Columbus Grove, Irvine - What are the chances of changing school districts?

OCMommy

I really like the area of Columbus Grove close to Baranca and Harvard.  I like the central location and I like that it is newer.  I know people who have bought in the area and actually love it.  I know it is not a super desirable area and are thinking we may have a better chance of getting a more reasonably priced home there.  My biggest fear though is that we would be rezoned out of the Irvine schools.  My kids are elementary school aged and I would hate to be rezoned.  Is there a way to find out the probability of that happening?  Also, what are they planning for the area around the district?  Any thoughts, opinions about this area????

I think it's very hard to rezone school districts.  Both district will have to agree and probably will have to pass some other unknown red tape.  School districts usually do not want to let go of any of their "assets".  The assets are students and each student brings in money to the school district.  Why would Irvine school district want to give up a part of it's empire?

OCMommy said:
Also, what are they planning for the area around the district? 

Masterplan.jpg

What PatStar is trying to say is that the TUSD schools that service Irvine, Tustin Ranch and other areas on the border between the two cities are just as good as IUSD schools.

And even if they were to rezone, they may allow for your kids to stay to provide continuity. If not, you needn't have a "big fear" because the quality is just as good, if not better, than IUSD for certain schools in the TUSD district.

PatrickStar - Forget you!  That is me being polite versus what I really wanted to say.  Your post really pisses me off.  You took it so literally!  I know the TUSD schools that service the area are just as good.  I am currently living in a good school district that is zoned to an school that I am not super pleased with for a variety of reasons.  Therefore, if I am going to take the plunge and move to Irvine and pay the prices, I want the Irvine schools.  Many people do and I think your snippy remark was completely uncalled for.  It seemed to hit close to him... Bitter anyone?

I have been a lurker on this site for quite some time and IHB before that, so I should have expected that response if anyone even makes any reference to Irvine schools being better than others!  I am not sure I am ready to drink all the Irvine cool aid, but if I pay that price for a house then yes I want the *&(*&) Irvine schools!

Look at what you brought out of me!!!!!!

OCMommy said:
PatrickStar - Forget you!  That is me being polite versus what I really wanted to say.  Your post really pisses me off.  You took it so literally!  I know the TUSD schools that service the area are just as good.  I am currently living in a good school district that is zoned to an school that I am not super pleased with for a variety of reasons.  Therefore, if I am going to take the plunge and move to Irvine and pay the prices, I want the Irvine schools.  Many people do and I think your snippy remark was completely uncalled for.  It seemed to hit close to him... Bitter anyone?

I have been a lurker on this site for quite some time and IHB before that, so I should have expected that response if anyone even makes any reference to Irvine schools being better than others!  I am not sure I am ready to drink all the Irvine cool aid, but if I pay that price for a house then yes I want the *&(*&) Irvine schools!

Look at what you brought out of me!!!!!!

I completely agree with you.  You are making a major investment, perhaps the biggest of your life.
You want to get what you are paying for.  If you are moving to Irvine for Irvine school district, then that's great.
Dont' settle for anything less.  I can tell everyone that the middle/high school with the highest test scores in OC is Oxford academy in Anaheim.
Does that mean I will move to Anaheim/Buena Park so my kids can test into that school?  NO!!!
How about Whitney high school in Cerritos?  No school can come even close to Whitney, not even Oxford Academy. 
But, I am not moving to Cerrtios either.  BTW, my wife's nephew went to Whitney and my half twin sisters went to Oxford Academy.
I still think for my 3 kids, Irvine is a very good choice, maybe better than Whitney and Oxford!!!

OC Mom, don't let some sour grape's comment bother you.  Irvine has great schools and great amenities.  If you think it's worth the extra price, then go for it.
More power to you.

Patrick Star said:
Irvine2Irvine said:
OC Mom, don't let some sour grape's comment bother you.

Irvine2Irvine...is anyone who cracks a joke at Irvine's expense "sour grapes" or "sour loser"?  Do you have any sense of humor at all?  Sir, I also live in Irvine --- and have lived here for quite a number of years.  That "sour loser" BK you pointed out a couple of weeks ago has probably done more for this city than you can ever imagine. I wish I could tell you his real name so you could google it and realize how stupid your "sour loser" comment sounded.  Do you actually think what I typed about Northpark kids going to jail was serious?  Are you that blinded that you can't get a chuckle out of some Irvine's sillyness?  I sure can...but as those on this board and that other one who know me will attest, you would go a long way to finding anyone who loves and partcipates in this city more than I do.

Get over yourself.  Ugh --- try to have a little fun with this board and the Woodbury lynch mob comes after you.  I'll leave you to your fun discussions about push button water heaters and flooring upgrades.

Of course I know you are not serious.  And of course I know you are being sarcastic.

But, being saracstic at someone else's expense is just not called for.

If you have to put someone else down to make youself feel better, then I do feel sorry for you.

Patrick Star said:
Irvine2Irvine said:
If you have to put someone else down to make youself feel better, then I do feel sorry for you.

Then I trust you would feel just as sorry for someone who threw out the term "sour loser" on a regular basis?

I threw out the term "sour loser" exactley ONCE to one person who deserves it!!!

Perception is reality...homes in perceived better school district tend to carry a premium, and which makes it a better investment in the long run when all other factors being roughly equal.  This is true for all areas / states. 

