Any preschool/family daycare has less than 6 months waitlist in Irvine or surrounding area?

I heard good things about Turtlerock Preschool before, and I toured it three years ago. I liked the director a lot, but didn't care for the teacher of the class for my son's age. She just seemed too cold.

You can use your dependent care flexible spending dollows for day care.

I second Kayochan's suggestion. My kids go to Newport Montessori and we love it. The kids are doing so well there both academically and socially. The new school in Irvine will open in the fall.

[quote author="littlekitty" date=1240026882]dependent care cost deductible is 6000 for married filed jointly per year.</blockquote>

[quote author="tmare" date=1240026307]Licensed childcare is tax deductible up to a point. It will come up on Turbo Tax, enter the cost and it will deduct the correct amount (all if it isn't too much).</blockquote>

Child care costs are <strong>not deductible</strong> for income tax purposes.

[quote author="ipoplaya" date=1240031383][quote author="littlekitty" date=1240026882]dependent care cost deductible is 6000 for married filed jointly per year.</blockquote>

[quote author="tmare" date=1240026307]Licensed childcare is tax deductible up to a point. It will come up on Turbo Tax, enter the cost and it will deduct the correct amount (all if it isn't too much).</blockquote>

Child care costs are <strong>not deductible</strong> for income tax purposes.</blockquote>

<a href="http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=106189,00.html">Top Ten Facts About the Child and Dependent Care Credit</a>

Dependent care, whether it is a child or parent etc., is tax deductible in two ways. First, there is a maximum $5K limit in your flexible spending account that you select in October or November for the following year. This is a one for one tax deduction that reduces your income at the W-2 level. In addition, there is a second child care only tax credit which is only good for $3K for one child or $6K for two. With the FSA option, you can choose the credit for the remaining $1K. However the credit is income limited and only a partial credit. For higher income wage earners, it quickly drops to a credit at 20% of the spending amount. CA has a similar credit but it can be turned to zero by lower income limits. The FSA is probably your best bet.

[quote author="ocjohn" date=1240406944]Dependent care, whether it is a child or parent etc., is tax deductible in two ways. First, there is a maximum $5K limit in your flexible spending account that you select in October or November for the following year. This is a one for one tax deduction that reduces your income at the W-2 level. In addition, there is a second child care only tax credit which is only good for $3K for one child or $6K for two. With the FSA option, you can choose the credit for the remaining $1K. However the credit is income limited and only a partial credit. For higher income wage earners, it quickly drops to a credit at 20% of the spending amount. CA has a similar credit but it can be turned to zero by lower income limits. The FSA is probably your best bet.</blockquote>

You are confusing 1) a reduction in gross taxable income and 2) a tax credit with a tax deduction. Childcare is not tax deductible. You will not find it on a Schedule A where tax deductions are indicated. Tax credits and deductions do not function in the same fashion, i.e. they have different impacts on one's tax liability.

You have over-simplified with regards to the FSA. Not everyone can utilize a dependent care FSA. It's an employer-sponsored (not funded) and maintained plan and not all employers offer them. If your employer doesn't offer it, you can't just sign up for one retail... Also, FSA plan years are not necessarily on a calendar basis. For example, the one IUSD offers runs July-June. They open enroll in May... One may not even be able to utilize an DCFSA if a spouse is already participating in one via their employer at the $5K annual limit.

The best family day care in Orange County is your own home with the best teacher - you the mom who loves on her little one and wants the best for him.

[quote author="littlekitty" date=1239949148]We will move back to Irvine in half a year. I waitlisted my son when he was 1.5 years old on all irvine's montessori schools. Now he is 3 years old. I haven't heard from any of them. My son started going to preschool at 2.5. I don't really like the big chain preschools. The one we went to before, Kindercare, has way too many kids, 12 kids with 1 teacher. Now my son attends a family daycare. The teacher loves kids, they make crafts everyday. he is very happy. i don't care much about the academics. I just want to find a place that the teacher love their kids and can teach them good manners.

My husband works in mission viejo, so any preschool in irvine or mission viejo will work for us. can anyone give a recommendation? BTW, how do I search for family daycare?</blockquote>

Can you tell me which family daycare it is? I'm looking for my daughter who is 15 months old. You can email it to me if you want. Thanks for your reply.

We have had both our daughter (4) and our son (11mo) with an in home daycare in Turtle Rock. It is convenient to UCI where both my husband and I work, and she is wonderful with the kids. She is very patient and caring, all the children adore her. And she cooks them wonderful hot lunches! Our kids defiantly eat better than we do! I don't think she is less that the bigger daycares but she is great, especially with younger kids. I think she might have her quota for infants right now, but she defiantly has spaces for toddlers (the economy is hurting everyone :( ). We paid about $1190 for our older child, but she might be willing to take a bit less...

Let me know if you are interested and I can send you her information.

Back