Screen Names

A

Anonymous

Maybe this was covered at the old board (what was it called, again?), but I'd like to know how people came up with their screen names and/or avatars.

As for me, traceimage doesn't mean anything, I just liked the way the words sound together. My avatar is a tornado pic because I'm interested in weather and tornado chasing. How about you?

"Sunshine" is a nickname given to me by my boyfriend (my other nickname is "Brat" depending on the moment <!-- s;) -->;)<!-- s;) --> ).

I've never seen "John & Kate Plus 8." no_vas inspired me to select the pic. I'll probably throw up the Chargers pic again soon. Go Bolts!

USC Trojan part comes from me getting my MBA from there (I did go to UCLA for my undegrad degree so I'm really a Brojan). The CPA part is based upon the fact that I will be getting my CPA license in early 2010 (finished all 4 sections of the exam already...passed 2 parts and waiting on the scores for the other 2 parts now).

As for my Avatar...I love "The Gladiator" movie and I took it from a post from one of the car forums that I'm one because I thought it was funny (posted by a member in regards to wanting a troll to be banned). The title under my avatar speaks for itself.

WINEX or WINE is a screen name chosen simply because it is hard to trace. The origin comes from open source Linux projects that involve porting native Windows DLLs to the Linux environment. Doing so allows Windows applications to run in a Linux environment without emulation. The acronyms are WINE Is Not Emulation and WINE Is Not Emulation with active X.

I wasn't involved in either project, but I think the goal is noble and recursive acronyms are cool. Plus, like I said, I didn't want a name that could be traced to my offline identity.

the name came to me while living in a condo in Tustin Ranch. After lurking for months on the IHB, I finally got the gut to post something... I pick the name simply because I love staring at the bull-nose corners of the condo, yes, there are housing features such as crown molding, french doors and base boards that just tickle my soul... I stuck to RC... aren't U glad?

my avatar will indefinitely be a white wall...

CK has been my nickname with close friends since high school. And its also my initials -- creative, huh?

As far as the Patrick avatar, I feel a connection with Patrick. <!-- s;) -->;)<!-- s;) --> This particular avatar signifies how after Patrick wins the gold cup he is overcome with shock and dismay at winning anything. Kind of how I feel --- shocked and surprised (pleasantly) at how I seemingly stumbled into such a great family, career, and life...but I've got no complaints...

[quote author="winex"]WINEX or WINE is a screen name chosen simply because it is hard to trace. The origin comes from open source Linux projects that involve porting native Windows DLLs to the Linux environment. Doing so allows Windows applications to run in a Linux environment without emulation. The acronyms are WINE Is Not Emulation and WINE Is Not Emulation with active X.

I wasn't involved in either project, but I think the goal is noble and recursive acronyms are cool. Plus, like I said, I didn't want a name that could be traced to my offline identity.[/quote]

Aha!! Just what I thought!! ::) <!-- s:D -->:D<!-- s:D -->

Screename story is kind of dumb. I actually typed part of my name incorrectly the first time I posted on another blog. I really didn't even notice it for some time. From there, it just stuck and I'm altogether too lazy to change it or start over. The avatar comes from the movie I have seen more times in my life than I would care to mention, mostly due to two little kids. It is highly likely that I've memorized the movie. It helps that I always loved both the movie and the message.

[quote author="peteruk"]
[quote author="winex"]WINEX or WINE is a screen name chosen simply because it is hard to trace. The origin comes from open source Linux projects that involve porting native Windows DLLs to the Linux environment. Doing so allows Windows applications to run in a Linux environment without emulation. The acronyms are WINE Is Not Emulation and WINE Is Not Emulation with active X.

I wasn't involved in either project, but I think the goal is noble and recursive acronyms are cool. Plus, like I said, I didn't want a name that could be traced to my offline identity.[/quote]

Aha!! Just what I thought!! ::) <!-- s:D -->:D<!-- s:D -->[/quote]

Yea, I guess mine is kind of intuitive. But I've often wondered how you came up with yours.

Grace O'Malley was THE Pirate Queen of the 16th century. She ruled the Irish sea for nearly 70 years, and was the only female to have ever even come close, much less done so.

[quote author="winex"]
[quote author="peteruk"]

Aha!! Just what I thought!! ::) <!-- s:D -->:D<!-- s:D -->[/quote]

Yea, I guess mine is kind of intuitive. But I've often wondered how you came up with yours.[/quote]

;D I was just kidding re: your Screename...just know that I'm lucky if I can turn my Laptop on first time... :-[

I can't remember how I came up with my Screename, it was kinda complex if I remember correctly...

My avatar is the Mod Symbol from the 60's....with a Scooter, the Mods mode of transport...

My screenname is actually a complex algorithm which, when applied correctly, can accurately predict and translate the actions of Spencer and Heidi Montag.

The fact that the handle actually spells something is purely coincidental.

im not creative so i while i was looking at the keyboard while thinking of a name i saw qwerty staring right at me.

<new user to Talk Irvine>

My screen name? I like snoopy and its been a name I've used since I was a wee lad.

Warning: This next part maybe needs to have its own thread ... sorry!

More importantly, @winex, I'm a Linux User. I would assume you are too? I dumped M$ Windows about 2 years ago and never looked back. I've been using Linux Mint recently and really love it! The best thing, for those who don't know, its a totally free operating system for your PC or MAC. And runs so much more smoothly than Windows. Also, it comes with Open Office pre-installed. I'm slowly but surely getting my friends and family to switch over. Any one else!?

www.linuxmint.com or
www.ubuntu.com

Sorry for shame-less Linux "plug" ... I can't help it! But, how else do you get people to know there are alternatives to paying for junk?

My name, in its entirity, goes back to 8th grade for me. I have a thing for tropical fish and I used to wear a lot of t-shirts and horrible, tacky earings and the like accordingly. One of my teachers just started refering to me as "fish" or "fish chick". "Cayci" was an identity thing. I didn't like how my name was spelled...never liked it. I can't even blame that one on being a teenager. A friend of mine and I were bored in class and started doodling different ways of spelling our names. I had a "Hooked on Phonics" moment and wrote down "Cayci". I thought it was awesome in every way possible and immediately started using it whenever I could. My parents didn't like it very much, but they came around eventually. I became "Caycifish" on the internet early in college, and didn't worry so much about security because it wasn't my real name. Well, I made it my legal name just in time for it to be on my college diplomas and at the time decided that I would keep my screenname intact and just not do things on the internet I would be ashamed of.

I smile when I think about how some of my IHB newbie hazing involved folks trying to make fun of me for my name (you know, because you must be a blond idiot when your name ends in an i). I had taken some other crap without much of a fight (because they were right) but when they started targeting my name certain IHB gentlemen in a chat room were informed of evidence of my brilliance and that they could "Go f*** yourselves." I couldn't see him, but I know Nude smiled.

Kaos is the name of my boat which used to be the name of my High school band. Morekaos simply was a lengthening of that root name

Soylent Green Is People : A de-evolving society, on the cusp complete ecological breakdown, where the ultra rich sooth themselves with prostitutes and 20th century foodstuffs while the poor are left, unbeknowst, to eat one another....

What's not to like about a screen name tied to something like that!

I was going to take Winston Smith, as we are living in those times. Didn't you know? We have always been at war with EastAsia, citizen. (the 1000 year war on jihadists) I have learned to love Big Brother ever since "less bad is the new good". (Newspeak if I've ever heard it) Kids today are learning (nothing IMHO) that 2+2 does equal 5 sometimes. I am expecting the clocks to chime 13 any day now.

Back