Weight Loss, Fitness and Exercise

ocphysique

Looking to discuss, talk and answer questions anyone may have about health, fitness, exercise, weight loss, and anything related to those topics.

Confused about diet fads?

Not sure how to start exercising?

Need that extra push?

Wanna try something new?

[quote author="peteruk"]Hey OCP...welcome to Irvine Talk! [/quote]

Yeah, what he said! ... and welcome to Talk Irvine too! ;D

[quote author="SoCal78"]
[quote author="peteruk"]Hey OCP...welcome to Irvine Talk! [/quote]

Yeah, what he said! ... and welcome to Talk Irvine too! ;D[/quote]

whoops... :-[ Luckily I can't get smited for that <!-- s:) -->:)<!-- s:) -->

Okay, I have a question. I have read a lot of different stats regarding how many extra calories you burn each day for each additional pound of muscle you gain. Is it really 35? 50? Less?

Also, how much time each week/day/whatever do you need to put in to gain that pound of muscle, over how much time? I've read 6 weeks, but it also seems like that would depend a lot on how much lifting you do each week. Are we talking 20 minutes, 3 times a week? More?

I love cardio, but am bored to death by weight training. I know it's good for me so I'm trying to find ways to motivate myself to do it.

Yeah, my question is regarding the practice of carb-cycling. (I'm interested in it for stimulating metabolism, not body-building!) I've not tried it but have read varying opinions, yet not a consistent rule of thumb so my question about it is: what pattern of high and low days do you recommend? OCP - if you're not a spammer, what is your background - in nutrition or training?

Socal: if you can keep up a level of effort for 40+ minutes (stationary bike, eliptical, etc.) then you are definitely in the relm of carb burning and not body building. Granted, you shouldnt go easy for 30 minutes and then fry yourself in the last 10, but legitimately strive to find a setting or workout level that lets you work hard for the entire 40+ minutes.

Also, higher reps/revolutions is preferable to a low, vein-straining hard pace.

You want to build and exercise the "white muscle tissue" which is endurance based.

Thanks, Mojo. I actually meant carb-cycling, as in, the practice of eating low-impact (fibrous) and high-impact (starchy) carbs on alternating days... the idea behind it is to raise metabolism on high days, then drop calories on low days, raise metabolism, then burn fat, rinse and repeat. As opposed to metabolism adjusting down with caloric intake. Some will recommend a pattern of: high, low, high, high, low. Or: low, low, high, low, low, high...

Sounds like yet another fad diet to me. And as a general rule, none of them work in the long term and, certainly, none are better than just eating less and integrating regular strenuous exercise into your weekly schedule.

So many people seem to miss that important point. STRENUOUS exercise. You should be huffing, puffing, sweating, and seeing double. 3+ times a week.

I have never met anyone that made that a part of their lives and not had results superior to any special diet. Its just hard because people want so badly to believe they can take a shortcut.

Let me know of it works out for you though.

Thanks for the welcome messages.

Socal: I am not very educated on carb cycling, but the majority of people are overloaded with carbohydrates all day long, which turns into fat for most people. When your blood sugar spikes after eating high starch meals, your body says "do we need it?" If you've been exercising, then your glycogen levels are low and your body will shuttle that sugar into your muscle and use for future energy. If you've been makin love to the couch and havent been movin, then your body will say "we dont need it, store it" (bad)

I know some bodybuilders that use that as they prepare for a show. I personally just ingest my starches, fruits and such post workout to develop a leaner physique.

I hope that helps.

My background: 12 years as a personal trainer/strength coach. Studied extensively in exercise, holistic nutrition and recovery techniques. Ive been very fortunate to get around a lot of inteligent people and have developed a hunger for new information. I use to hate reading, but now I cannot get enough.

Caycifish: My best luck adding muscle to clients and myself has come from a combination of resistance training, proper nutrition and recovery.

My best results have come from using big movements (squats, deadlifts, presses and pulls), eating 5-8 times per day and allowing myself to recover each week. Your body will respond to the stress that you provide. Big movements give you the most bang for your buck and then you eat to provide the proper nutrients and calories so your body can build and recover.

Some people do well with high volume, others when they go heavy. Ive heard people say that the best workout to gainmuscle, is the one youre not doing now. So many people get into a rut and their body stops responding. You should shoot for shocking your muscles and throwing something new at it. This could be done by switching exercises, amount of reps, sets, tempo, etc. Throw em a curve ball and they will be forced to adapt.

