A teaser on a foreclosure post I am thinking about for the blog

graphrix_IHB

<p>I did a post on my old blog <a href="http://ocecon101.blogspot.com/2007/01/foreclosure-comparison.html">ocecon101</a> about how we need to be worried if we were anywhere near the total 2006 forclosure numbers by this time this year. Well we are not only there but more than double. Below is a comment I made on Padilla's blog and the premise of my blog topic. I am interested to hear your thoughts, ideas and opinions that I would consider including in the post. *Enjoy!!!!*</p>

<p>Wow that is the largest discrepancy I have had with my June guestimate of 1055 as usually I am off plus or minus 25. Oh well it is better to undersell and over deliver.</p>

<p>So by my math if I take the previous six months July 2006 through December 2006 NODs of 3478 and the last six months of foreclosures of 1339 that is a coversion ratio of 38.5%. I take that conversion ratio to the last six months of NODs of 5628 (by the way this is 237 of all of 2006) this would add another 2167 foreclosures by year end for a grand total of 3506. I wonder if Gary Watts still stands behind his statement of not seeing an uptick in foreclosures that it simply won’t happen? <a rel="nofollow" href="http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister/money/abox/article_891975.php">http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister/money/abox/article_891975.php</a></p>

<p>In 1991 there were 1396 foreclosures and in the first six months of 1992 there were 1264. In 2006 there were 647 foreclosures and in the first six months of 2007 there were 1339. So far thare have been almost as many foreclosures as 1991 and more than the first six months of 1992. Nope nothing to worry about here because it is “contained”.</p>

<p>Ugly rate of increase which slaughters 92's rate.</p>

<p>Of course you ask that. I know why because you know I'm an ubernerd and I will somehow dig it up. Even though that data is buried somewhere where they don't want us to find it. Peak was 96 for foreclosures but I will see what I can do about finding it for all years. It is a great question. We have gone up from a 20%, 30% to almost 40% conversion ratio within the last two years.</p>

heh... Just gotta have the numbers. As best I can tell, nobody ever did come up with an answer to Auction Heaven's question of "what is the highest number of homes ever for sale at one time in the OC" or something thereabouts. Neither Lansner nor his lackey have ever offered-up a peak inventory number for the last cycle, though they did post a date once (and I forgot it -- think it was in 95).

<p>I have an idea. If we do a week where the tip jar goes directly to the cost of getting a custom report from DataQuick on NODs and foreclosures would we get enough? Also we could get sales data too. It's just an idea and I hate to ask for money for a blog that I agree should be free but is it worth a try?</p>

<p>I'm on the inventory story. Here is one I found that is entertaining to tide you over for the mean time:</p>

<p>State to close real estate office in O.C.

October 6, 1995 </p>

<p><strong>Byline:</strong> EDMUND SANDERS: The Orange County Register

The Orange County Register

</p>

<p>The California Department of Real Estate said Thursday that it would close its 11-person Santa Ana office, which fell victim to falling revenue and cost cuts by Commissioner Jim Antt Jr. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>Employees in Santa Ana will be transferred to the department's Los Angeles regional office. "We're tightening our belt," said Dan Garrett, assistant commissioner. He said the department would save about $200,000 a year by shutting the Santa Ana office.</p>

Rain, bankruptcy chill home sales

REAL ESTATE: The county bond debt is partially to blame for a decline, experts say. Higher mortgage rates and rainy weather are also cited.

May 3, 1995

<p>Byline: JONATHAN LANSNER

<p>After a buying spurt in early 1994, higher mortgage rates, rainy weather and Orange County's bankruptcy are being blamed for a 40 percent drop in home sales compared to a year ago. </p>

<p> </p>

As a result, prices are falling and selling strategies are being retooled by both the real estate industry and individuals.

"Anyone who says the bankruptcy isn't a problem is lying," said Jason Hartman, a real estate broker with ReMax of Irvine. "It was certainly one more thing we didn't need in 1995."

