Interior Painter Recommendation?

scubasteve

Hi All

It's been awhile since I've posted. I just found out that my wife is pregnant!  I was going to paint my new house myself, but given the circumstances, I just want to have it done quickly so my unborn won't have to inhale too much paint fume!  Any ideas on how much it would cost to the entire interior of a house with just one paint tone?  Do you have any recommendations for painters as well?  I'm expected to close escrow at the end of the month.

dude steve, congrats man!  I forgot how much exactly how much one gallon covers, but roughly one regular bedroom; paint varies from $15-$50 a gallon; I like a semi-gloss; egg shell, not completely flat... paint is always a good investment, for some reason, even if you get the right color you want to match, the cheap paints just don't look and feel right; I have never regretted splurging on paint; I mean you have to look at it everyday!  Few other lessons, it always looks darker on the wall than on the swatch; so always go lighter if you can; if you go with one tone - maybe a swiss coffee color; or some other off-cream version...

If you need a hand, I don't mind pitchin in a few hours; it'll take a couple of days for the place to air out for the wife; a good idea for the nursery, is to find a theme at Baby's and copied all the colors you see in a particular picture, magazine, blanket or furniture...

Steve - One of my buyer's good friends owns a painting service company.  Let me know if you would like the contact info.

I have two contacts but I can't find the number for one of them. I would call a few have them estimate and compare their prices.

Depending on the size of your home, it can take 1 or 2 days... and usually there is very little smell if they use a low VOC paint. Both of my contacts use Dunn Edwards paint exlusively (they will color match if you find a color in a different brand) and I do believe they have a zero/low VOC product.

We've had our homes painted 3 times... and all 3 times we really didn't notice the odor so you should be okay if you do it a day or two before you move in. PM me for the info.

Thanks all! PM's sent.

BTW, I did call some painters today and the quote they gave me was for 2000-2500 for an 1800 sqft place.  It sounds a little high to me.. what do you guys think?

@RC, yea it was a pleasant surprise to find out my wife was pregnant, since we weren't really planning.  I'm pretty nervous and excited at the same time. Might have to talk to you for some tips!

roundcorners said:
dude steve, congrats man!  I forgot how much exactly how much one gallon covers, but roughly one regular bedroom; paint varies from $15-$50 a gallon; I like a semi-gloss; egg shell, not completely flat... paint is always a good investment, for some reason, even if you get the right color you want to match, the cheap paints just don't look and feel right; I have never regretted splurging on paint; I mean you have to look at it everyday!  Few other lessons, it always looks darker on the wall than on the swatch; so always go lighter if you can; if you go with one tone - maybe a swiss coffee color; or some other off-cream version...

If you need a hand, I don't mind pitchin in a few hours; it'll take a couple of days for the place to air out for the wife; a good idea for the nursery, is to find a theme at Baby's and copied all the colors you see in a particular picture, magazine, blanket or furniture...

Where were you all my life?  Great suggestions, and I second his suggestion.  In our previous home, we also used semi-gloss, eggshell, not too flat.  We really like the feel of it.  The color is the thing I wish I knew.  The color looked fine on the samples but a bit too dark on the wall.  So RC's suggestion of the color is right on the money.

scubasteve said:
BTW, I did call some painters today and the quote they gave me was for 2000-2500 for an 1800 sqft place.  It sounds a little high to me.. what do you guys think?
Actually... that sounds about right. I think we paid in that range for our place, same square footage, 2 colors and they also painted our fireplace and our stair rail (rail only... no spindles).

You should find out how many coats they do also... and as RC says... if you are going one color a neutral tone works best. We've done a beige-ish tone twice (our current is a bit more yellow/green where our first was more cofee-ish) but we also did a greenish/brown seafoam type color (the first time we painted our house) that looked very nice.

And also agree with RC about the sheen, with a kid, eggshell cleans better and the slight shine makes the walls look good.

Bathrooms and kitchen should be painted with semi-gross and the rest of the house eggshell (that's what I've done in my properties).

scubasteve said:
Thanks all! PM's sent.

@RC, yea it was a pleasant surprise to find out my wife was pregnant, since we weren't really planning.  I'm pretty nervous and excited at the same time. Might have to talk to you for some tips!

I know exactly how you feel, Steve... I know I'm just this weird guy on the internet to you, but I let me know if there is anyting I can do.  We don't have much, but we do have have some baby stuff; I don't have much money, but we care about those around us.  We might not know everything, but at lease we are a little ahead of you guys...  I know we only have a 1-bedroom but I don't say this flippantly or tritely,,, Mi Casa es Su Casa... brother... my fridge is always open!  ^_^

Dunn Edwards. Both of my contacts swear by it.

I think you can find Sherwin Williams at Ace Hardware and Pottery Barn uses it in their stores (they also have the swatches). We actually used a Sherwin Williams color but in Dunn Edwards paint.

escrowbear said:
Sherwin Williams or Dunn Edwards?

The painter I used for exterior painting swears by Dunn Edwards. I have been to their stores in Tustin and Santa Ana, and the customer service was great.

We are also looking for a painter to paint the interior of our home before we move into the home in July.  Whoever knows a good painter, please PM their contact information. 

New2Irvine and Iceman, I PMed the both of you guys with my buyer's contact info.  For anyone else who wants it....my buyer's painter name is Tony Kim and his number is 714-478-7080.

Back