Math

tmare

I guess I'd like to avail myself to anyone who has questions about their children's math education. I've been teaching math for 22 years at all levels K-Algebra 1. I'm also experiencing it first hand at home starting with Kindergarten this year. I know I don't have all of the answers but I have some good suggestions if anyone is stumped.

[quote author="tmare"]I guess I'd like to avail myself to anyone who has questions about their children's math education. I've been teaching math for 22 years at all levels K-Algebra 1. I'm also experiencing it first hand at home starting with Kindergarten this year. I know I don't have all of the answers but I have some good suggestions if anyone is stumped. [/quote]

Any suggestions on good math websites for kids at the K-1 age range?

I've heard good things about
www.starfall.com (for reading, spelling, and phonics)
and
www.funbrain.com (in general)

Thank you,
-IR2

http://www.nctm.org/resources/content.aspx?id=23220

This site has tons of information about math programs and practice for all grades.

Starfall is supposed to be an excellent program that is highly recommended by Kindergarten teachers and best of all is it's free!

My son has always found the PBS Curious George games as well as the Nick Jr. games to be a lot of fun and most of them encourage critical thinking and problem solving.

I always thought teachers with students with high standard test scores received cash money, Hawaiian vacations, and new cars. This is why they have an incentive to game the system. Is that true?

zubs-I have to believe you are kidding. No there's no bonus program for teachers, zero, nada, nothing.

no_vas-The test score pressure is real, but to date it is really pressure that is placed on the whole school (or math and language arts departments) rather than on an individual teacher. I could go on, but essentially as department chairperson I feel the pressure to improve scores and we do what we can. No teacher actually "gets into trouble" for poor test scores. This is a huge can of worms and I may not be saying the same thing in a few years.

I was trolling u for a response! But seriously, I thought schools got more funding if their kids scored higher on standardized tests. Perhaps this is not true.

Actually, for now, that isn't true. However, things in education are evolving daily. It might be true later. Of course, that wouldn't actually make any sense but no one seems to care about sense anymore.

Tmare, I will be contacting CAR to suggest that all realtors in California have to pass a basic math exam and if they fail they have to come to your class for a crash course lecture. <!-- s:p -->:p<!-- s:p -->

If anyone is currently dealing with the pleasure of math facts, I found a great site for you. It has +, -, X facts broken into simple parts and facts tests that can be taken on the computer (the program grades them for you) and the kids get a time also. You can also print them if you like. They are only 1-2 minute tests and they are cumulative.

Here it is (easy to remember too!):
http://www.multiplication.com

[quote author="tmare"]If anyone is currently dealing with the pleasure of math facts, I found a great site for you. It has +, -, X facts broken into simple parts and facts tests that can be taken on the computer (the program grades them for you) and the kids get a time also. You can also print them if you like. They are only 1-2 minute tests and they are cumulative.

Here it is (easy to remember too!):
http://www.multiplication.com[/quote]

Skate times skate is sticky floor? Seriously!?!? This country is seriously screwed when it comes to Math.

8x8=64.gif

Is that skate thing really on that site? Pretty funny. Yes, we are in trouble, but, whatever works.

Back