<p> </p>

The bottom line, experts say, is that the consumer confidence that promptshomebuying is sorely lacking. And a quick resolution to the government's financial woes _ no matter how pricey or unpopular the method _ is key to restarting the <strong>housing</strong> market, real estate executives contend.

<p> </p>

As a result, the local <strong>housing</strong> industry is throwing its political muscle _ and its hopes for its financial future _ behind passage of the June 27 vote on a half-cent sales-tax-hike, what many call the linchpin to the county's financial recovery from the $1.7 billion financial debacle.

<p> </p>

"We need to take massive amounts of vitamins, six weeks of therapy _ you won't like it but you need it," said Morgan Harris, a franchise consultant with Irvine-based Century 21, of the tax hike. "The consumer needs a solution to this bankruptcy."

<p> </p>

Opponents of the ballot issue disagree, however. "In a word, that's balderdash," said Bill Ward, a member of the anti-tax Committees of Correspondence, which is opposing Measure R. "It's typical of the rhetoric we get _ there's no logic to it.

<p> </p>

"The thing that's most important to understand here is that the effect of taxes on the economy is well-documented. When you increase taxes _ any taxes _ you're pulling money out of the economy, and that money isn't going to go toward buying houses."

<p> </p>

Regardless of the merits of the sales tax, Larry Webb, president of Greystone Homes, said he is nervous that the uncertainty created by the county's bankruptcy could be a long-term drain on the local economy. He fears that, in the end, his homebuilding business will be hurt.

<p> </p>

Orange County is a great place to live, Webb says, but without a concrete plan to fix its financial woes the county may be a problematic place to do business. Webb says he's betting _ business-wise, at least _ that the sales-tax increase will be defeated by voters and that the county's financial restructuring will remain in turmoil.

<p> </p>

Webb is rethinking his Orange County strategy and spending less on undeveloped land during the rest of this year. He's also toying with selling 63 ready-to-build lots his company is developing in Placentia.

<p> </p>

"For a Midwest manufacturer looking to relocate to someplace warm, we're off the list right now," Webb said. "If we don't see some closure to this mess, we are going to see some real problems here soon."

<p> </p>

Roland Osgood, president of Kaufman & Broad's local home-selling operations, is using aggressive marketing to revive his business.

<p> </p>

First, K&B offered to pay the first six months of mortgage payments for buyers of new homes. Now it's offering no-money-down deals. Those incentives are on top of pared-back prices.

<p> </p>

And while the sales sizzle brought buyers back to Osgood's <strong>housing</strong> projects in recent weeks, profits have remained elusive, Osgood admitted.

<p> </p>

"Interest rates. The weather. The bankruptcy. It's added up to a deadly combination," Osgood said.

<p> </p>

Consider:

<p> </p>

Sales activity countywide in the first three months was off 23 percent from a year ago, according to Dataquick Information Services of La Jolla.

<p> </p>

In the first three weeks of April, the latest for which figures are available, closings were off 40 percent from the same period one year ago.

<p> </p>

Prices are down, too, as the monthly median price of a home sold in the county fell to $197,000 in February, the lowest since August 1988.

<p> </p>

Manuchehr Yazdi understands those figure all too well. For two months his Irvine home has sat on the market. No offers.

<p> </p>

Yazdi needs to sell the house to pay his bills. He's out of work, a victim of government staffing cuts following the county's bankruptcy filing. But finding a new job at age 62 is tough, he admits. So he's cut the asking price by $10,000 to $255,000 _ and he's thinking about taking out a third mortgage to stay afloat financially.

<p> </p>

"It does not look good," the former county research analyst said. "Maybe I'll get the third and wait for a better future. But some people say the future could be worse."

<p> </p>

The poor 1995 start for home sales is in stark contrast to last year. After four depressing years of sagging sales, 1994 appeared to be a turning point for the <strong>housing</strong> market.

<p> </p>

The same interest-rate rise that eventually sank the county's doomed investment pool spurred buyers into action. The move to catch elusive cheap financing motivated first-time buyers, who were 56 percent of last year's market, estimated Dynamic Marketing Resources' Pat Veling, a <strong>housing</strong> analyst.

