Moving to Irvine For Similar Size Home

OCMommy

I am back.  I thought I had gotten the over the moving to Irvine thing, at least for now, but find myself obsessing again.  Dh really thinks 2010 is a bad time and wants to wait it out a little.  I am starting to feel like it would be worth moving to the same size house just to get into the area.  I am really starting to hate the commute from North OC into Irvine everyday.

Today I found myself fantasizing about receiving one of those letters that has been posted about on this site.  How great would it be for someone to be eyeing our home in North OC and me not having to do anything about it.

It comes down to this, does it make sense to pay $250K more for the same size house just to live in Irvine?  I am so sick of obessing about this!

OCMommy said:
I am back.  I thought I had gotten the over the moving to Irvine thing, at least for now, but find myself obsessing again.  Dh really thinks 2010 is a bad time and wants to wait it out a little.  I am starting to feel like it would be worth moving to the same size house just to get into the area.  I am really starting to hate the commute from North OC into Irvine everyday.

Today I found myself fantasizing about receiving one of those letters that has been posted about on this site.  How great would it be for someone to be eyeing our home in North OC and me not having to do anything about it.

It comes down to this, does it make sense to pay $250K more for the same size house just to live in Irvine?  I am so sick of obessing about this!
I think you need an Irvine detox.  Let us know if you need an intervention.  haha

OCMommy said:

It's not just $250K more.  Chances are that the lot size will be smaller too.

What city in North OC are you in?

I think I do need an Irvine detox.  I just want this over with.  Talked with dh again about it tonight.  He thinks I am obsessed and says we need to put a timeframe.  I have worn him down.  He used to only be open to a 3CWG home and 3000 square feet as he felt it should be an upgrade, but tonight he says he accepts moving to a similar size home even is slowly accepting it may need to be a 2CWG. He feels strongly that 2010 is not the best time.

We live in Placentia where areas can be hit or miss.  We live in a new home community (late 90s) and so the lot size is already pretty small.  The schools are mostly good in Placentia-Yorba Linda School District with only a few "questionnable ones".  We are right on the border of fullerton, brea, and yorba linda - this area is funny that way.

For me the issue is really the commute, I am just so sick of it and truly believe our life as two working parents who are stressed out will be less complicated without a commute.  Especially if we do not go for a major upgrade as that would cause a new kind of stress - money!!!!

That's a nicer part of Placentia and I used to work close from there and have many friends there.  I would say most schools are almost as good as Irvine. 

However, I completely understand what you are saying about the commute.  You would be saving at least an hour a day in commute time.  That is a lot of extra time you can spend with your family and you would be a lot less stressed when you come home. 

All I can say is moving from a 3CWG back to a 2CG was very hard on us. It's one of the things we miss most... more than the 5th bedroom or the big backyard.

I forgot if you're work is North Irvine or South Irvine... some better deals can be found in Foothill Ranch, Lake Forest, Laguna Hills and Mission Viejo.

We both work near John Wayne and both feel that increasing our taxes, etc would not be worth it unless we move to Irvine.  I do not want to settle for another area South of Irvine, otherwise I will just stay here.  It certainly makes more financial sense!  I just do not want to trade one commute for another.

Back