An alternative to Irvine?

California_Room

A friend came into town and fell in love with Irvine, but his family just can not afford the living standards here, mostly the housing. 

Can you guys suggest an alternative to Irvine? Brea? Yorba Linda?  and what makes it similar to Irvine, thanks.

images

There is no substitute.  8)

California_Room said:
A friend came into town and fell in love with Irvine, but his family just can not afford the living standards here, mostly the housing. 

Can you guys suggest an alternative to Irvine? Brea? Yorba Linda?  and what makes it similar to Irvine, thanks.

It all depends on what they love about Irvine. 

Its clean, the restaurants, he is not thinking about school yet, and the overall feel, I personally cant think of any other cities, but looking at the top locations in ca to live list, yorba linda always seems to be up there..  Never personally spent much time there, expect the visit to nixon library..

Depends where in OC they want to live.

South County is great... Aliso Viejo, Mission Viejo, Las Flores and Laguna Niguel all have elevated ares (ie view lots) that are priced lower than their Irvine counterparts.

irvinehomeowner said:
Depends where in OC they want to live.

South County is great... Aliso Viejo, Mission Viejo, Las Flores and Laguna Niguel all have elevated ares (ie view lots) that are priced lower than their Irvine counterparts.

I think South County has much easier access to Irvine than Yorba Linda.  We looked at homes in Yorba Linda but it feels like a long way south through residential streets to the 91, then a long way through the 55 down to either the 5 south to Irvine or the 405 south to Irvine.  Plus it didn't seem like there was much to do in Yorba Linda, it was mostly a bedroom community.  Also Yorba Linda seems much hotter than South County.

California_Room said:
Its clean, the restaurants, he is not thinking about school yet, and the overall feel, I personally cant think of any other cities, but looking at the top locations in ca to live list, yorba linda always seems to be up there..  Never personally spent much time there, expect the visit to nixon library..

I used to have a home in Irvine (10 years) and moved to Laguna Niguel in 2009.  Personally I liked how Irvine was about 6 or more years ago and the population was around 150,000.  Now it feels congested and is becoming urbanized (tighter living quarters).  Moving down to LN gave me the bedroom community feel again and I still have access to all the things I liked about Irvine (restaurants, outdoors, good schools) locally.  The big plus is I am very close to the beach now and enjoy the coastal micro climate at my house.

There are a lot of very wonderful communities that offer a lot depending on what you are looking for.  I was looking for a coastal bedroom community with a lot of outdoor greenery so I can feel like I am escaping the hustle and bustle work day and I got that in South Laguna Niguel.

Tustin Ranch (ofcourse!) and Aliso Viejo comes to my mind...Not far from freeways and with similar amenities as Irvine.

If you take the X you were going to pay for an Irvine zip code, no driveway, -0- lot line detached condo, compare it to a vintage Tustin home, 70's era Laguna Niguel property, or recently built Coto De Caza abode, you'll be shocked at what you can buy. Don't forget to add back the gas you'll spend if you purchase in South County plus the electrical expense for air conditioning.  Most schools are comparable to IUSD. If not, you've also got pretty solid private school choices.

My .02c

Soylent Green Is People

I was shocked how much more you can get for your money in RSM, Dove Canyon, and Coto when I ventured out there for a few buyers out there over the past few years.

homer_simpson said:
Looked at Dove Canyon, RSM, and Coto.  Really great value for the homes but it's really really out there. 
Yeah it is, but they are about 30-40% less than comparable homes in Irvine.  That's where it's up to the buyer to decide.

Ladera Ranch, but the prop tax rate is around 2%.  Is Ladera Ranch their own official city now or still part of MV?

RSM is pretty far out there, but on some days I can get to downtown Laguna Beach faster using the 241 than someone at Culver and Irvine Center can what with all of the traffic lights. At $4.20 a gallon though the distance does add up in $$$ instead of time loss.

My .02c 

I think Ladera is still unincorporated... and bowlish (in my opinion).

RSM is boondoculous... esp from the 5... you need to be transponderized to get anywhere quickly.

Yorba Linda is way too far. Why does no one mention North Tustin, its about a ten minute drive on city streets from Northwood High School. The homes there generally have three car garages, and volume ceilings with lots that average 10,000sf. Why haven't FCBs in general looked at getting a piece of this bad boy? Census shows its still over 90% Caucasian.

Back