"Life is too short to work; yet too long not to" -RC

What should RC do?

• Option #1

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • Option #2

Votes: 6 60.0%

• Total voters

roundcorners

Just when I though I got everything figured out recently; I got another little suprise over the weekend.  I was offered a job at a vendor's company.  Here are the pros & cons, as much as I can think of...

Option #1 - Decline Position
Pros:
Keep my 25 hour work week
Have ample time & energy for family & friends
Able to persue burgening passions & interests

Cons:
Will maintain a sustainable yet limited income

Option #2 - Accept Position
Pros:
Over 100% raise
Ability to integrate current residual sales income
Increase international sales experience/responsibilities

Cons:
Will require 3-4 domestic trade show (NY, Chicago, SF, New Orlens) & 3-4 International Shows (Germany, Dubai, Shaghai) - Wife hates me to travel alone
Will be very busy, will have to put the kid in childcare
Wil have to deligate house/apt responsibilities

The kid is getting fussy, I'll write more if I think of other factors...

Thanks...!

thanks CK... just so you know, if I decline I am thinking in the best interest of the family.  The kid for the moment is that hard that he requires all of my wife and almost half of my time.  I know things will get easier as he gets older; but for the next year or so that it is still survival mode...

The interests I have in mind, the things I wrote for the past few weeks in creating a communal lifestyle are again, what I foresee as the best intent for the family and I.  I'm not off on some personal hobby or self-indulgence...  Now that is not to say if I take the job, I won't be involved but just not as integral...

wow.. after all that I wrote.. this is becoming a true test...  I'm having lunch with the VP, and if everything checks out I would like to accept the position...  Just gotta negotiate with the wife on how to navigate the travel dates... maybe on some trips she can come along...

I have never traveled for work; I have romanticize the thought of it before; but those that do it, tell me it gets old really fast... I need some input from some of you jet-setters out there...!

If i was offered the chance to double my income with another stable job i would do it in a heartbeat. That is a life changing event, even if it only lasted for two or three years. Like PStar said, at this point your family and their future/security should be your primary concern and finding yourself should be secondary. Once your kid is all grown up and out of college then you can take all the time you want to find yourself.

I'm not remembering well but currently is your kid in childcare?

Who is taking care of your son when you are not there?

I'm not sure if the original post means you will spend less time with your son or less time to do the things you want to do.

Doubling income is nice, but at the expense of spending time with your children... some don't think it's nice enough. That being said, we would be willing to reduce our income by 25-35% if one of us could be home with the kids after school.

There's always another option.

Option #3.  Give yourself a raise. 

Things to consider:
1. Does your current position allow you to meet your needs (materially, financially, emotionally, socially, spiritually)?
2. If so, why change? 
3. If not, what has stopped you from changing already?

-IR2

RC,

Sounds like a great opportunity. I am sure you have prayed about it and discussed it thoroughly with your wife and family. Whichever decision you make, it will be the right one. Best of luck.

irvinehomeowner said:
I'm not remembering well but currently is your kid in childcare?

Who is taking care of your son when you are not there?

I'm not sure if the original post means you will spend less time with your son or less time to do the things you want to do.

Doubling income is nice, but at the expense of spending time with your children... some don't think it's nice enough. That being said, we would be willing to reduce our income by 25-35% if one of us could be home with the kids after school.

it's just the wife and I, we get the occasional sitter but it's just us... no child care yet...

things at 15 months are not getting any easier... again I      to compare, but we just got an active one, I really wonder when it will get a little easier, first we though it is his first birthday, then maybe when he can walk; now we are just holding our breath till he can communicate better...

Trying not to get into your personal life too much but is the assumption that your wife stays home and you work?

If your child is being taken care of by at least one parent, I don't think you will have to worry too much about spending less time with them as at least there is one of you there. So I would consider the other opportunity for the reasons you state but would also need to have:

1. More stability.
2. Work that I enjoy more or am more interested in than I currently am doing (<- big for many people).
3. A discernible ladder that will lead to better things.
4. Hours that does not take away too much time from my family.

Most of us work 40 hours a week and while that may be a lot, there is still the evening and weekends to spend with our families. Often I feel it's not enough but at the same time it does help to be with peers/adults during part of your day to give you some variety.

I understand your frustration a bit with your toddler (boys do seem to be a handful) but soon enough you will be missing these "hectic" days.

I don't think RC is pursuing his own dreams or finding himself at the expense of his family.  His thoughts of creating a different environment, I am sure he has his family in mind.  Like RC, I would romanticize about traveling from time to time.  However, I had to travel for a couple of days and really miss the little one.  I almost went through the same thing as you but it wasn't an over 100% raise either.  If it was me, I would probably do it (my wife will want me to do it :)  ) but I am not you.  All questions in this thread are very valid very true questions.  Knowing you from your posts, you will figure it out and whatever you decide will be the  most informed decision for you and your family. 

Back