did do it, I would screen out men and make the tenant get a live scan criminal background check.

iacrenter said:
rkp said:

Sounds like you can make some extra cash but my concerns have to do with safety. I've got young kids and would not feel comfortable having a stranger live on my property and have access to my home. If I did do it, I would screen out men and make the tenant get a live scan criminal background check.

Totally agree.  We have a 1.5 year old daughter and last thing I want to do is put her at risk.  I wouldnt give house privileges and just access to the casita so it wouldnt be too bad (separate door and totally disconnected from main house and backyard).

I honestly doubt I will end up doing any of this but just wanted to think through it.  Most likely will turn that kind of room into an office or hobby room.

just fyi..i used to live in a house where 4 rms were rented to students..there are 7 bdrms there. out of 40 people they have rented (they stopped since they no longer need the $)., they got about 6-8 good guys that have become friends of family.rest have disappeared. the one that stayed in touch, some in the neighborhood or some abroad, make it seem like worthwhile. the owner always insisted on meeting the parents of the kid. not sure if that helps but they had a boy in hs alreayd.

Back