Likes/Dislikes of 2010 Collection

irvinehomeowner

Regardless of price, motorcourt and location, I am interested in what everyone thinks of the designs of the new homes in Woodbury and Woodbury East.

For me:

1. Entrance foyer
I dislike opening the front door and being right in the middle of the living room.

2. Great Room concept
The openness is really great for entertaining and for families who focus on the kitchen/dining/family room areas. That's where we spend most of our time.

3. Cali Rooms
While controversial, I've always like the idea of a semi-enclosed outdoor living space.

4. Kitchen pantries and islands
2 must-have features in any kitchen for us. I also like the little desk area they have in some models.

5. Upstairs laundry rooms w/ sinks
Some of the plans have really functional laundry rooms (probably one of the highest used areas in our household) and the Sonoma ones have those great storage areas.

6. Large master showers
Although some are not enclosed like I prefer, at least they are big.

Dislikes

1. No 3-car garage (or expanded 2.5 car garage)
Of course this would be number 1 on my list. As another poster put it, if you're living in these larger homes and have a big family, you're going to need more garage storage. Carmel has some models with garage storage (as does Montecito I think) but it's just not enough.

2. No TV/media wall
In many of the models, they put the fireplace where you would usually put your TV. They put outlets above the fireplace assuming you would hang a flat panel there, but not everyone has flat panel TVs and the fireplaces are so huge... it's impractical. Plus, not everyone likes to have the fireplace in the same are they watch TV.

3. No separate dining area
I can deal with not having a formal living room, but I find a separate dining area to be useful for when you have guests, for homework and just for your own personal mail sorting, gift wrapping, kids playing stuff.

4. Enclosed master showers
Some models have them, more models don't. I prefer showers with 3 walls, it provides privacy and that "spa" feel.

5. Small master bedrooms and closets
Some of the masters are tiny in the bigger houses. Why does the smaller plan (Santa Cruz I think) has a retreat but none of the bigger ones do? And if you're spending that much on a house... make the closet opulent (that's probably more for my sigoth).

6. No vanity desk in the master bathroom
I don't know how many of you would use it but I do think it's a useful place for the ladies to do their hair, apply makeup... etc etc. It doesn't take much room, you can set one up between the two sinks.

There's probably more but I want to hear from other people. And this is an opinion thread so don't be discouraged if you don't necessarily agree with someone else... there are no right or wrong posts here. And hopefully this can stay on topic.

Hey now -- I said "Regardless of price, motorcourt and location....".

Maybe I should have emphasized interior features.

[quote author="irvinehomeowner"]Hey now -- I said "Regardless of price, motorcourt and location....".

Maybe I should have emphasized interior features.[/quote]

I missed that! Sorry!

I was high on the list and almost bought Carmel plan 2. The major reason I didn't buy was because there wasn't a single lot available that has no neighbor in the back. I don't mind a small lot, but a small lot with neighbor in the back means I may have to listen to excessive piano practice and baby crying. Things I don't want to put up with for a million dollar home.

[quote author="iceman"]Small lots![/quote]
That's a new concept store opening in Irvine specializing in furniture and accessories for your Great Room and Cali Room.

Okay... other than dislikes... what about the stuff you did like about the 2010 Collection?

(channeling my inner mikeirvine... oooohhhhmm)

I agree with a lot of your likes/dislikes above, and I would add that I love having a sit-up bar on the kitchen island! I imagine hosting dinners and prepping food on the island while guests sit and watch and drink wine/eat appetizers... <!-- s;) -->;)<!-- s;) -->

things to love: great room great room great room!!!!

unlike some, i love the elimination of the formal living/ dining room. i feel you get more usable space...

LOVE large kitchen islands as we entertain a lot. sitting around the island drinking bottles of wine is great.

love dining areas that are adjacent to sliding french doors opening to a covered patio. again, as we entertain a lot, you can create a great social setting.

really like sonoma as you get 2 ovens - 1 under the range and 1 wall oven w/ microwave. i also like sonoma for the larger walk in pantry. in our current townhome, we turned our coat closet into a 2nd pantry...

I"m going to be the dissenter here on the "Great room" concept. I don't see the utility. I want my kitchen (w/island --> love islands for informal eating / snacking) to be separate from the dining area and the living room. I don't want them to look like one big lofty space. I notice some of the plans do allow for this so I'll be specifically asking about that when I visit in 2 weeks

Don't worry about being the dissenter... the Great Room works for some and not others.

Please let us know what you think when you do get here to check it out.

For the Sonoma home I bought

No neighbor facing and looking into my backyard and master bed room, no windows facing my neighbor windows from the sides.

Not on Sand canyon and have view.

Separate dinning area next to the kitchen & CA room but not next to the great room.

4 bed room + 1 optional room = 5

Big Master bed room, Big laundry room and bath rooms.

Have drive way and walk way in front.

Dislike

Over price $332 /SF should be $300 /SF or lower

Small Backyard.

Outdoor fire place in the center of CA room.

Smaller Great room compare to other plans.

Mike

IHO you pretty much hit almost everything on spot. I may be able to add a few for the home we bought in Montecito.

