1st floor is cool, 2nd floor is too hot

almon_IHB

i live in a California Pacific detached condo, and the second floor has trouble cooling down during the evening. there are windows that face the same direction on the 1st and 2nd floors, and if i open them all, the 1st floor will cool quickly but the 2nd floor stays hot. does anyone else have this problem?

Heat rises.

FWIW, here's what I do. Open up every window and french door, and crack the garage door open first thing in the morning and leave it that way until the marine layer burns off or the inside temp goes above 72 degrees. Then I close all of those, draw the blinds (so that the inside slats head upward) and live like a mole until about 6 pm (and who cares since I'm at work during that time anyway). When I get home, I repeat the opening, along with using a <a href="http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw/102-6487505-3276161?initialSearch=1&url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=vornado&Go.x=0&Go.y=0&Go=Go">Vornado</a> in the master bedroom with the fan facing in (to pull the cool air in). It helps, but it's not perfect as all that great extra insulation the newer Building Code requires is really good at keeping the heat in. We still run the AC all night - and it does run.

Also, if you're not particular about your lighting, replace your standard lightbulbs with compact fluorescents, as they emit less heat (and use less electricity).

<p>The best way to cool down a 2-story house with a fan is to take a square-shaped fan and place it on the window sill of an upstairs window so that it blows <em>outward</em>. Next, try seal the area around the fan so that when it blows it will draw air from within the house and not outside air from the window in which it is positioned. This can be accomplished by partially closing the window so that it wedges the fan in place. A piece of cardboard could be positioned on top of the fan to cover the gap between the top of the fan and the window opening.</p>

<p>Next, close all the windows & doors in your house except for the the sliding glass back door (or a large window) down stairs. Leave it wide open.</p>

<p>Then go back up stairs and turn on your fan. Within minutes you should feel the cool air being sucked in from the back door down stairs. Your whole house cools quickly this way, provided that it is cool outside, like at night.</p>

<p>However, be careful. If you have a really well-sealed house and your fan is nicely sealed in the window frame, then if you forget to open the back door you may draw a large vacuum on your house and break a window!</p>

One of these days I'm going to build a plywood attic hatch with a horizontal fan. Then I can accomplish the same thing without having a noisy fan stuck in the window. I can just blow the interior air into the attic and open a window at the far-end of the condo.

<p>Because of the shallow attic your FAU situated in this tight space with a tight bend of the flexible duct work attached to your 2nd floor diffuser could be crimped thus compromising the air flow delivery to your upper level space. This is a common problem and I lived with it for 5 years before finding out the month I sold my house. Have Cal Pac or Aliso Air check into this.</p>

<p>Close all your lower level diffusers and this will force the pressure on to the remaining diffusers at the upper level. Install louvers on all your south and west facing windows especially those high windows that you can't reach in yout stairwell.</p>

<p>Because the dryer vent is not located near the ground it is somewhere along the second floor line level. Ordinary draft can pick up the light lint and clog the window screen closest to your dryer vent. You should rinse out your window screen closest to the dryer vent.</p>

<p>A circulating fan suggested by Eva should also helps.</p>

As far as cooling goes, this is not necessarily related to house cooling, but let me just vaguely offer the advice: think about what body hair you need, and which you don't need and get out the clippers and go to town.

<p>Stylish, too. The new standard of beauty for men is generally hairless. Next thing you know, men will be wearing pink!</p>

<p>Wait, we tried that once...</p>

Back