PeterUK's Talk Irvine Cycling Blog was updated...

I like the blog. One suggestion: the ability to carry our talkirvine accounts over to it and post there with the same identity. Is that possible?

[quote author="Mojo"]I like the blog. One suggestion: the ability to carry our talkirvine accounts over to it and post there with the same identity. Is that possible?[/quote]

I was just thinking, Mr Socal was able to take updates from my Cycling Blog and put them into the TI Blog...

Don't spend any time on Blogging until we get all this sorted out...

And btw, if anyone wants to Blog but thinks they need special skills, you don't, it's almost exactly the same as posting to TI...a slightly different layout in the Toolbar but it's very intuitive...

If I can do it anyone can <!-- s:( --:mad:<!-- s:( -->

[quote author="Mojo"]I like the blog. One suggestion: the ability to carry our talkirvine accounts over to it and post there with the same identity. Is that possible?[/quote]

that's a good question, it would be good if we could but I don't know how. You'll need a gmail account to post a reply.

In any case, the latest update is right up your MTB Alley...
http://cycling.talkirvine.com/ Have you ever seen the Bridge? It's right on the Backbay...

PeterUK has some good new posts up on his Cycling Blog.

Topics of interest:

The $30,000 Bike
Why All Cyclists Should Live in Irvine
Rock Racing denied UCI Pro License
The reveal of which new bike he's chosen since his accident
The benefits of a single-speed bike

Check out Peter's work here.

Wow! $30k for a bike!

Peter, I'm curious, is this something that is designed for the Olympics and/or Tour de France? Or is it just something to help unburden people who have too much money?

I'm also interested in the software for the bike. Do you have any good sources of information?

[quote author="winex"]Wow! $30k for a bike!

Peter, I'm curious, is this something that is designed for the Olympics and/or Tour de France? Or is it just something to help unburden people who have too much money?

I'm also interested in the software for the bike. Do you have any good sources of information?[/quote]

Good questions winex, you can go to their Homepage at http://www.factor001.com/.

I should actually go back and edit the price, after a cursory google search I see the price is ?25000 !!! So that's way more than $30K...and if you want one act now because they're only gonna make 300 of them!!
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/news/5355426/BERU-Factor-001-review.html

It's not meant to be a Tour de France Bike it's more of a training Bike/Tool so you can Plug it into your Laptop when you get home and get the history of your power output, heartrate, elevation, wind speed etc etc...

You can do exactly the same thing with a $500 Garmin 705 which are quite amazing...

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=10885

With the 705 you can input a turn-by-turn colored display, when you get Home, plug it into your Laptop and a little red dot will appear along with the Highlighted route you have just ridden and give all kinds of info and it's integrated into Googlemaps plus it will show your elevations, heartrate (It's fun to watch the heartrate go up with the elevation) and the wind speed is taken from the closest Airport...

You can then publish the data on their site so others can download the route and of course you can download routes posted by other Riders...

You can also Race yourself on subsequent rides to see how you're improving.

Oh, and when you get the Bike, don't be a cheapskate, throw some $15,000 Wheels on it from Lew Racing...

20070928-750lasvegas-280-75.jpg

Thanks Peter.

I would hope/assume that the software available would do something more than the Garmin unit could do for you. If it's a training device, I would hope that there were sensors in the peddles so they could tell how fast/hard you were peddling and point out other inefficiencies (maybe angle of the bike during various phases of the ride???)

What does a bike that you could actually ride in the Tour de France run for these days?

winex, you're correct, to obtain power info (in watts) you need something like this http://www.modernbike.com/itemgroup.asp?igpk=2126176737&TID=367 but you can get less spendy ones that replaces the rear hub...

To buy a Team replica Bike like the one below with the Shimano Di2 electronic drive-train used by Team Sky would set you back around $17,000. The Gears, Brakes and Cranks alone cost $4500!!

1260530745770-16205uilj1lpj-798-75.jpg

There are 23 Riders in the Team, each one is given 3 or 4 Bikes, a Road racing Bike, a back-up which sits on top of the Car following them, a TT Bike and one for home to train on. Pinarello donated $11 million worth of bikes over the next 3 years.

It costs around $20 million to run a Team for a year.

The doping scandals over the last few years has really hurt Cycling because it makes it very risky to sink that kind of dough into a Cycling Team.

The other thing is, although more People watch the Tour de France than Baseball, football and Basketball combined, and then some, People watch it for free...they stand on the roadside so there's no revenue from Ticket sales...there were 15 million People watching from the Roadside in France last year and it was Televised in over 40 Countries.

As far as Corporations are concerned, the Peleton (french for group of cyclists) is merely a rolling Billboard.

Hey petah... does anyone sell those rickshaw type tricycles locally? And how much do they run?

My kids are too big to pull around in one of those baby trailers and I think it would be fun workout for me to tricycle them around the neighborhood on the weekends.

[quote author="irvinehomeowner"]Hey petah... does anyone sell those rickshaw type tricycles locally? And how much do they run?

My kids are too big to pull around in one of those baby trailers and I think it would be fun workout for me to tricycle them around the neighborhood on the weekends.[/quote]

Now I know why you want a 3 car garage IHO!!
Do you mean like this one? http://www.pedicab.com/

Those are the ones... but man... the least expensive pedicab is $2900!

I see them sometimes at the OC Fair Swap Meet... I should ask where they bought theirs locally. I think it would be a fun to have one of these.

Kids are too big for that I think. And I'm a litte wary of things that hang off the end of a bike on the ground... I feel more secure if they are up higher with me.

I should check Craigslist.

Hey Peter, I have a trite bicycling question that I always think about when I see you guys ridding around town...

You know those colorful Cycling Jerseys that you wear while riding? Well how do you get those cool corporate sponsorships? And then I start to think, well, maybe you just buy them, like that from the store? But why? I mean, do you get paid to sponsor a corp? Or is it the other way around, do you have to pay, to wear a corp you like on your back? Why can't you guys just have a plain jersey?

RC, a lot of corps give those jerseys to their cycling employees. At least all the companies I have worked for did.

[quote author="roundcorners"]Hey Peter, I have a trite bicycling question that I always think about when I see you guys ridding around town...

You know those colorful Cycling Jerseys that you wear while riding? Well how do you get those cool corporate sponsorships? And then I start to think, well, maybe you just buy them, like that from the store? But why? I mean, do you get paid to sponsor a corp? Or is it the other way around, do you have to pay, to wear a corp you like on your back? Why can't you guys just have a plain jersey?[/quote]

[quote author="roundcorners"]Hey Peter, I have a trite bicycling question that I always think about when I see you guys ridding around town...

You know those colorful Cycling Jerseys that you wear while riding? Well how do you get those cool corporate sponsorships? And then I start to think, well, maybe you just buy them, like that from the store? But why? I mean, do you get paid to sponsor a corp? Or is it the other way around, do you have to pay, to wear a corp you like on your back? Why can't you guys just have a plain jersey?[/quote]

:-[ 99.99999% of the Guys you see on the Street wearing "Pro-Kits" don't get any kind of sponsorship or payment for wearing all the Logo's, in fact, they're very expensive to buy...

That's not the first time I've been asked this question btw <!-- s;) -->;)<!-- s;) -->

Back