GATE program

maverick

Do elementary schools in Irvine have Gate program?  If so, what grade does it start?  Is it a separate class for gate students or just given a different assignment being in the same class as the rest of the non gate students?

"Irvine provides cluster groups at all elementary sites for their GATE identified students in grades 4-6. At some sites, students in grades K-3 who strongly demonstrate characteristics typical of gifted individuals, may be cluster grouped. Students participating in a GATE cluster group are placed with a teacher trained in differentiation and meeting the academic and social/emotional needs of the gifted. Students in grades 4-6 may also apply to participate in our specialized APAAS (Alternative Program for Academically Accelerated Students) program for students who need a more rigorous GATE program provided in a self-contained classroom."

^^ That is taken from their list of GATE FAQ's found here:http://www.iusd.org/parent_resources/gate/documents/GATEFAQ2010-revised.pdf

Hope this helps. There is more info on IUSD's site as well, such as what requirements the student must meet -http://www.iusd.org/parent_resources/gate/

Had Kid 1 in GATE after 4th grade and Kid 2 just get accepted for 6th grade. There is a gigantic difference between teaching methods as well as homework between standard elementary school and GATE. GATE is what you and I had as elementary schools before standards were lowered. We've found that the school district over subscribes GATE classes so just because your child has been approved or accepted it does not mean your child will be in a GATE class. Make friends early on with your kids current teacher. At the end of the year that teachers referral of your child to the GATE classroom is mission critical.

My .02c

Soylent Green Is People

That's funny... seems like what my kid is going through in elementary is way beyond what I went through.

I even get challenged by her homework... thank goodness for Google.

I saw a post not too long ago from someone who rounded up his 1950's 5th grade Social Studies (AKA "Civics") homework. He had to list in this assignment the President, his cabinet - by name and post - and each of the bill of rights (free speach, bear arms, etc.) Ask any 5th grader today who the Secretary of the Treasury is and you'll get a blank stare from most kids.

Granted, 5th math problems today are starting to get beyond my ability to help, now that they are working with angles, volume, and mass calculations. Kid 1 is now a 7th grader and her Algebra questions baffle me. Math is the new English which is why perhaps Civics takes a back seat in classrooms today.

My .02c

Soylent Green Is People.

I tend to agree about Math over Civics.

Although my 1st grader is currently learning all the presidents from Washington to Barack... I have trouble naming presidents prior to Bush... the younger.

My kid 1 was in GATE during his 4th grade mainly due to the fact that we did not apply for APAAS before due date.  He had a few hours a week of clustered GATE instruction and was given a little more leadership roles.  Also, he had a GATE project at the end of the school year.  However, he was bored out of mind during the rest of the time he was being taught the same material as the general class.  He got lucky and was able to join APAAS program for his 5th grade when a spot opened up.  The difference in instruction material was night and day between GATE and APAAS.  He was more challenged and actually enjoyed the class much more as he was not bored out of mind most of the time.
We made sure we filled out APAAS application on time for our kid 2 and he is enjoying the APAAS program.

So, if your kid is bright and needs challenge, make sure you fill out the APAAS program application on time and get to know your kid's 3rd grade teacher.  The 3rd grade teacher's recommendation is critical to your kid being accepted to the APAAS program.

Irvine2Irvine said:
My kid 1 was in GATE during his 4th grade mainly due to the fact that we did not apply for APAAS before due date.  He had a few hours a week of clustered GATE instruction and was given a little more leadership roles.  Also, he had a GATE project at the end of the school year.  However, he was bored out of mind during the rest of the time he was being taught the same material as the general class.  He got lucky and was able to join APAAS program for his 5th grade when a spot opened up.  The difference in instruction material was night and day between GATE and APAAS.  He was more challenged and actually enjoyed the class much more as he was not bored out of mind most of the time.
We made sure we filled out APAAS application on time for our kid 2 and he is enjoying the APAAS program.

So, if your kid is bright and needs challenge, make sure you fill out the APAAS program application on time and get to know your kid's 3rd grade teacher.  The 3rd grade teacher's recommendation is critical to your kid being accepted to the APAAS program.

Bumping an old thread...

Just wondering if you or others with kids in GATE or APAAS are finding further cut backs with the smaller IUSD budget?

I worry about the long term impact on public education in California and Irvine as the economy continues to sour. I can only imagine as we try to close our state budget deficits, education will be further targeted.

Don't worry we have Measure R, the city will continue to throw money at IUSD and Beckman HS, nothing is more important to Irvine residents then its schools..  attached is the wording of Measure R.. funny how there is no argument against..  love this quote:

"Our excellent schools have kept Irvine property values high even in these
difficult economic times." 

how can anyone say no to this, especially if you're a homeowner.

Attachments

• measure r.pdf
    268.6 KB · Views: 421
iacrenter said:
Irvine2Irvine said:

Bumping an old thread...

Just wondering if you or others with kids in GATE or APAAS are finding further cut backs with the smaller IUSD budget?

I worry about the long term impact on public education in California and Irvine as the economy continues to sour. I can only imagine as we try to close our state budget deficits, education will be further targeted.

My 3rd child just started the APAAS program and I have not seen any cutbacks to the program.  The big change that is occurring now is that K-3rd grade class sizes went from 20 to 30+.  All other programs like music, science, and art seem to have been spared.  Of course, there might be more requests for donation or volunteers as we proceed.

Also TIC and the city of Irvine throws a lot of money to IUSD to reduce the drastic shortcuts.
So, when TIC is about to build the last new homes, it will be time to get out of Irvine!!!

Back