<p> </p>

The economy was also a plus in 1994. For the first time this decade, the local economy overall added 11,200 new jobs _ another key engine for home sales.

<p> </p>

With those factors as a backdrop, selling fever caught on throughout the county for the first time since 1989. Activity was brisk from new tracts in south county to older communities to the north. In 1994's first nine months, 1,000 more homes were sold countywide than in all of 1992, the <strong>housing</strong> recession's nadir.

<p> </p>

But by late last fall, there were signs that the local real-estate market was peaking.

<p> </p>

The Federal Reserve had raised interest rates six times _ and as a result mortgage rates had spiked. According to an affordability index by Dataquick that mixes mortgage rates and home prices, the cost of buying a typical Orange County single-family home jumped 20 percent in a year.

<p> </p>

A lower number of qualified buyers was not the only problem. Home prices did not rise with the increased sales activity; rather, the price of a typical Orange County home fell 3.4 percent in 1994. So homeowners who paid top dollar during the <strong>housing</strong> mania of the late 1980s were still stuck with homes they couldn't afford to unload.

<p> </p>

"Frankly, there's not enough <strong>inventory</strong>," Veling said. "And buyers are being very picky."

<p> </p>

So when the county revealed its deep investment loss and then filed for bankruptcy protection in December, the market was already in trouble, local experts said. Fourth-quarter countywide home sales were off 1 percent from 1993's last three months, the first year-to-year drop in two years.

<p> </p>

The problem expanded this year.

<p> </p>

Expensive mortgages cut out some buyers. Retired contractor Gary White of Garden Grove says that in the past six months he lost two deals to sell his Anaheim investment property because buyers couldn't afford the higher rates.

<p> </p>

"It's the worst I've ever seen things," said White, who as an investor has been buying a selling homes locally for 25 years. "And the bankruptcy, it's certainly on everybody's mind."

<p> </p>

Then there was the IRS crackdown on tax-filing fraud. It slowed refund checks this spring, hurting low-income buyers' ability to gather a down payment, said Jerry Varner, owners of Century 21/Chuck Stevens in La Habra.

<p> </p>

Orange County, however, is not alone when it comes to the <strong>housing</strong> slump. San Diego sales are off even more than in Orange County. Los Angeles, San Bernardino, Riverside and Ventura counties are also sluggish, but their sales drops are much smaller than in Orange County.

<p> </p>

"To say that the bankruptcy does not hurt areas outside Orange County is wrong," said Keith Johnson, president of San Diego-based Fieldstone Homes. "San Diego (County) had (investment) losses, too. It's just another reason to be cautious. People are just tentative right now."</p>

<p> </p>

Home sales take it on the chin

REAL ESTATE: The 24% drop in March is blamed on rain, Orange County's bankruptcy and interest rates.

April 7, 1995

<p>Byline: KELLY BARRON

<p>Orange County home sales slumped 24 percent in March and 23 percent in the first quarter under the weight of the county's bankruptcy, wet weather and higher interest rates. </p>

<p> </p>

Prices also slipped, by 2.5 percent from a year ago, to a median of $196,000, according to the Dataquick Information Systems Inc.'s <strong>housing</strong> report released Thursday.

Opinions are divided over whether the steep early downturn spells disaster for the county's <strong>housing</strong> market, which is entering its busiest selling season.

<p> </p>

"The market is in a more tenuous position today than it has been in four years," said Pat Veling of Dynamic Marketing Resources in Fullerton.

<p> </p>

Veling believes that the threat of higher interest rates will force first-time buyers, who made up 57 percent of buyers last year, out of the market.

<p> </p>

Rates for a 30-year fixed home loan in the county were 8.30 percent Thursday. While that's down from a high of 9.1 percent last November, it is up sharply from a historical low of 6.6 percent in October 1993.

<p> </p>

Many rate watchers believe that the Federal Reserve will raise rates in the coming weeks to prop up the weak dollar. That would further undermine buyers' confidence.

<p> </p>

Others attribute the market's malaise simply to bad weather. Because it takes 45 to 60 days to close escrow on a home sale, the March figures reflect purchase decisions made in January.

