HOA in Irvine

You must be talking about new homes only? Because they can is the reason, I think. They know some folks are going to pay whatever it takes to own new.

The 2001 built SFR I lease has an HOA of $50. And that includes park, pool, tennis courts....and sidewalk to street upkeep every week. And they still have the budget to send nasty letters to people reminding it is time to repaint your garage or shutters --- complete with a list of approved colors.

(By the way, I'm not complaining...I like that HOA iron fist--- don't trust most people to their own upkeep)

[quote author="irvinian"]Is there a reason why most HOAs in Irvine is $300 or more? [/quote]

Most HOAs in Irvine are under $300/month, but the newer homes may be skewing perception.

HOAs are owned and run by the homeowners themselves. The association fees and policies are determined by each HOA's governing body (Prez, VP, Sec, Treasurer, etc.) usually with guidance from a property management advisor, a reserve study, and a yearly budget audit.

Fees cover costs for everything from community lighting, landscaping, and insurance to maintaining reserves for catastrophic losses or large periodic servicing (items like roof repair or pool resurfacing don't happen each month or each year, but need to have allocations, nonetheless.)

The managing members typically volunteer their time for a couple of hours each month for meetings to review complaints that have been submitted to the property mgmt company, to approve or deny spending, and to gossip. Since there is a high personal risk taken on if the board varies significantly from the budget's review, members usually accept the budget proposals.

I'm on my board. It helps me keep a tab on what's being spent, and our group is in the habit of bidding out jobs to at least 3 vendors each time. It does cost some of my "goodwill" currency since some homeowners see my name approving their penalty fine. In reality it helps me know the community better than anyone else and help sellers/buyers here when they choose to make a move.

That's a long-winded way of stating that the homeowners, themselves, choose what the HOA fees will ultimately be.

If I were buying, my most important questions would be:
1. How much are the total HOA fees?
2. How well-funded are the reserves?
3. What am I getting for the fees?

I would also review the "minutes" of the meetings to make sure my next door neighbor isn't the one complaining all the time, or the one with the dog that doesn't stop barking, all night long, every night.

-IrvineRealtor

The attached homes have 2 HOA's. Does the 2nd HOA really cover all the structural issues.
fire, roofing etc etc. How does it compare to detached units. Do the detached unit folks have to get more insurance separately for structural stuff.

[quote author="IrvineRealtor"]
[quote author="irvinian"]Is there a reason why most HOAs in Irvine is $300 or more? [/quote]

Most HOAs in Irvine are under $300/month, but the newer homes may be skewing perception.

HOAs are owned and run by the homeowners themselves. The association fees and policies are determined by each HOA's governing body (Prez, VP, Sec, Treasurer, etc.) usually with guidance from a property management advisor, a reserve study, and a yearly budget audit.

Fees cover costs for everything from community lighting, landscaping, and insurance to maintaining reserves for catastrophic losses or large periodic servicing (items like roof repair or pool resurfacing don't happen each month or each year, but need to have allocations, nonetheless.)

The managing members typically volunteer their time for a couple of hours each month for meetings to review complaints that have been submitted to the property mgmt company, to approve or deny spending, and to gossip. Since there is a high personal risk taken on if the board varies significantly from the budget's review, members usually accept the budget proposals.

I'm on my board. It helps me keep a tab on what's being spent, and our group is in the habit of bidding out jobs to at least 3 vendors each time. It does cost some of my "goodwill" currency since some homeowners see my name approving their penalty fine. In reality it helps me know the community better than anyone else and help sellers/buyers here when they choose to make a move.

That's a long-winded way of stating that the homeowners, themselves, choose what the HOA fees will ultimately be.

If I were buying, my most important questions would be:
1. How much are the total HOA fees?
2. How well-funded are the reserves?
3. What am I getting for the fees?

I would also review the "minutes" of the meetings to make sure my next door neighbor isn't the one complaining all the time, or the one with the dog that doesn't stop barking, all night long, every night.

-IrvineRealtor[/quote]

[quote author="ck"]You must be talking about new homes only? Because they can is the reason, I think. They know some folks are going to pay whatever it takes to own new.

The 2001 built SFR I lease has an HOA of $50. And that includes park, pool, tennis courts....and sidewalk to street upkeep every week. And they still have the budget to send nasty letters to people reminding it is time to repaint your garage or shutters --- complete with a list of approved colors.

(By the way, I'm not complaining...I like that HOA iron fist--- don't trust most people to their own upkeep)[/quote]

CK,

Some one in the Wisteria tract on Congress painted his door bright pumpkin orange. The iron fist apparently missed this eyesore.

[quote author="graceomalley"]

CK,

Some one in the Wisteria tract on Congress painted his door bright pumpkin orange. The iron fist apparently missed this eyesore.

[/quote]

Ooo --- that's on my way to the school, I'll check it out Monday morning. I'll need to report that to one of the HOA board members. Now, who might I talk too....hmmm.

[quote author="iceman"]Anybody know how strict the HOA over in Northwood Pointe is? <!-- s:eek: -->:eek:<!-- s:eek: -->[/quote]
See if there are any neighbors outside and ask them would be my best advice.

[quote author="graceomalley"]
[quote author="ck"]You must be talking about new homes only? Because they can is the reason, I think. They know some folks are going to pay whatever it takes to own new.

(By the way, I'm not complaining...I like that HOA iron fist--- don't trust most people to their own upkeep)[/quote]

CK,

[/quote]

7 - 2, unsuited. Statistically the worst hand in hold 'em.

Maybe there is some merit to those unlucky numbers, bk...

Back