Door between master bedroom and bathroom

Irvine2Irvine

Do all 2010 collection homes have no door between the master bedroom and master bathroom?
When did this become standard?  The builder charges for an "option" to have a door put in.  I think the option should be to take the door out.

I agree.  We got the plan 1 and how it is set up (in the model) the light from the bathroom would disturb any body sleeping in the bed.  My wife was thinking of adding a pocket door after the fact though I'm not sure how hard that is to do

Irvine2Irvine said:
Do all 2010 collection homes have no door between the master bedroom and master bathroom?
When did this become standard?  The builder charges for an "option" to have a door put in.  I think the option should be to take the door out.

This is not just for the 2010 Collection.  The home we bought 4 years ago was the same thing.  We had to add a door for the masterbath.

Back to the 2010 Collection, the home we bought we had to add the door option also.

If BK still post here he can probably give us the builder's point of view.  Or may even be a Culture preference (Asian vs Caucaisan). I have been to open houses (homes that are less than 10 years old) that doesn't have doors for the masterbath.  Too bad BK is not.

nytransplant said:
I agree.  We got the plan 1 and how it is set up (in the model) the light from the bathroom would disturb any body sleeping in the bed.  My wife was thinking of adding a pocket door after the fact though I'm not sure how hard that is to do

I think adding a pocket door later will be hard and expensive.  You would have to remove drywall and take out a few 2x4 and reframe so the pocket door can slide in. 
If you want the door, it might be better to let the builder add the regular door.  I think Sonoma master bathrooms are large enough that the door will not really get in the way like a smaller bathroom would.

Irvine2Irvine said:
ajw522 said:
Just another way for TIC to try to get more money out of you.

Will the toilet room door will be next?

I'm sure TIC has that in their future plans.  Along with every other door in the home and all windows, which are all frivolous luxuries.

This has actually been a trend in housing (at least in Irvine) for over 10 years.

Someone I know bought a new home in Lake Forest in 89 and it didn't have a door.

It's a way to make the master bedroom bigger... and most don't mind it unless you have vastly different schedules. IPOP from the old IHB forums actually put a door into his rental.

I don't think it's that hard to put in a regular door in most as long as you don't have some really large opening. I would rather extend that wall on the master shower... heh.

Agree, that putting in regular door should be fairly simple as the opening is already cased (at least for Sonoma).
The hardest thing to do is to find the matching door and hardware.  Also will need a matching paint.

we added the door as an option and then took it out. I want the door, and my husband doesnt. I think that door is needed if we both have different schedules and if he is taking a shower when i am in bed. HE wants it out because the door obstructs the view to the tub and also adds inconvinience when you go to the restroom middle of the night. SO those are the pros and cons of the door. We decided no door in the end.

I live in a house built in the late 80s (custom home) and for some reason both suites and the master bedroom do not have doors. Now that we bought a 2010 collection, we would love to have doors to the master bed because we have kids in the house. But they are charging $950 for the door option  ::) How much would it cost to get a door installed after escrow??

PPBABA said:
I live in a house built in the late 80s (custom home) and for some reason both suites and the master bedroom do not have doors. Now that we bought a 2010 collection, we would love to have doors to the master bed because we have kids in the house. But they are charging $950 for the door option  ::) How much would it cost to get a door installed after escrow??
Can't tell you for sure, but I know for a fact you can buy a door at Home Depot for around $50.

USCTrojanCPA said:
PPBABA said:
Can't tell you for sure, but I know for a fact you can buy a door at Home Depot for around $50.

Let me give you the numbers for Sonoma doors.
I looked at a "similar" door pattern, which is a special order item.  It was $120.  The door knob/level is $80 online.  It's Amtek brand and is solid brass.  I assume the hinges will be about $40 total.  Home Depot charges $200 for installation.  So far it's about $420 without including the painting.

I know for sure that we didn't pay any upgrades for having door in the entrance leading from
master bed to master bath. Also we didn't pay anything to have a door at the entrance to the toilet area.
This is for Monterey in WBE. So obviously this is not a general practice for 2010 collection.

Irvine2Irvine said:

waitin4ever said:
I know for sure that we didn't pay any upgrades for having door in the entrance leading from
master bed to master bath. Also we didn't pay anything to have a door at the entrance to the toilet area.
This is for Monterey in WBE. So obviously this is not a general practice for 2010 collection.

You are right.  I see that the door to Master bath is not shown as option for Monterey.  That is kind of strange that Brookfield Homes made it standard for Monterey, but made it option for Montecito which is a more expensive house.

One reason I would guess why they included the door for Monterey is the master closet is not in the bathroom.

The reason why I would guess it's not in most other models is because it cost less to make an opening than to frame for a door.

Personally... I don't mind not having in a door and in some layouts it becomes impractical because it will block something in the bathroom if you leave it open (in Moneterey Plan 3, it blocks the shower door, in Plan 2, the tub). A pocket door would address that but that's even harder to build for (remember when they used to have pocket doors between kitchens and formal dining rooms... now that's just an opening too... or a butler's pantry).

Actually, Monterey is the one that should have left the door off.  It has smaller master bath and the door adds to the "crowded" feeling. 

I ended up canceling the optional door.  If I do want the door to the bathroom later on, I will move the walk in closet door to the bathroom opening.  Then I will get a mirrored door for the walk in closet door.  That way I don't have to worry about matching the door later on.

That is stupid how they charge so much for that door.  Just another reason why my wife and I are glad we didn't buy one of those new Woodbury homes.  We find that the door to be a benefit for us as we have some different schedules, I have an office job while my wife is a nurse. 

iceman said:
That is stupid how they charge so much for that door.  Just another reason why my wife and I are glad we didn't buy one of those new Woodbury homes.  We find that the door to be a benefit for us as we have some different schedules, I have an office job while my wife is a nurse.

Actually, Montecito charged in the $300 range, which may be less than having it done later on.  Sonoma was $575.  Could not understand the difference of $200+.  I guess one is greedier than the other.  Not sure how much Carmel charges as I never got their options price list.

Carmel charges lik $950 :(

Irvine2Irvine said:
iceman said:

Actually, Montecito charged in the $300 range, which may be less than having it done later on.  Sonoma was $575.  Could not understand the difference of $200+.  I guess one is greedier than the other.  Not sure how much Carmel charges as I never got their options price list.

Back