Anniversary Party Dinner

k.o._IHB

It was my parent's 30th anniversary this year. To celebrate, they are taking an Alaskan cruise this summer. So I wanted to have a joint anniversary/bon voyage party for them with friends and family.

I'm trying to come up with a list of restaurants I could do this at, that would be able to accommodate a group of 20-30 and not break the bank. Because I'm pretty sure I'll be paying for this myself (maybe with a couple of bucks from my brother). Not looking for anything too fancy, but something nice where we could eat and hang out for a couple of hours. It'd be in July or August, so still far away, but want to make sure I have all my ducks in a row.

Does anyone have any suggestions for restaurants/venues in the OC area? Any information would be appreciated!

I'm open to all types of food, actually. My parents love all kinds and so does the family. Although it'd be a little odd sending them off to Alaska at a Mexican restaurant (for example), that'd be something quirky they'd probably enjoy, too.

island hotel has very reasonably priced banquet and private party menus. they would accomodate a group of that size without any ridiculous minimums.

You might try the <a href="http://www.anaheimwhitehouse.com/">Anaheim White House</a>. It's a nice setting and my parents have always enjoyed the food and the atmosphere. It's not cheap, but it's not $$$$ either. Their dessert sampler is also very impressive looking.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I will be checking our your recs, hopefully I can get the ball rolling...

k.o., hope I'm not too late to pitch in my two cents. I was reading the Register yesterday and a review on this new bistro at HB caught my eye. It's got a lounge feel to it, so I think it'll give you and your guests a good vibe. Users rave about the appetizers, so I dunno, maybe you could just order a bunch and go quasi tapas style? They also have a dinner menu anyway if you don't want to take that route.

Their website is www.flightoc.com. It's on Adams Street, pretty close to the corner of Adams and Beach.

The issue is that he/she needs to accommodate 20-30 people, and very possibly pay for the whole thing out of pocket.

Most restaurants that you go to will cost you at least $20/head plus 18%-20% in "mandatory" tips.

I'd suggest asking around to see who lives in a HOA with a decent sized club house. Since the timing is summer, you can send the guests to the pool too. Most HOA's will allow party rentals and usage of facilities for a fee. You just need to know someone who lives there to book it for you.

For food, the cheapest and most fun is pot luck. Or, you can get catering, haul a BBQ/Grill over and cook burgers, hotdogs, kalbi/short ribs, etc. Since this is friends and family, it doesn't need to be overly formal. You can get inexpensive meats at Costco, or Zion market in Hawaiian Gardens (there's one in Irvine, but less stuff at higher prices). Food is better when freshly cooked and not cold/catered.

There are also many nice parks around OC that you could reserve picnic areas. However you'd be taking a risk with weather conditions.

If you're willing to do this in north OC or LA, there are many buffet-style Chinese restaurants where you can get a room on the side and pay by the head in a package deal, sometimes as low as $10/head for all you can eat, drinks included.

[quote author="punchenpie" date=1208477121]k.o., hope I'm not too late to pitch in my two cents. I was reading the Register yesterday and a review on this new bistro at HB caught my eye. It's got a lounge feel to it, so I think it'll give you and your guests a good vibe. Users rave about the appetizers, so I dunno, maybe you could just order a bunch and go quasi tapas style? They also have a dinner menu anyway if you don't want to take that route.

Their website is www.flightoc.com. It's on Adams Street, pretty close to the corner of Adams and Beach.</blockquote>
That's funny... that's the same property from

<a href="http://www.irvinehousingblog.com/forums/viewthread/1025/">this thread</a>. I wonder if <a href="http://www.irvinehousingblog.com/forums/member/569/">capocorso</a> pulled the trigger on that deal.

[quote author="punchenpie" date=1208477121]k.o., hope I'm not too late to pitch in my two cents. I was reading the Register yesterday and a review on this new bistro at HB caught my eye. It's got a lounge feel to it, so I think it'll give you and your guests a good vibe. Users rave about the appetizers, so I dunno, maybe you could just order a bunch and go quasi tapas style? They also have a dinner menu anyway if you don't want to take that route.

Their website is www.flightoc.com. It's on Adams Street, pretty close to the corner of Adams and Beach.</blockquote>

Thanks for the rec, punch, but I think this might be out of my price range. If I had a smaller group to accommodate, then it'd be great, but methinks I'd need to take out a loan to fund that endeavor. ;-)

Point well taken :) Least you've got something lined up for the next quiet happy-hour-with-close-friends trip. Hey, how about order the party packages at like Lucille's or something? They have huge servings (we've already ordered from them this way and there were a ton of leftovers).

[quote author="momopi" date=1208478616]The issue is that he/she needs to accommodate 20-30 people, and very possibly pay for the whole thing out of pocket.

Most restaurants that you go to will cost you at least $20/head plus 18%-20% in "mandatory" tips.

I'd suggest asking around to see who lives in a HOA with a decent sized club house. Since the timing is summer, you can send the guests to the pool too. Most HOA's will allow party rentals and usage of facilities for a fee. You just need to know someone who lives there to book it for you.

For food, the cheapest and most fun is pot luck. Or, you can get catering, haul a BBQ/Grill over and cook burgers, hotdogs, kalbi/short ribs, etc. Since this is friends and family, it doesn't need to be overly formal. You can get inexpensive meats at Costco, or Zion market in Hawaiian Gardens (there's one in Irvine, but less stuff at higher prices). Food is better when freshly cooked and not cold/catered.

There are also many nice parks around OC that you could reserve picnic areas. However you'd be taking a risk with weather conditions.

If you're willing to do this in north OC or LA, there are many buffet-style Chinese restaurants where you can get a room on the side and pay by the head in a package deal, sometimes as low as $10/head for all you can eat, drinks included.</blockquote>

Thanks for the idea, momopi, that actually is something I didn't really consider. My brother lives in an IAC that has a decent clubhouse, so I can see about possibly renting it out and having catering there. People could use the pool, we'd have a set area for a certain amount of hours, and it'd probably be less expensive than going out to a decent restaurant. Something I will definitely look into, thanks!

[quote author="punchenpie" date=1208567192]Point well taken :) Least you've got something lined up for the next quiet happy-hour-with-close-friends trip. Hey, how about order the party packages at like Lucille's or something? They have huge servings (we've already ordered from them this way and there were a ton of leftovers).</blockquote>

Lucille's could be a pretty good option... I'll check into see what their prices/offerings are

newport rib company and burrell's bbq in santa ana will come to your location and grill for you. if you're using a community clubhouse oftentimes there are grills and even kitchens on site.

[quote author="acpme" date=1208819614]newport rib company and burrell's bbq in santa ana will come to your location and grill for you. if you're using a community clubhouse oftentimes there are grills and even kitchens on site.</blockquote>

I was really thinking that using a community clubhouse would be great, but the one I was thinking about is $300 (Woodbury Court). I mean, $300 for using a room with a TV, a few couches and tables, and a sink?

Am I just out of touch? Is this something that's an avg price?

what about the clubhouse in the woodbury town ctr? i think its about 500 but significantly larger. also there's a large enclosed bbq area between the lagoon pool and clubhouse. theres 2 gas grills there as well as 6-8 tables, couches, and fireplace. i've had a few bbq and potluck parties there with friends without booking the area. its also walled off so keeps your party private. most ppl wander in there and see a large group of ppl and assume theres a private party going on and leave. technically each resident is only allowed about 6 or so guests according to the hoa but we've never been asked, and we were within the rules anyway. maybe just head out there early in the day and stake a claim.

edit: heres the facilities rental agreement -- http://www.woodburyhoa.org/show_file.php?id=11664

Back