Any advice/opinions on Crescent Heights???

baller4life_IHB

Hi all, long time lurker here.... I stumbled across the new development of Crescent Heights in Placentia yesturday and my wife and I were really impressed. I was wondering if anyone else had any insights/ thoughts on this area?? Also could use any advice about buying from a builder. The model we were looking at is plan 2 which is going for 650,000 with 3% credited to buyers who use their lender.

Just a little background about my situation.... married with a 1 year old and another one on the way. Work in LA and the wife in Irvine. Our target areas are mostly Irvine, Yorba Linda and Placentia and we are looking at a max of about 700,000. We've wanted to buy a home for the last 2 years but we've been waiting for prices to come down to a reasonable level (if that's possible in So Cal) and we have almost saved our 20% for downpayment.

Here is the link to the development http://www.livecrescentheights.com/ sorry, couldn't figure out how to make it a link. Thanks in advance for any advice/ opinions...

( <a href="http://www.livecrescentheights.com/">LINK HERE</a> - SoCal)

[quote author="looking to buy" date=1254791177]Hi all, long time lurker here.... I stumbled across the new development of Crescent Heights in Placentia yesturday and my wife and I were really impressed. I was wondering if anyone else had any insights/ thoughts on this area?? Also could use any advice about buying from a builder. The model we were looking at is plan 2 which is going for 650,000 with 3% credited to buyers who use their lender.

Just a little background about my situation.... married with a 1 year old and another one on the way. Work in LA and the wife in Irvine. Our target areas are mostly Irvine, Yorba Linda and Placentia and we are looking at a max of about 700,000. We've wanted to buy a home for the last 2 years but we've been waiting for prices to come down to a reasonable level (if that's possible in So Cal) and we have almost saved our 20% for downpayment.

Here is the link to the development http://www.livecrescentheights.com/ sorry, couldn't figure out how to make it a link. Thanks in advance for any advice/ opinions...</blockquote>
Hey Looking, thanks for posting up. There are two issues that I have about this development. The first is that it is located in a sort of "iffy" area and I'm certain that the schools are sub-par. The second issue is about buying from a small private builder like Etco homes. What happens if they go under? What happens to your warranty? Do not settle just because this is a new development. Have you taken a drive around the neighborhood? Irvine and Yorba Linda are 10x better than this area, in my opinion. DONT SETTLE!!!

This development is also mentioned in <a href="http://www.irvinehousingblog.com/forums/viewthread/5867/">this thread</a> (albeit a short one).

[quote author="USCTrojanCPA" date=1254795663]Hey Looking, thanks for posting up. There are two issues that I have about this development. The first is that it is located in a sort of "iffy" area and I'm certain that the schools are sub-par. The second issue is about buying from a small private builder like Etco homes. What happens if they go under? What happens to your warranty? Do not settle just because this is a new development. Have you taken a drive around the neighborhood? Irvine and Yorba Linda are 10x better than this area, in my opinion. DONT SETTLE!!!</blockquote>

Have you been to this area of Placentia? Because either your opinion of "iffy" is totally different than mine, or you have never been there. This is a pretty nice neighborhood, much like the rest of the Placentia area around Rose. I definitely wouldn't say that Yorba Linda is 10X better when it is only a couple of blocks away. You would have to confirm what high school they will be in, but Esperanza isn't that far away and it is a pretty good school.

[quote author="graphrix" date=1254799223][quote author="USCTrojanCPA" date=1254795663]Hey Looking, thanks for posting up. There are two issues that I have about this development. The first is that it is located in a sort of "iffy" area and I'm certain that the schools are sub-par. The second issue is about buying from a small private builder like Etco homes. What happens if they go under? What happens to your warranty? Do not settle just because this is a new development. Have you taken a drive around the neighborhood? Irvine and Yorba Linda are 10x better than this area, in my opinion. DONT SETTLE!!!</blockquote>

Have you been to this area of Placentia? Because either your opinion of "iffy" is totally different than mine, or you have never been there. This is a pretty nice neighborhood, much like the rest of the Placentia area around Rose. I definitely wouldn't say that Yorba Linda is 10X better when it is only a couple of blocks away. You would have to confirm what high school they will be in, but Esperanza isn't that far away and it is a pretty good school.</blockquote>

Yea, from the info that the sales rep gave me the schools are glenview elementary, bernardo yorba middle school and Esperanza high, which i think are all pretty decent schools. I'm not sure what is meant by "iffy" either (crime, gangs etc???) but I would like to know thx. Granted I haven't been through the area at night or anything but I pretty much felt like I was in Yorba Linda.

I never thought about the issue of buying from a small builder. Thanks for the input! I think they are only in phase 2 or 3 right now (out of 9 i think). The sales rep also said that the pool and rec area aren't scheduled to be done until september so it kind of stinks to pay hoa for an unfinished product. Appreciate any other tips too...

