20 Tideline Bluff in Newport Coast

traceimage_IHB

Just wanted to share my experience going to this open house last weekend. Here's the Redfin listing:

<a href="http://www.redfin.com/CA/Newport-Beach/20-Tideline-Blf-92657/home/5930594">20 Tideline Bluff</a>

It's priced at $4.375 million. You'd think such a $$$ house would be amazing, but I honestly didn't even like it that much. The floor plan was odd; it was one story and the master was basically right off the kitchen. I understand why they did it that way - so both the kitchen/dining area and master could have ocean views - but it looks weird. The master bath has basically NO privacy. There's a big soaking tub in the middle of the bathroom, but because the lot is so narrow, the next-door neighbor would be able to see right into the bathroom if you forgot to close the blinds. And the rest of the rooms were confusing. Maybe because the house was unfurnished, but I could barely tell which was a bedroom, and which was the bonus room...they just kind of flowed awkwardly into each other. The ocean view was really nice, though. I guess that would be the main selling point of this house.

The listing agent told us this was a second home for the owners and they only spent a dozen or so nights in the house. When I got home, and checked Redfin, and I was amazed to see that (assuming Redfin is right) they bought it for $4.575 million in 06. But the real winner here is the previous owner before that. They bought it for $2.325 million in 05! That means they made over $2 million in a year! I don't think I'll ever get tired of these crazy real estate stories...such big winners and such big losers.

There were lots of other houses for sale in the neighborhood, too. In fact, there was another open house either right next door or 2 houses away, but we didn't see that one because it was one of those bootie houses where they make you take off your shoes or wear booties, and I don't like to do that.

So overall: if anyone here is looking to spend over $4 million on a house, my advice would be to pass on this one and find a house that feels less like a tract house, with a bigger lot, and more privacy. :)

The house next door is for sale, in fact. I've been in both. The house next door is bigger and about a MILLION dollars cheaper, as I recall. The owner of 20 Tideline is living in some kind of a delusion thinking that his smaller house is worth a million dollars more than the neighbor's house. But yet, there was a real estate agent in 20 Tideline trying desperately to tell all comers that was indeed the case. What bull!!! These agents and the things they say in order to try to get their commissions. Pathetic. Buyers out there watch out - they care not for you, only the dirty pursuit of the 3% commission dollars.

Lots of photoshopping in the listing pictures-so fake.

As for having the master off the kitchen, what is everybody's opinion on that genericly (in a single story)? If done right, I think it isn't a problem, and can actually be a good thing (seperates the master from the other bedrooms and reduces the amount of wasted space in hallways).

In a former home, I had the master off the kitchen setup, and I liked it fine. It was a 1950s ranch with two master bedrooms. The one off the kitchen was probably intended originally for a maid or inlaw. The owners before me made it a den. It had a little anteroom as well with an extra closet.

Back