Recommendation for garage epoxy

waitin4ever

Does anyone have a recommendation for garage epoxy. Do it yourself with home depot kit? Do it with a contractor?
Is it worth it etc etc?

I find that all material needed at home depot will be about 225/-. No idea about the quality of that
material to the industrial grade stuff that the contractors claim to use. But outside contractor rate is about 1300/-.
Is it better to get the material from home depot and hire a painter to do it.

Any insight is much appreciated.

I think it depends on if you are just going to park in your garage or use the garage as a secondary entertainment area.

It's just the garage, so I would paint it myself... but I'm lazy so I would hire a worker/painter (as opposed to a company) to do it for me.

P.S. If you do plan to entertain in your garage... I would suggest a nice big carpet to roll out or those garage floor rubber puzzle pieces.

$1300 is way too much. I had mine done for $500 + material by a painter. They really don't need that much time with it. On the first day the painter cleaned and etched the garage floor. Took him less than 2 hours. The next day he applied the epoxy. The whole thing didn't take more than 8 hours. I am thinking even the $500 is too much for such a small job.

bitmaster20 said:
$1300 is way too much. I had mine done for $500 + material by a painter. They really don't need that much time with it. On the first day the painter cleaned and etched the garage floor. Took him less than 2 hours. The next day he applied the epoxy. The whole thing didn't take more than 8 hours. I am thinking even the $500 is too much for such a small job.

I'd strongly recommend making sure that step one is done well.  That's the difference between a good deal and an expensive lesson.

Assuming the step 1 is done correctly is there any such thing as expensive/cheaper material
for step 2. Will a cheap few hundred dollar kit from home depot do the job. 

IrvineRealtor said:
bitmaster20 said:

I'd strongly recommend making sure that step one is done well.  That's the difference between a good deal and an expensive lesson.

You could get it done for less than that if you bought the materials instead of the packaged "kit" but again the important part is the prep work. 

You've also got to give the concrete adequate time to dry after cleaning it.  Water never lies.

waitin4ever said:
Assuming the step 1 is done correctly is there any such thing as expensive/cheaper material

IrvineRealtor said:
bitmaster20 said:

waitin4ever said:

The stuff that Home Depot/Lowes sell is not meant for heavy traffic. If you plan on pulling your car in/out of the garage everday you should go with a professional grade epoxy which can resist that kind of punishment.

Back