Does better school performance follow newer neighborhoods?

irvinehomeowner

Anecdotally, I've been tracking elementary school scores and it seems like the schools that service the newer neighborhoods see a rise in their performance numbers.

For a while it was Alderwood (which serves Quail Hill, built in 03/04) and just recently, it was Stonecreek (which serves Columbus Square/Grove, built in 07/08). So I'm wondering if we will see this trend for Woodbury Elementary and Stonegate Elementary.

Is there some correlation?

Woodbury Elementary seems to be anomaly.  I know two families who have moved out of Woodbury due to the "crappy teachers" at WB elementary.  Scores are one thing, but when teachers don't assign homework til the 3rd week of school, and no homework for last 2 weeks and teachers not even grading/correcting papers were enough for my friend to move out of there.  The year-round school schedule seemed to have too many gaps, the teachers drag on getting things started and after a month, then they start to slack as a break comes near.  Don't know how others feel about it.  I like Woodbury, but am now reluctant to pull the trigger if we find a home there.

Like I said, this is all second hand info, but they were pretty upset for a number of years... enough so that they took a loss and moved.

shokunin said:
Woodbury Elementary seems to be anomaly.  I know two families who have moved out of Woodbury due to the "crappy teachers" at WB elementary.  Scores are one thing, but when teachers don't assign homework til the 3rd week of school, and no homework for last 2 weeks and teachers not even grading/correcting papers were enough for my friend to move out of there.  The year-round school schedule seemed to have too many gaps, the teachers drag on getting things started and after a month, then they start to slack as a break comes near.  Don't know how others feel about it.  I like Woodbury, but am now reluctant to pull the trigger if we find a home there.

Like I said, this is all second hand info, but they were pretty upset for a number of years... enough so that they took a loss and moved.

The Woodbury elementary used to be called "El Camino Real" elementary before it was moved from the old part of the town to Woodbury.  It always has been a year round school.  I believe that all teachers move from "El Camino Real".  Before it was moved, it was an OK school, but not the Irvine's best.
Many families move their kids out of the school because it was an year round school and crashed with older sibling's vacation schedule.  Irvine does not have year round school for middle and high school.  So, you can put your kid into a different school also. 

Back