Built-in refrigerator

Irvine2Irvine

Some of the 2010 collection homes "offer" built-in-refrigerator at about $9K.  If you don't opt for it, then they will make the cabinet opening smaller, so you can't add it after the close of escrow.  You are "stuck" with a freestanding refrigerator.

For people who bought new home recently including going back a few years, did you or did you not opt in for built-in refrigerator?  If you had the option, why did you or why didn't you?

The only problem with counter-depth refrigerators is you lose internal space. That's why built-ins are wider to make up for the loss of depth.

I would probably find out what a contractor would charge to put in a built-in, request the builder do the cabinet widths as if they were putting in a built-in and spend less than $9k.

jumpcut said:
Irvine2Irvine said:
ps99472 said:
Does this apply to Sonoma?

Yes, it applies to Sonoma and Carmel.  I never knew that built-in refrigerator costed so much.
It doesn't.  Builder's upgrades always contain outrageous profits.  And don't forget, that $9K will be added to your purchase price and you'll be paying property tax on it for as long as you own the house.

Just go to Pacific Sales and get a counter-depth refrigerator...same look at 1/3 the price.

Some built ins do cost that much.  All of the very high end lines (Sub-Zero, Viking etc.) have a price floor.  That is what I've been told.  They don't allow retailers to sell below a certain price point. 

We bought a new duplex home with a refrigerator opening area for a 42" built-in.

Since we do not even know we are going to live in the newly purchased  home (owing to employment relocation issue), we do not want to spend 8K for a fridge. In order to save a few thousand dollars, we did discuss with the builder's Design Center about making the opening area a bit smaller so that we could buy a much less expensive 36" counterdepth standalone one.  A designer at the design center reminded us if we did a smaller refrigerator, it would not look as nice as the scale would be off compared to the rest of the kitchen appliances, e.g. the 6-burners cooktop.

We do not opt for the built-in fridge with the builder (Electrolux, Thermordore, or Subzero priced at $8,000 - $ 12,000 plus whatever taxes) but will buy a cheaper one with on line sources, i.e. a GE Profie 42"  around $5,200 (no sales tax but need to pay $500 for installation).

Having said that, we still think the Design Center's option prices are reasonable if you are planning to live in your new home for a long time for the reasons listed below:

1. All businesses need to make profit. 
2. The builder carries higher insurance cost to install the options while the new home is still being built
3. The refrigerator options are high end products with good quality. 
4. Save your trouble to find your own installer.
5. Refrigerator delivery/installation might scratch your new flooring

irvinehomeowner said:
I would probably find out what a contractor would charge to put in a built-in, request the builder do the cabinet widths as if they were putting in a built-in and spend less than $9k.

The problem is not the width since they leave it at 42", but the height.
They will actually make the height lower with cabinet above the refrigerator space.  (That's what I have been told by the sales people).  Have you talked to the builder about leaving the built-in size opening (width ADN height) with the builer?

If it's just the height, that's even easier. I would think that it would be fairly routine to remove a top cabinet than to widen an opening.

I would shop around for a 42" built-in that matches their appliances (I'm not sure if they use KitchenAid or some other brand) and then ask if they install or find a contractor.

irvinehomeowner said:
If it's just the height, that's even easier. I would think that it would be fairly routine to remove a top cabinet than to widen an opening.

I would shop around for a 42" built-in that matches their appliances (I'm not sure if they use KitchenAid or some other brand) and then ask if they install or find a contractor.

The problem with height is after you remove the top cabinet, you will still need a shorter top cabinet (or trim kit) to fill in the space above the built-in refrigerator.  The built-in refrigerator does not go all the way to the top of cabinets.  I am not sure how easy it is to match the existing cabinet and it would cost some money.

After I started this post, I did a little more research.  Sonoma carries only the KitchenAid built-in.  Google shopping for KitchenAid KSSC42QVS shows the lowest price from an online merchant of $6540.  Lowes and Sears are above $8000.  Add in the installation fee and cabinet rework, I think it's actually better to get it from the builder at $8700 for reasons fish2cat listed above.

For myself, the big question is whether to go with cabinet depth freestanding or built-in from the builder.  The price difference is about $6K and does built-in ref justify the increased cost???

whats another 9K on top of a million? just go with the built in option from the builder.

fish2cat said:
We bought a new duplex home with a refrigerator opening area for a 42" built-in.

Since we do not even know we are going to live in the newly purchased  home (owing to employment relocation issue), we do not want to spend 8K for a fridge. In order to save a few thousand dollars, we did discuss with the builder's Design Center about making the opening area a bit smaller so that we could buy a much less expensive 36" counterdepth standalone one.  A designer at the design center reminded us if we did a smaller refrigerator, it would not look as nice as the scale would be off compared to the rest of the kitchen appliances, e.g. the 6-burners cooktop.

We do not opt for the built-in fridge with the builder (Electrolux, Thermordore, or Subzero priced at $8,000 - $ 12,000 plus whatever taxes) but will buy a cheaper one with on line sources, i.e. a GE Profie 42"  around $5,200 (no sales tax but need to pay $500 for installation).

Having said that, we still think the Design Center's option prices are reasonable if you are planning to live in your new home for a long time for the reasons listed below:

1. All businesses need to make profit. 
2. The builder carries higher insurance cost to install the options while the new home is still being built
3. The refrigerator options are high end products with good quality. 
4. Save your trouble to find your own installer.
5. Refrigerator delivery/installation might scratch your new flooring

> 1. All businesses need to make profit.
The question is how much of a profit? Someone just spent a million dollars on a house - that doesn't mean the builder has to take every last cent the person has

> 3. The refrigerator options are high end products with good quality
Doesn't mean a buyer should have to pay significantly more when they could buy the same products elsewhere for a reduced price

Not mentioned that it would be cheaper and easier to install the options while the house is being built so IMHO the upgrades should be discounted

I think it depends on your preference and maybe how long you plan to stay there.