If enough people believe Patrick's "joke" (which I believe many do believe to a certain extent due to perception, but not to that extreme), then it does become "reality", which in turn will be reflected in the market place.

irvine123 said:
Perception is reality...homes in perceived better school district tend to carry a premium, and which makes it a better investment in the long run when all other factors being roughly equal.  This is true for all areas / states. 

If enough people believe Patrick's "joke" (which I believe many do believe to a certain extent due to perception, but not to that extreme), then it does become "reality", which in turn will be reflected in the market place.

As I have stated in other posts, I do belive that the Tustin School District has great schools belonging to Tustin Ranch, West Irvine, and Northpark.  I also would not hesitate to put my kids in those schools except they are already settled in Irvine schools with their friends.  I just don't think it's appropriate to mock someone for wanting to move to a certain school district, whether it's Irvine School District or whatever it may be.

Patrick Star said:
Irvine2Irvine said:

Then I trust you would feel just as sorry for someone who threw out the term "sour loser" on a regular basis?  You see my point here, I2I?  What is so disappointing about what has become of Talk Irvine is the complete group-think here.  In the group-think mind of TI, anybody who says anything contrary to the Irvine Company marketing materials is some sort of a rogue loser, whiner, or jealous.  That closed mind is what I find disappointing.  But mostly, I am disappointed that the true Irvine "discussion" forum I partcipated in from day 1 (IHB) has evolved into this extension of a TIC glossy brochure.

Oh, well.  Best of luck to you, as well.  I don't think you or anyone else who bought a 2010 home is a loser, despite the fact it is not the same decision I have made.

Since you did a quite a bit of editing after others posted, let me just add one more thing.

There's plenty of discussions here on how many people do not like 2010 collection or parts of the collection and talk about it in this forum.
I myself bought into 2010 collection but there are plenty of things I wish they did better.
But the problem arises when people start to attack other people because the differnce in opinion.
It's just difference in opinion and everyone has different opinion.  One person's opinion is not necessarily better than others.
That's why it's called an OPINION and not FACT.

We can express our opinoin in this forum, but at the same time we need to respect other people's opinion.

Irvine2Irvine said:
Patrick Star said:
Irvine2Irvine said:

Then I trust you would feel just as sorry for someone who threw out the term "sour loser" on a regular basis?

I threw out the term "sour loser" exactley ONCE to one person who deserves it!!!

About that "one" person, I actually agree with Patrick Star.  Though I don't know him like Patrick Star, I have a lot of respect for that person.  I agree what he says is hard to read at times.  However, I believe that person did it for a reason.  What makes a forum great is different voices, and this is the internet, don't take it too personally.

Patrick Star said:
fe9000 said:
About that "one" person, I actually agree with Patrick Star.  Though I don't know him like Patrick Star, I have a lot of respect for that person.  I agree what he says is hard to read at times.  However, I believe that person did it for a reason.  What makes a forum great is different voices, and this is the internet, don't take it too personally.

And I'll add, I am looking forward to attending a block party at Montecito this summer.  I am fully expecting FE to have me singing the praises of the motorcourt ---after a few soju bombs, of course.  Just let me know the date, FE....you are working on the plans, correct?

You are giving me way too much credit.  For some reason, I don't think a "few" soju bombs would get you to sing the praises.  I think the only way to get you to sing praises about the motorcourts is if Jessica Alba is my neighbor.

Oh sorry for hi-jacking the thread, carry on, and keep the good discussion going.

fe9000 said:

Actually, I do agree with many negative things he detailed about 2010 collection, and do appreciate his insight.

What bugs me is that he personally attacked many of the posters and mocked them because their opinions or purchase decisions did not agree with his.
Maybe in other forums that he did have some positive things to say, and reading those posts may change my mind a little.

But, with so much negativity and only negativity spread around this forum, I just felt like he had something else going on besides being upset about people paying ridiculous prices on 2010 collecton.

Irvine2Irvine said:
fe9000 said:

Actually, I do agree with many negative things he detailed about 2010 collection, and do appreciate his insight.

What bugs me is that he personally attacked many of the posters and mocked them because their opinions or purchase decisions did not agree with his.
Maybe in other forums that he did have some positive things to say, and reading those posts may change my mind a little.

But, with so much negativity and only negativity spread around this forum, I just felt like he had something else going on besides being upset about people paying ridiculous prices on 2010 collecton.

I think of him as the Simon Cowell of real estate.  If he sees something good, he will say it.  Same with the bad. 

I2I, I also want to say thank you for all your posts and contribution here since you joined.  I hope you will continue to be a active member of this forum.

fe9000 said:
Irvine2Irvine said:
fe9000 said:

I think of him as the Simon Cowell of real estate.  If he sees something good, he will say it.  Same with the bad. 

I2I, I also want to say thank you for all your posts and contribution here since you joined.  I hope you will continue to be a active member of this forum.

But I don't think he needs to point out the bad while, like I2I said, attacking and mocking other posters.

fe9000 said:

He does have a lot of good information and opinions.  We just need to stop making it personal.  I will try to be more cordial also.

If you're so concerned with the school your child attends, I think you need to forget Irvine altogether. The school district is on the decline and by the time your child reaches high school it might not even be in the top ten.  The top Irvine High school was only ranked #4 and even Huntington Beach beat out University High.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/high-255041-county-school.html?data=1&appSession=35867722788229#article-data

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/high-255041-county-school.html?data=1&appSession=68667722868913#article-data

Back