[quote author="graphrix" date=1254799223][quote author="USCTrojanCPA" date=1254795663]Hey Looking, thanks for posting up. There are two issues that I have about this development. The first is that it is located in a sort of "iffy" area and I'm certain that the schools are sub-par. The second issue is about buying from a small private builder like Etco homes. What happens if they go under? What happens to your warranty? Do not settle just because this is a new development. Have you taken a drive around the neighborhood? Irvine and Yorba Linda are 10x better than this area, in my opinion. DONT SETTLE!!!</blockquote>

Have you been to this area of Placentia? Because either your opinion of "iffy" is totally different than mine, or you have never been there. This is a pretty nice neighborhood, much like the rest of the Placentia area around Rose. I definitely wouldn't say that Yorba Linda is 10X better when it is only a couple of blocks away. You would have to confirm what high school they will be in, but Esperanza isn't that far away and it is a pretty good school.</blockquote>
I'm familiar with the area as I had friends who lived in Yorba Linda and Anaheim Hills plus I used to go to the Polish Church off Rose and Imperial almost every Sunday. It's not a bad area and it's not a great area from what I remember and from what my friends used to tell me. I would say that the best parts of Yorba Linda are those North of Yorba Linda Blvd. and East of Imperial Hwy. The other parts of Yorba Linda are marginally better than the area where this development is located.

Thanks Trojan, thats good info. Personally i want to live in the best area possible but since I work in LA I have to consider the drive too. I think overall my favorite area is around east lake village in Yorba Linda. Not so much right on the water but houses in the area that have a yard. I just haven't seen a lot of inventory lately so that's been a little disappointing and one of the main reasons I've had to expand my search.

[quote author="looking to buy" date=1254814456]Thanks Trojan, thats good info. Personally i want to live in the best area possible but since I work in LA I have to consider the drive too. I think overall my favorite area is around east lake village in Yorba Linda. Not so much right on the water but houses in the area that have a yard. I just haven't seen a lot of inventory lately so that's been a little disappointing and one of the main reasons I've had to expand my search.</blockquote>
Have you considered looking around in Fullerton (you want to stay north of Chapman)? There are some really nice communities over there, including Sunny Hills which has some very good schools. That might help to cut the drive to work down a bit.

[quote author="looking to buy" date=1254801587][quote author="graphrix" date=1254799223][quote author="USCTrojanCPA" date=1254795663]Hey Looking, thanks for posting up. There are two issues that I have about this development. The first is that it is located in a sort of "iffy" area and I'm certain that the schools are sub-par. The second issue is about buying from a small private builder like Etco homes. What happens if they go under? What happens to your warranty? Do not settle just because this is a new development. Have you taken a drive around the neighborhood? Irvine and Yorba Linda are 10x better than this area, in my opinion. DONT SETTLE!!!</blockquote>

Yea, from the info that the sales rep gave me the schools are glenview elementary, bernardo yorba middle school and Esperanza high, which i think are all pretty decent schools. I'm not sure what is meant by "iffy" either (crime, gangs etc???) but I would like to know thx. Granted I haven't been through the area at night or anything but I pretty much felt like I was in Yorba Linda.

I never thought about the issue of buying from a small builder. Thanks for the input! I think they are only in phase 2 or 3 right now (out of 9 i think). The sales rep also said that the pool and rec area aren't scheduled to be done until september so it kind of stinks to pay hoa for an unfinished product. Appreciate any other tips too...</blockquote>
When I said "sort of iffy" I didn't mean that it is a dangerous or scary area by any means. As was mentioned in the other thread linked by SoCal, there are some very low level type of crime in that area like tagging, vandelism, street racing, etc. It is an OK area to live but does not compare to Irvine or the nicer parts of Yorba Linda. The bigger issue is the small builder than it is the location.

I have not seen these homes, but I did look over the website. Maybe someone with a better understanding of production housing can explain, but I am curious as to why Plans 2 and 3 both have a <em>full</em> bathroom on the first floor when there is no bedroom (and apparently no optional bedroom) on the first floor.

I live in yorba linda about 2 miles away from these. I have been driving by this project everyday since they broke ground in 2006 (taking forever). The schools will be either above average or good. I would worry about how close these homes are to the railroad tracks. They are very active - once every 10-15 mins. If it were me I would rather buy an existing home on a nice lot on a quiet street in old Yorba Linda. Runs around the same price although the house will be smaller with a much larger lot.

[quote author="EvaLSeraphim" date=1254823920]I have not seen these homes, but I did look over the website. Maybe someone with a better understanding of production housing can explain, but I am curious as to why Plans 2 and 3 both have a <em>full</em> bathroom on the first floor when there is no bedroom (and apparently no optional bedroom) on the first floor.</blockquote>

Both plans have an option for a bedroom on the first floor. I think in plan 2 it takes the place of the dining room right when you enter the house. It is strange that they don't have a different bathroom option. I would be forced to purchase that bedroom just because a full bath would be useless without it. Kind of weird

We put a reservation deposit on one of these homes the weekend the development had their grand opening. My DH and I liked the floor plans and the builder was willing to work with us on some custom options we wanted. Ultimately after driving the surrounding area, looking at nearby home values and looking at the school locations and API scores for the area we canceled our reservation two days later and got our deposit back. I have lived in Yorba Linda for almost 9 years and Placentia just isn't as nice an area and the home values are always lower. Is it a bad area? No, but ultimately with three kids the Yorba Linda are appeals to us much more (we are renting now and the school API scores are better and we are close to the community center and library-both are really nice) The previous poster was pretty spot on in his suggestion to stay North of Yorba Lind Blvd. and east of Imperial. Another factor for me is the fact that I like the asthetic of underground power lines and they surround the area the development is in (petty, but important to me)

Back