Wet Bars

socal78

When you see a house with a wet bar, what do you think of it? I know they can be useful but I can't help but think they look outdated. (What floor plans these days contain wet bars??) If you bought a house with a wet bar, would you keep it or remove it?

In the new construction homes we have seen, or even stuff built after 2000, i have not seen wet bars.  If we did buy a house with a wet bar we would remove it right away since it looks very dated like you said.

socal, I have seen several dads who use the wet bar as a computer/tech center, I think Mr. Socal would like that!  It reminded me something out of the matrix, with several flat-screens/monitors and still be able to watch the living room TV in the background...

I think it depends on the execution of the wet bar.

Some are just an alcove in the wall (like a media niche) and others you can actually step behind like a real bar.

It also depends where it's located. Most are part of the family room (at least most of the ones I see) but some are part of the living room.

A relative of mine has the alcove style one in their family room and whenever they host are parties, they use it for a coffee bar, appetizer bar or dessert bar so it has other function rather than the alcoholic type.

In more modern plans, it's been replaced by the butler's pantry (at least the ones with the sink) and is usually hidden as a hall between the kitchen and the dining room.

It does look a bit out of place but depending on your lifestyle, you could find use for it (as my relative has).

Back