Author Topic: Weight Loss, Fitness and Exercise  (Read 10721 times)

Offline mojo

• Tourist
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 0
  • -Received: 0
Weight Loss, Fitness and Exercise
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2009, 02:19:00 PM »
Quote from: "peteruk"
OCP, if you were a Cyclist on a 100 mile ride and found yourself Bonking - out of Fuel - what would you eat to enable you to complete the other 50 miles?

Keep in mind that sometimes at that Point the only choice is a Gas Station or fast food joint.

Peter, have you tried the Hammer products?  That perpetuem is no joke.  You can make a concentrated mix (almost shake-like in texture) in a relatively small bottle.  Goodbye to bonks.

If you are training, I recently started using Hammer gels.  I used to use the other gels (like Gu), and even the Cliff gels - or the comparable "shot blocks".  They were all ok.  I never really liked their effect enough to use them regularly.  But the Hammer gels were excellent.  No sugar high/crash at all.  LONG energy too.  I picked up 3 at a local bike shop just to give them a try.  I might go get a box now that I've run through them.

And even it sounds otherwise, I dont work for Hammer.    :P
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 02:21:00 PM by Anonymous »

Offline qwerty

• Certified Irvine Addict
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 2737
  • -Received: 1834
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2009, 09:27:00 PM »
Quote from: "caycifish"
What is the reasoning behind avoiding diet soda?  I don't drink as much as I used to, but I'm wondering if the packet of Splenda in my coffee has the same affect.

Diet sodas apparently have a chemical that inhibits weight loss.

Offline SoCal

• Thanks
  • -Given: 1802
  • -Received: 1488
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2009, 10:04:00 PM »
^ The trainer at Reshape the Nation, says the body does not recognize artificial sweetners, so it bloats as it attacks and anchors weightoss. Cayci - check out their videos on youtube. They go into detail on these things a lot. This guy, Chris Powell, is really good.

Edit: They've talked about it many times but I dug up one of the videos where they discuss its use as a transitional tool. Starts around the 2:00 mark. Also, you mentioned coffee - they discuss the effects of caffeine.

[flash=350,287:2u2mngxd]http://www.youtube.com/v/2X9Au5W6uHw&hl=en&fs=1[/flash:2u2mngxd]

H.T.H.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 10:25:00 PM by Anonymous »

Offline mojo

• Tourist
  • Thanks
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2009, 10:57:00 AM »
How dare they speak ill of my dark overlord, the coffee bean.

Offline peteruk

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
    • http://cycling.talkirvine.com/
« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2009, 12:45:00 AM »
Quote from: "Mojo"
OCP, if you were a Cyclist on a 100 mile ride and found yourself Bonking - out of Fuel - what would you eat to enable you to complete the other 50 miles?

Keep in mind that sometimes at that Point the only choice is a Gas Station or fast food joint.

Peter, have you tried the Hammer products?  That perpetuem is no joke.  You can make a concentrated mix (almost shake-like in texture) in a relatively small bottle.  Goodbye to bonks.

If you are training, I recently started using Hammer gels.  I used to use the other gels (like Gu), and even the Cliff gels - or the comparable "shot blocks".  They were all ok.  I never really liked their effect enough to use them regularly.  But the Hammer gels were excellent.  No sugar high/crash at all.  LONG energy too.  I picked up 3 at a local bike shop just to give them a try.  I might go get a box now that I've run through them.

Sorry mojo, I missed this Post!!

No, I don't think I've ever tried Hammer but I will when I start riding long distances again..I'm not even riding right now...

I've never truly bonked on a ride yet but I know I will one Day when I start doing self supported Centuries again...

Thanks for the tip. Where do you get it? Performance?

btw, I was in "The Path" Bike shop with a friend today, it's a very nice Store with friendly Staff...looks like they concentrate on MTB stuff.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 12:48:00 AM by Anonymous »

Offline profette

• Thanks
« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2009, 11:56:00 AM »
Never truly bonked? Peter, you shouldn't tell lies just before Christmas. What will Santa
think? Tsk, Tsk.

Offline peteruk

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
« Reply #36 on: December 25, 2009, 11:46:00 AM »
Quote from: "profette"
Never truly bonked? Peter, you shouldn't tell lies just before Christmas. What will Santa
think? Tsk, Tsk.

:D  :D

Hey Prof....  :-X

Offline mojo

• Tourist
  • Thanks
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2009, 02:28:00 PM »

No, I don't think I've ever tried Hammer but I will when I start riding long distances again..I'm not even riding right now...

I've never truly bonked on a ride yet but I know I will one Day when I start doing self supported Centuries again...

btw, I was in "The Path" Bike shop with a friend today, it's a very nice Store with friendly Staff...looks like they concentrate on MTB stuff.

Yeah, I went in there for the first time this past weekend.  It has lots of nice gear.  The pricing was so-so, but there was a 20% off apparel sale... and I picked myself up some new shoes.  What a coincidence.

Offline peteruk

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2009, 05:16:00 PM »

Yeah, I went in there for the first time this past weekend.  It has lots of nice gear.  The pricing was so-so, but there was a 20% off apparel sale... and I picked myself up some new shoes.  What a coincidence.

That's a good deal, are they Specialized?

Offline spinderella

• Tourist
  • Thanks
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2010, 02:48:00 PM »
With it being a new year and all, did anyone make some resolutions (eek!  that evil word!) to get in shape and/or lose weight?

I did and got really serious about it and started a week earlier and already lost 10 pounds.  YAY!

Now let's see if I can keep it up and not have it just be a lot of water weight.    :o

Offline Cubic Zirconia

• Thanks
  • -Given: 749
  • -Received: 298
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2010, 09:25:00 PM »
Wow! That's a lot for a week.. you might want to slow down.
I made a resolution not to worry about weight and enjoy life as it comes. I will still eat healthy and stay active, but I won't obsess about being a certain size.
I framed the pre-qualification letter and posted it at a conspicuous place under adequate lighting so that a guest with normal vision can see it and express substantial jealousy.

Anonymous

« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2010, 03:34:00 PM »
Quote from: "spinderella"
With it being a new year and all, did anyone make some resolutions (eek!  that evil word!) to get in shape and/or lose weight?

I did and got really serious about it and started a week earlier and already lost 10 pounds.  YAY!

Now let's see if I can keep it up and not have it just be a lot of water weight.    :o

10 pounds already, wow! Good job.

I never make resolutions because I never keep them, but this year I am determined to lose the weight I've slowly gained over the years. I lost a bunch of weight about 7 years ago through strict portion control, but I've since gained it back...bleh.

I think I'm gonna do the same thing this time...eat the same food, just less of it. I know I should say I will eat healthy and work out, but eh. I will try to make some healthier choices, but if I deny myself food I like, then I will just gorge on other things, but still feel unsatisfied.

I really need to do this now because I'm going to be in a wedding in a few months and all the other bridesmaids are super skinny. I hate them! (j/k)

Spinderella, maybe we can be weight loss buddies! I need someone to be accountable to and my husband/family are always encouraging me to eat so they are not helpful!

Talk Irvine Links

[Recent Posts]
[FAQ / Rules]

Site Supporters

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal