In defense of the motorcourt...

irvinehomeowner

Recently we had a neighbor move in into our 'hood who has a kid the same age as ours and the usefulness of our cul-de-sac has improved exponentially. I talked to a friend recently who has an alley-backed garage and he also spoke about how nice that little "play street" is for the kids in his area.

It got me to thinking about the motorcourts of Montecito and I've grown to like the concept. It gives a mini cul-de-sac to the 4 or 6 homeowners without having to worry about parking on the street and unlike the alley homes, it actually brings neighbors closer together socially if they leave their front doors and garages open for the kids to access the house. I think Montecito II may work out to be a nice little family community, esp being across from the elementary school.

And I've never really been a fan of the alley garages and although aesthetically, the fronts of those type of house look better, I think you get more usefulness out of a motorcourt with driveway setup:

1. You can have backyards even if the homes are attached.
2. You have driveways to alleviate guest and street parking.
3. You have a little more separation from your garage and motorcourt.

Would I pay $100k more for that type of setup over something like Santa Cruz that has the front garage and motorcourt but no driveway? Probably not, but $50k... maybe.

What IHO describe is happening on our motorcourt.  Kids are playing, and I have talk to our neighbors more than the 4 years we had in our previous ally load homes.  Having the driveway is definitely an important key advantage.  It's a close concept to a mini cul-de-sac but let's face it, it's still not.  It's still very close to each other for the purpose of putting more homes on the land.

Here is my question, what are the advantages Montecito II location?  Or another way of asking this quesiton, what makes the current location less desirable? 

Desirable is relative.

The reason why I say MII will be family-friendly is it is right across from the elementary. Depending on how they lay it out, you could have end to end cul-de-sac clusters rather than just a border of clusters like they do around Carmel.

The only thing I can think of that would make it more desirable to me is that it's farther from the main streets and closer to the commons (and other pocket parks). But I'm convinced the price will be very undesirable compared to M-One.

irvinehomeowner said:
Desirable is relative.

The reason why I say MII will be family-friendly is it is right across from the elementary. Depending on how they lay it out, you could have end to end cul-de-sac clusters rather than just a border of clusters like they do around Carmel.

The only thing I can think of that would make it more desirable to me is that it's farther from the main streets and closer to the commons (and other pocket parks). But I'm convinced the price will be very undesirable compared to M-One.

Yeah, the park thing is the only that that I can think of as well.  But considering the price that M-One has been going for..and who knows how much Build-Out and the models will be...I think M-One buyers bought at the right time.  M-Two is not significantly "more desirable" than the M-One location, IMO.

I think the Montecito with 4 houses per motorcourt layout is not that bad at all.  All four houses are corner lot houses which somewhat offsets closeness to the neighbor in front.  I would take Montecito over the alley loaded detached condo without driveway any time. 

Unfortunately the motorcourt is just another example of how TIC is hearding people into tighter living situations.  The suburban dream used to be a nice fence (not a wall) and a lawn/backyard to call one's own.  In time this overcrowding of the suburbs is going to cost Irvine it's glory - though it might not be in our lifetimes. 

In my mind the sonoma lots are the smallest a SFR should get.  Unfortunately TIC has all the chips and will do what it can to maximize profits, even if its at the expense of changing the american dream

When I go home to park I don't want to worry about running over kids playing in front of my garage.

Mark my words, the next step TIC will take with SFRs is to build 3-story homes where the square footage of the home = square footage of the lot.  They will keep going unless the public votes with their wallets.  Let's see who gives in first.

Actually... I wouldn't mind a 3-story design if executed properly.

Hillside type homes have the perfect setup for this... the garage and extra living space (ie man cave / bonus room / guest room) is on the 1st floor, the main entrance and main living areas on the 2nd floor (with a backyard) and then the bedrooms on the 3rd floor.

Like those Sienna homes in Quail Hill on single loaded streets. Instead of building with the back on the cliff side, build with the front facing out with the street on the cliff side and the house up against the hill. You could put 4000-5000 sft homes on the same lot with 3-4 car wide garages (drool).

test said:
When I go home to park I don't want to worry about running over kids playing in front of my garage.

Does this mean you speed in and out of your garage?  I mean as long as you roll in at the speed you should be going.  I don't think kids would be your problem.

USCTrojanCPA said:
Mark my words, the next step TIC will take with SFRs is to build 3-story homes where the square footage of the home = square footage of the lot.  They will keep going unless the public votes with their wallets.  Let's see who gives in first.

No doubt that TIC will win that battle.  They already have been building 3-story homes since Northpark Square in 2002, if not earlier.  The Woodbury Portisol has a plan with 3rd story to add 350 sq ft.  So far they haven't building too many of them, but I think it's just a matter of time before TIC starts building more of them as the land is becoming more scarce. 

test said:

My parents live on a cul-de-sac with lots of tiny children and no front yards (well, they're older children now but there were tons of babies and toddlers for a few years there) and it really wasn't that big of a deal driving through there and parking and what not - the REALLY little kids have older kids or parents to herd them out of the way and the bigger kids just know better than to stand in front of a car.  I guess if you rocket around your residential area super fast you might hit a kid, but when you know there are often kids out there you drive slow for those last 10 yards.  Its really NOT a big deal.    Actually some parents bought some orange cones and put them out on the street, not obstructing cars, but just so cars would know that kids were out and about.

The motorcourt is like a long driveway.  No one should be going FAST on them.  There should be elevation change from the street to the motorcourt so you have to slow down before you enter it or scrape the heck out of bottom of your car or mess up the suspension.

Also, driving fast on the street you live on is like driving fast at your office parking lot.  Everyone knows who you are and will think less of you when they see you being reckless.

irvinehomeowner said:
It got me to thinking about the motorcourts of Montecito and I've grown to like the concept. It gives a mini cul-de-sac to the 4 or 6 homeowners without having to worry about parking on the street and unlike the alley homes, it actually brings neighbors closer together socially if they leave their front doors and garages open for the kids to access the house.

Isn't leaving your garage door open against the HOA rules?

freedomcm said:
You'll probably have to ask a Montecito rez.

I don't think my HOA says anything about my garage door... if that were the case, one of my neighbors would be thrown out since he uses his garage as his office and has it open all day.

I was watching Property Virgin the other night (like I do every night) and the HOA rules were ridiculous:

1. Owners can't have a large truck or SUV
2. No BBQ grills in the backyard

Interestingly enough, the agent got the HOA to change those rules in order for her buyers to buy but just the fact they had those rules was amazing to me.

freedomcm said:
irvinehomeowner said:
It got me to thinking about the motorcourts of Montecito and I've grown to like the concept. It gives a mini cul-de-sac to the 4 or 6 homeowners without having to worry about parking on the street and unlike the alley homes, it actually brings neighbors closer together socially if they leave their front doors and garages open for the kids to access the house.

Good question!!  I am going to guess it's not against the rules because we have the drive way.  Calling out ajw to find the answer, sorry I am too lazy to look for it.  :)

Sharing a motorcourt with neighbors is all good unless you're living with neighbors you dont like.

fe9000 said:
freedomcm said:
irvinehomeowner said:

Good question!!  I am going to guess it's not against the rules because we have the drive way.  Calling out ajw to find the answer, sorry I am too lazy to look for it.  :)

I'm pretty sure you are allowed to leave it open, as I have already seen many people at Montecito do that, myself included, but I have sent an email to the association just in case and will update when I get a response. :)

Back