Earthquake?

6.9 centered in Baja California, Mexico.  You can watch Breaking News reports on KCAL9 or CBS2, as well as KCAL9.com, or CBS2.com

I was born in the area where the quake took place, my parents live about 30 miles from the epicenter (on the US side) - all of their phones (land lines) were out in the area, cell phones were working though, i managed to get through to my sister.  Everything fell out of the cabinets, so all of their dishes were broken, everything fell off the walls (pictures, shelves, etc), their entertainment center even tipped over, so the TV ended up breaking as well. The whole area lost power as well.  Nothing happened to them, just a bunch of broken stuff. Growing up their we felt stuff as strong as 6.0 but the epicenter was never so close.

qwerty said:
I was born in the area where the quake took place, my parents live about 30 miles from the epicenter (on the US side) - all of their phones (land lines) were out in the area, cell phones were working though, i managed to get through to my sister.  Everything fell out of the cabinets, so all of their dishes were broken, everything fell off the walls (pictures, shelves, etc), their entertainment center even tipped over, so the TV ended up breaking as well. The whole area lost power as well.  Nothing happened to them, just a bunch of broken stuff. Growing up their we felt stuff as strong as 6.0 but the epicenter was never so close.

Glad to hear that your family is safe and the damage was not too extensive.

Yes I felt it - but barely lasted 20 seconds or so . Was big enough that my wall mount TVs bracket started creaking . I better get it checked out for the next / big one ..

fortune11 said:
Yes I felt it - but barely lasted 20 seconds or so . Was big enough that my wall mount TVs bracket started creaking . I better get it checked out for the next / big one ..

I guess I should get earthquake supplies.

Earthquake insurance in 92618 is way cheaper than in 92620 so I got it now just in case... I figure if the big one hits the earthquake authority will go bankrupt anyways but you never know.

eyephone said:
fortune11 said:

I guess I should get earthquake supplies.

5.4 aftershock

fortune11 said:

"barely"? :)

20 seconds felt pretty long to me.

Last one I can remember being that long was over 10 years ago and it shook our master mirror off and it shattered into pieces. Also broke the gas pipe in our rental which was a pain because our tenants were without hot water for a day while they were looking for where the leak was.

aquabliss said:
Earthquake insurance in 92618 is way cheaper than in 92620 so I got it now just in case... I figure if the big one hits the earthquake authority will go bankrupt anyways but you never know.

Yeah, I wonder about that. I think it's for "minor" earthquakes but I do wonder what kind of coverage you can get.

And if it is the big one, nothing to replace if California falls into the ocean. :)

Back