<p> </p>

Real estate agents said few people shopped the <strong>housing</strong> market that month because it rained 16 days out of 31 days.

<p> </p>

"Mark my words, there will be an increase in sales in April and May," said John Karevoll, Dataquick's <strong>housing</strong> analyst.

<p> </p>

Few dispute that the county's bankruptcy is hindering home sales.

<p> </p>

"The bankruptcy is such a giant question," said Jason Hartman, an agent with ReMax Realtors in Irvine. "It's just one more thing Orange County doesn't need."

<p> </p>

Hartman, who had his best year ever in 1994, selling 74 homes worth a total of $14 million, isn't expecting to meet that pace this year. He's telling his clients to lower prices 2 percent to 5 percent.

<p> </p>

Homeowners, too, seem to be lowering their expectations.

<p> </p>

Ron Raridon put his two-bedroom, 1 1/2-bath Mission Viejo home on the market two months ago. He said he has received two offers, neither serious.

<p> </p>

"I'm not desperate to sell so I can wait awhile," he said.

<p> </p>

Despite the weak first quarter, sales are still ahead of previous years. A total of 6,038 homes was sold during the first quarter of 1995 _ up 14 percent from 1992, the worst year of the recession, according to Dataquick.

<p> </p>

Real estate agents and homebuilders say they are cautiously optimistic that the market will improve in April.

<p> </p>

Hovnanian Enterprises Inc. in Newport Beach plans to open three new <strong>housing</strong> projects in Orange County by September. Mike Hampton, with First Team Real Estate in Tustin, said he has sold 24 homes in the first week in April, putting him on pace for one of his best months.

<p> </p>

Veling said the county has a seven-month supply of resale homes on the market.

<p> </p>

Analysts say a 10- to 12-month supply reflects a healthy market and that the county's low <strong>inventory</strong> is indicative of sluggish demand and sellers who can't afford to sell at today's lower prices.</p>

<p> </p>

O.C. home sales drop, but upside surfaces

REAL ESTATE: The 14.6 percent decline, compared with June 1994, is the smallest since December.

July 8, 1995

<p>Byline: EDMUND SANDERS

<p>Buoyed by a surge in last-minute sales, the decline of Orange County's residential real estate market eased a bit in June, with total sales dropping 14.6 percent compared with a year earlier. </p>

<p> </p>

While a decrease hardly seems like a reason to celebrate, it marks the smallest drop in Orange County home sales since December, when the market began to experience year-to-year declines ranging from 20 percent to 35 percent, according to Dataquick Information Systems in La Jolla.

The median home price in the county was $199,000 last month, down 3.4 percent compared with last June, according to Dataquick.

<p> </p>

The home-sales drop was the eighth consecutive monthly decline for the Orange County residential real estate market.

<p> </p>

"We're still behind where we want to be, but the declines are becoming less and less," said Bob Arrigoni, president of Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage in Mission Viejo.

<p> </p>

Sales of newly built homes emerged as the bright spot of the market.

<p> </p>

New-home sales were 6 percent higher than last June, compared with sales of existing single-family homes and condominiums, which fell 20 percent and 13 percent, respectively.

<p> </p>

"We've definitely noticed an increase," said Ellen Lehman, director of sales at Kaufman and Broad Corp., the state's largest homebuilder.

<p> </p>

At the Irvine Ranch, sales of new homes rose about 34 percent in June, even though there were fewer active <strong>housing</strong> projects offered to buyers, according to David Kovach, director of market planning for Irvine Co.

<p> </p>

Kovach attributed the rise to improved interest rates, which began to dip in March.

<p> </p>

In addition, Kovach said publicly traded homebuilders were likely more eager to close sales by the end of June in order to move <strong>inventory</strong> off their books by the end of the fiscal quarter.

<p> </p>

While the recent rate cut by the Federal Reserve Board is expected to fuel further sales, some builders cautioned against raising hopes too high based on one month's figures.

<p> </p>

"Even another interest-rate cut may not be enough to help Orange County with the bankruptcy," said John Terando, vice president at Griffin Industries, a Calabasas-based homebuilder. "I don't think it will bounce back until people know what's going to happen with services."