I think the biggest problem with built-ins is if something goes wrong, maintenance is probably more expensive. It looks nicer but in the end a nice free standing stainless looks just as good... especially if you get a counter depth one so it has the same flush look.

I don't mind my refrigerator sticking out a bit but I have a few reasons:

1. Space: More internal space if it's not counter depth.
2. Museum: Most stainless steel refs aren't magnetic on the front but only the sides, so that's where the magnets that hold up the various kid art goes.

I do think $9k is a lot compared to $1k+for a quality stand-alone (we bought our KitchenAid for around that price at Pacific Sales and we love it). But as qwerty points out, you won't notice the monthly hit very much.

Irvine2Irvine,

The decision is very personal one - it all depends on your needs.

Though costly, a 42" built-in fridge gives a more luxury look and goes well with other built-in appliances in the kitchen, i.e. built-in wall over. Unfortunately, there are not too many 42" built-in selections nor 42" freestanding on the market. 

If you go for a 36" counterdepth freestanding, you have plenty of choices with much lower prices.  This allows you to find a replacement easily should your fridge is not working well.  Or, you can take it along with you if you move to another home. However, if you have a big family to feed, you might need to consider if a 36" counterdepth fridge is sufficient or not. 

If I plan to live in a new home for many years, I don't mind to pay a couple thousands more to compliment the luxury look of a million dollars home (well, almost).  Conversely, if I plan to sell (or rent it out) after a few years,  then the spending might not be justified. 

FYI - i got the same Kitchenaid model you referenced above from the Great Indoors which is owned by Sears (during one of their frequent sales) for $6500 (including tax).  Install was $360 so call it $7000 even.  Basically the builder is screwing you out of $1700 because they won't leave you an opening that accommodates a built-in fridge.
[/quote]

Well..., I know that builders charge you extra beyond what the going rate is on the retail market.  Sadely the $1700 premium on a $7000 item is fairly tame for the builder premium compared toother upgrades like countertops, flooring, etc.  My dilema is whether the built-in is worth $4000-$6000 extra over the counter depth freestanding refrigerator.  I am new to the built-in refrigerartor market and am wodering there's anything extra beyond the "built-in look". 

I know this is an old topic but wanted to see if anyone has new (any) experience with opting out of the builders built in options and adding it later. 

Let's start witht the design studion at Sonoma offering A built in 42" kitchen Aid fridge for about $9000.

I went to Pacific Sales today - they offer a 42" Sub-Zero for $8799.  Its free delivery and $250 for the instalation.  However cutting out the existent cabinents costs extra.

In the model (plan 1 - no built in) the cutout is 42" and the height is 73."  The Pacific sales guy said a cutout of 41.5" is optimal for installation (he also looked up the kitchen Aid which also recomends 41.5" of space).  The height is 83.6" so the cabinets above the fridge needs to be removed and replaced by some panel that matches the cabinets.

So here is the big question - Do the builders change the cutout sizes just to make it hard to do your own built in?  Are my measurements wrong?  Did anyone do the built in after the fact?

nytransplant said:
I know this is an old topic but wanted to see if anyone has new (any) experience with opting out of the builders built in options and adding it later. 

Let's start witht the design studion at Sonoma offering A built in 42" kitchen Aid fridge for about $9000.

I went to Pacific Sales today - they offer a 42" Sub-Zero for $8799.  Its free delivery and $250 for the instalation.  However cutting out the existent cabinents costs extra.

In the model (plan 1 - no built in) the cutout is 42" and the height is 73."  The Pacific sales guy said a cutout of 41.5" is optimal for installation (he also looked up the kitchen Aid which also recomends 41.5" of space).  The height is 83.6" so the cabinets above the fridge needs to be removed and replaced by some panel that matches the cabinets.

So here is the big question - Do the builders change the cutout sizes just to make it hard to do your own built in?  Are my measurements wrong?  Did anyone do the built in after the fact?

I think that is exactly what the builders are doing.  I did ask the design center if they could leave the built in opening even though I did not order the built in.
They said they are not allowed to do that.

I am going to do some custom cabinet work in the dining room which will match the kitchen cabinets. I am planning to have the cabinet guys build a panel kit to cover the space above the built in refrigerator.
I am not sure if I would ever do the "built-in" fridge, but if I do, then I will be covered with the panel kit.

We did not go with the builder's option but to buy a Kitchen-Aid 42" built-in with a very good price from a special source - $5,600 included tax and delivery plus $200 installation.  The installation workers did a wonderful job. We love our fridge and everything works out.

fish2cat said:
We did not go with the builder's option but to buy a Kitchen-Aid 42" built-in with a very good price from a special source - $5,600 included tax and delivery plus $200 installation.  The installation workers did a wonderful job. We love our fridge and everything works out.

Did you buy a Sonoma home?  Did the installation involve any changes to the width or height of the cabinets?

My new home is located in Paloma at Portola Springs. No alternation was made to the case opening area as almost all 42" built-in fridge come with a standard height and width. The installers simply performed some general procedures, i.e. connecting the water and electrical supply, sliding it in the case area, and stabling it with some screwing work. 

Back