[quote author="Mojo"]Sounds like yet another fad diet to me. And as a general rule, none of them work in the long term and, certainly, none are better than just eating less and integrating regular strenuous exercise into your weekly schedule....

Let me know of it works out for you though.[/quote]

Well, right now I just focus on lower-calorie, low-fat, low-sugar, lean protein, vegetables, and fruit (in moderation). I haven't purposely tried to cycle the higher and lower impact carbs in and out of my diet. But I found that over months of eating better, the graphs showed I was naturally going through an up and down slope of high and low impact and higher and fewer calories - I'd say a full gradual cycle per week. Again, it's not intentional. But I was thinking of making it intentional if I notice I'm coming to a stand-still.

It has resulted in a 20 lb. loss so I'm very happy and I feel a lot better.

I totally agree. No fads. Just eat right and excercise. <!-- s:) -->:)<!-- s:) -->

caycifish: as far as boredom with resistance, I understand. There are a lot of things you can do to mix it up and still grow. Most people are just used to the 24 hour gym, full of machines, going thru the motions and always doing the same thing. Walking into the gym, on a mission, with an emotional goal in your head, knowing exactly what you're gonna do makes all the difference in the world.

Then you need to switch up your workouts every 3-4 weeks for a couple reasons.

1. So you dont get bored and lose your mind
2. So you keep your body guessin and you actually get some results. Bonus!!

I think the biggest mistake I made in the early Days was Energy Drinks, I had two water bottles on my Bike, one I would fill with an Energy drink because I "Thought" it would give me more indurance, maybe it did, but I was merely replacing the Calories I was burning...but I did build Muscle...

Now I never use energy drinks or Bars for rides less than 100 miles...

SoCal78: I remember an old trainer telling me about carb cycling. The higher carb days were on the days you lifted weights, and a lower carb amount on the days you did cardio. My trainer didn't recommend the diet for me, but wanted to make sure I had proper nutrition after I lifted weights. My post work out shake is 50 grams of crabs, either from Gatorade or dextrose mixed with 25 grams of protein

Darsh - when you mention your post work out shake, do you have any preference for protein powders? I was actually going to make a thread with this question. Again, I know I'm obsessed with the 650 lb. Virgin, as mentioned on IHB - but his trainer recommends protein shakes even for meal replacements. I was reading that some are whey, soy, dairy, or egg based. What are some good ones out there? I've never bought one. That trainer takes a bunch of bananas, peels them, puts the nanas in a freezer bag and puts them in the freezer. Then he pulls one out and puts it in the blender with his protein powder.

SoCal78: I would go with whey protein since its the quickest to digest.

I have done a breakfast shake that included a mixture of whey and caesin (dairy) protein since the caesin protein digests slower. I would also add flax seed meal for the fiber and strawberries and blueberries for some good carbs for the morning.

I've never tried egg protein powder because id rather eat real food when i can... Same with the soy, plus the only people i hear eating soy protein are vegans.

[quote author="peteruk"]I think the biggest mistake I made in the early Days was Energy Drinks, I had two water bottles on my Bike, one I would fill with an Energy drink because I "Thought" it would give me more indurance, maybe it did, but I was merely replacing the Calories I was burning...but I did build Muscle...

Now I never use energy drinks or Bars for rides less than 100 miles...[/quote]

I had the same experience! When I trained for my first endurance mountain bike race, I started using this stuff from Hammer called "Perpetuem". I would go on these incredibly long/hard rides for many many hours every weekend, and it seemed like I stopped losing weight. Well, after the race (which I raced at the higher end of normal weight) I came to actually look at the bottle of the mix (doh! - I do it for everything else) and realize that my multi-scoop mix is giving me 1000 calories and many grams of fat each time I use it.

For my second race, I trained on water only, but used the perpetuem for the race itself. I was much faster and my pre-race training had actually dropped the 10 pounds I wanted from before.

[quote author="SoCal78"]Darsh - when you mention your post work out shake, do you have any preference for protein powders? I was actually going to make a thread with this question. Again, I know I'm obsessed with the 650 lb. Virgin, as mentioned on IHB - but his trainer recommends protein shakes even for meal replacements. I was reading that some are whey, soy, dairy, or egg based. What are some good ones out there? I've never bought one. That trainer takes a bunch of bananas, peels them, puts the nanas in a freezer bag and puts them in the freezer. Then he pulls one out and puts it in the blender with his protein powder. [/quote]

During and post workout the best thing to have is a combination of whey protein and some type of simple sugar. I like Surge from Biotest. Good flavor and I recovered very quickly from tough workouts.

Casein protein digests much slower and should be used away from workout time.

Back