<p> </p>

It remains to be seen how the recent rejection by Orange County voters of the half-cent sales tax will affect county services, such as schools and police. Real estate professionals have predicted that home sales in the county will suffer as long as the bankruptcy remains unresolved.

<p> </p>

However, the county won a yearlong extension Thursday to pay $800 million of its debts, giving leaders more time to work out a solution.

<p> </p>

Overall, for the first six months of 1995, home sales were off 24 percent compared with the first half of 1994.

<p> </p>

The median home price for the first six months is about $195,000, down about 2.5 percent compared with last year.</p>

<p> </p>

It's killing me I need to find the numbers. The three articles above are searches for "housing inventory" in 1995. I will go to the library at IVC and see if what they offer for data is free and if I can get the info. The three articles above cost $6 and if I can get the info for free I will.

<p><em>"After a buying spurt in early 1994, higher mortgage rates, rainy weather and Orange County's bankruptcy are being blamed for a 40 percent drop in home sales compared to a year ago". </em></p>

<p>Ummmmm, I thought that could never happen..... ! Excellent find ! </p>

<p>Rich has an interesting way to present the data (in S.D.)-</p>

<p><a href="http://piggington.com/sales_and_foreclosures#comment">http://piggington.com/sales_and_foreclosures#comment</a></p>

<p>Sales ratios to NOT & NOD</p>

<p>SCHB</p>

<p>EvaL,</p>

<p>I have a rough idea of homes built since 1990 to 2005 is 158K but this is the number of units. Units can be apartments too. I have property tax bill numbers from the Register article on deliquent taxes. So my number may not be 100% accurate but I roughly estimate that since 1990 OC has built 130k condos and SFRs maybe a little more since 2006 saw a lot of units i.e. towers. I was definitely use this data because really we haven't seen that much growth here which can make the numbers look just as bad when comparing apples to apples.</p>

<p>SCHB,</p>

<p>Thanks for the link. I haven't been checking pigginton lately so I appreciate it.</p>

You can get information on the number of Notice of Defaults through the OC clerk recorders website. Go tohttp://cr.ocgov.com/grantorgrantee/index.aspclick on "Document category name" then select "Notice Default" for search criteria, then enter a particular day.

Example on 7/12/2007 220 Notice of Defaults were filed.

7/12/2006 had 52 filed

7/12/2006 had 68 filed

I'm not exactly sure how to interpret these numbers. It looks like it counts 2 for each property, one for grantee and one for grantor. Also, if the property is held jointly (by husband and wife) it may double count that also,

<p>joeyp1,</p>

<p>I use that site all the time. If you take the total number of NODs for the day and divide by three then you have a good guess at the real number. I do a guestimate for the end of every month once the data is complete and for June my guestimate was 1055 and the real number is 1108. Not too bad if you ask me. Also be careful on the most recent date the data may not be complete. For example today it says 7/13/2007 is the most recent and if you pull the numbers today then tomorrow they may be higher.</p>

<p>Ok here is what I dug up on housing units in OC and how to get a more accurate percentages and ratios. The article in the OCR on late property taxes had a chart of the number of bills for each year back to 2002. For each year it was approximately 80% of the total units found at <a href="http://www.dof.ca.gov">http://www.dof.ca.gov</a> . In 2006 there were about 825k property tax bills and 1.02 million units in OC for 81.5% and in 2002 it was 79.4%. I attribute the uptick due to condo conversions and if I could find the number of residential property tax bills going back to 1988 I'd be estatic. In 92 there were about 895k units in OC and at 80% it would be 716k. So that would be 1 foreclosure for every 616 homes in 2007 and in 1992 1 for every 566 homes for the first six months of the year.</p>

<p>I posted a comment about this on Padilla's mortgage blog on the Cali data because of the more homes argument found there. "The record high in 96 would mean 1 foreclosure for every 614 homes where as in 2007 it is 1 foreclosure for every 603 homes." At least OC is below the current level of the state.</p>

Back