Shopping for flooring

OKkid

I'm purchasing in Corona, right over the OC border. Does anyone have any flooring stores/installer recommendations? I guess Anaheim, Orange, etc. locations would be best because of the distance.

Thanks in advance.

OKkid said:
I'm purchasing in Corona, right over the OC border. Does anyone have any flooring stores/installer recommendations? I guess Anaheim, Orange, etc. locations would be best because of the distance.

Thanks in advance.

State College Blvd just north of the Angels stadium is called "Tile Row".  You will have dozens and dozens of flooring stores lined side by side.  The competition keeps the price down and you will have a huge selection.

I recommend New York Carpets on that "Tile Row":
http://www.newyorkcarpets.com/

They were the lowest we could find for carpet. Their prices for tile and wood are competitive but not as inexpensive.

I still wonder how all those stores stay in business with competition right next door to each other.

irvinehomeowner said:
I recommend New York Carpets on that "Tile Row":
http://www.newyorkcarpets.com/

They were the lowest we could find for carpet. Their prices for tile and wood are competitive but not as inexpensive.

I still wonder how all those stores stay in business with competition right next door to each other.

It probably means that they are rather high profit item, percentage wise including installation.

What do you guys think of Lumber Liquidators?  We'll probably be putting in wood floors in about a year.

Someone I know has also checked out both SF and LL and said SF was cheaper. I guess it depends on what flooring you are looking at.

Also, if you build in installation prices, you get a different story. Did you try LA Carpet or any of those places that advertise in the paper? Or that place on TV commercials that comes to your home... Empire?

True...it does depend on the type of flooring. I found that the majority of the flooring I found at LL was cheaper. I'm considering hardwoods---engineered and handscraped.

SF and LL are comparable on installation: $2.99 sq ft.

Haven't tried LA carpet. I did hit some stores on Tile Row but wasn't impressed, and they came in higher. Don't get me started on Empire...they have cheap-looking floor samples, a small selection, and came in over $3K compared to LL and SF.

Just remember with wood (and even laminate), there are other costs such as prior floor removal (tile being the most expensive to demo) and the price for all the quarter round moldings (to hide the edge gaps) and transition pieces.

Per sft it seems comparable to tile/stone but once you add up all the stuff... tile/stone ends up a better deal (and easier to maintain depending on the material you choose).

As for NY Carpet, from what they told me, they are so much cheaper on a lot of their carpets because they are seconds (leftovers, returns etc)... same quality but they can't honor the manufacturer's warranty. I don't think I know anyone who has had to use that warranty, they either steam clean it or change it... so I always wonder if that 10/15/30 year StainMaster warranty really means anything other than a marketing tool.

Agreed. I think SF added in all that stuff. A lot cheaper than Empire, but it's worth it to have LL come out and do measurements for a more accurate quote.

The flooring is going upstairs to replace the dated carpet (I can't do carpet because of bad allergies and our pets). I wanted to do all slate (bedrooms, hallway) but the Mrs. put a stop to that. Before I suggested the slate I told her I wanted to do hardwood in the bedrooms and tile in the hallway to match the ones we have downstairs. I think that was grounds for divorce.

She's the designer; I'm merely the check writer.

OKkid said:
Don't get me started on Empire...they have cheap-looking floor samples, a small selection, and came in over $3K compared to LL and SF.

I second that motion.  Empire has not been impressive in any experience with them.

Back