Like:

Location - It's easy to get in and out of Woodbury and easy to give directions to visitors. Actually don't have to go through the maze of Woodbury(everything looks alike)

Downstairs laundry room with Sink! <!-- s:) -->:)<!-- s:) -->

Separate Dining area, not that we will use it a whole lot since the island is so big. It's a nice to have if we have guest.

Dislike:

Super tiny yard - It's smaller than the model because of the lot.

Powder in the front of the house instead of the back.

[quote author="fe9000"]IHO you pretty much hit almost everything on spot. I may be able to add a few for the home we bought in Montecito.

Like:

Location - It's easy to get in and out of Woodbury and easy to give directions to visitors. Actually don't have to go through the maze of Woodbury(everything looks alike)

Separate Dining area, not that we will use it a whole lot since the island is so big. It's a nice to have if we have guest.

Dislike:

Powder in the front of the house instead of the back.[/quote]

I actually prefer laundry rooms upstairs! Don't like lugging all the stuff down.

[quote author="fe9000"]IHO you pretty much hit almost everything on spot. I may be able to add a few for the home we bought in Montecito.

Like:

Dislike:

Powder in the front of the house instead of the back.[/quote]

FE-our plan 1 doesn't have a sink in the laundry.

I like almost everything about the our Plan 3 of Monterey. IT is pretty much a detached home at the price of attached home (although still 10-15% higher than what it probably should be).

there are two dislikes.

1] smaller closet spaces

2] (minor) No dedicated coat closet area. Although the foyer has enough space that one can buy a nice wooden closet to put in as a coat closet.

IT offers almost the same things as Santa Cruz plan 3/ coronado Plan3 with each room just a little bit smaller

[quote author="irvinehomeowner"]Regardless of price, motorcourt and location, I am interested in what everyone thinks of the designs of the new homes in Woodbury and Woodbury East.

For me:

1. Entrance foyer
I dislike opening the front door and being right in the middle of the living room.

2. Great Room concept
The openness is really great for entertaining and for families who focus on the kitchen/dining/family room areas. That's where we spend most of our time.

3. Cali Rooms
While controversial, I've always like the idea of a semi-enclosed outdoor living space.

4. Kitchen pantries and islands
2 must-have features in any kitchen for us. I also like the little desk area they have in some models.

5. Upstairs laundry rooms w/ sinks
Some of the plans have really functional laundry rooms (probably one of the highest used areas in our household) and the Sonoma ones have those great storage areas.

6. Large master showers
Although some are not enclosed like I prefer, at least they are big.

Dislikes

1. No 3-car garage (or expanded 2.5 car garage)
Of course this would be number 1 on my list. As another poster put it, if you're living in these larger homes and have a big family, you're going to need more garage storage. Carmel has some models with garage storage (as does Montecito I think) but it's just not enough.

2. No TV/media wall
In many of the models, they put the fireplace where you would usually put your TV. They put outlets above the fireplace assuming you would hang a flat panel there, but not everyone has flat panel TVs and the fireplaces are so huge... it's impractical. Plus, not everyone likes to have the fireplace in the same are they watch TV.

3. No separate dining area
I can deal with not having a formal living room, but I find a separate dining area to be useful for when you have guests, for homework and just for your own personal mail sorting, gift wrapping, kids playing stuff.

4. Enclosed master showers
Some models have them, more models don't. I prefer showers with 3 walls, it provides privacy and that "spa" feel.

5. Small master bedrooms and closets
Some of the masters are tiny in the bigger houses. Why does the smaller plan (Santa Cruz I think) has a retreat but none of the bigger ones do? And if you're spending that much on a house... make the closet opulent (that's probably more for my sigoth).

6. No vanity desk in the master bathroom
I don't know how many of you would use it but I do think it's a useful place for the ladies to do their hair, apply makeup... etc etc. It doesn't take much room, you can set one up between the two sinks.

There's probably more but I want to hear from other people. And this is an opinion thread so don't be discouraged if you don't necessarily agree with someone else... there are no right or wrong posts here. And hopefully this can stay on topic.[/quote]

[quote author="ajw522"][quote author=fe9000 board=irvinere thread=663 post=7508 time=1268333522]

FE-our plan 1 doesn't have a sink in the laundry.[/quote]

You are correct. That's why I have smilie at the end of the sentence. It's a phase 1 special.

[quote author="fe9000"]
[quote author="ajw522"][quote author=fe9000 board=irvinere thread=663 post=7508 time=1268333522]

FE-our plan 1 doesn't have a sink in the laundry.[/quote]

You are correct. That's why I have smilie at the end of the sentence. It's a phase 1 special. [/quote]

Really? <!-- s:( --:mad:<!-- s:( --> Just for Phase 1? Maybe it's a consolation for the tiny little lots they gave you ;D

[quote author="ajw522"]
[quote author="fe9000"]

You are correct. That's why I have smilie at the end of the sentence. It's a phase 1 special. [/quote]

Really? <!-- s:( --:mad:<!-- s:( --> Just for Phase 1? Maybe it's a consolation for the tiny little lots they gave you ;D[/quote]

OUCH!!!

[quote author="fe9000"]
[quote author="ajw522"]

Really? <!-- s:( --:mad:<!-- s:( --> Just for Phase 1? Maybe it's a consolation for the tiny little lots they gave you ;D[/quote]

OUCH!!![/quote]

LOL <!-- s;) -->;)<!-- s;) -->

Back