University High School versus Northwood High School

PANDA_IHB

I hear that University High is the best high school in Irvine and Northwood High is its close 2nd. Does anyone know how competitive both schools are? What are the chances of Northwood High School beating out University High as the #1 School in Irvine in the next 10 years?

My wife teaches at Uni and it is ultra-competitive. She would actually prefer our goods go to Northwood as that school isn't quite as psycho stressful with regards to academic performance... We'd prefer our kids to be a little more well-rounded if at all possible and a little less stressed.

Northwood is probably the best looking campus in Central Orange County. University is definitely more competitive. As a matter of fact, University is extremely similar to UC Irvine. I think having your kids go to either school is good. Do you prefer the newness of Northpark, or the fully established South Irvine? If I was strictly a family person, I would choose to live by Northwood. But the area by Uni, being closer to UCI has a little more variety in terms of shops, businesses, activities, etc.

hs_teacher,

I prefer newer northern areas of Irvine than the established southern area. As I was doing some research on the 2 schools, I was quite shocked looking at the demographic information. Where i went to high school there were about 98 % white and i was one of 13 Asians at my entire high school, but everyone got a long fine. I am curious, as Univeristy High has more asian students then white students (which I have never seen before), do the two intermingle or are they more segregrated within the school? Do the asian and white students get along? I know that this is a very general question, but definitely a curiousity of mine. Any opinions?

Northwood High School

Am. Indian/Alaska Native: 8 ( 0 %)

Asian/Pacific Islander: 950 ( 44 %)

Hispanic: 106 ( 5 %)

African American: 24 ( 1 %)

White: 1028 ( 48 %)

Unspecified: 0 ( 0 %)

University High School

Am. Indian/Alaska Native: 8 ( 0 %)

Asian/Pacific Islander: 1020 ( 47 %)

Hispanic: 99 ( 5 %)

African American: 38 ( 2 %)

White: 960 ( 44 %)

Unspecified: 0 ( 0 %)

<p>It is much more difficult to be admitted into UCI today than it was 10 years ago. I think the acceptance was around 75% in 1997, but is only around 55% in 2007.</p>

<p>As for racial segregation, I think all students tend to hang out in groups of their own race in any given school. </p>

<p>However, since Northwood and University are situated in high social economic areas, the students definitely get along more than not. </p>

<p>Socially speaking, I have heard many bad comments about University High. As for academic reputation, however, University is nationally known to be an esteemed school.</p>

<p>But IMO, the two schools are more alike than they are different. Any school in Irvine is considered good anyways.</p>

irvinesinglemom,

Thanks for clarification. Orchard Hills, Northwood II, and Portola Springs are all in the Northwood High School District, and Quail Hillls, Shady Canyon, Turtle Rock, and Turtle Ridge all goto University. Am i correct on this information?

"It is much more difficult to be admitted into UCI today than it was 10 years ago. I think the acceptance was around 75% in 1997, but is only around 55% in 2007."

What does that mean? I'm sorry, I'm not well versed on the school system here, does that mean 55% of University kids are accepted into UCI?

55% of UCI applicants get acceptances. Not as impressive as UCLA, but remember UCI is like the ultimate back-up school, so they have to accept a lot of people who get in somewhere higher on the ladder.

<p>"Thanks for clarification. Orchard Hills, Northwood II, and Portola Springs are all in the Northwood High School District"</p>

<p>Some of Orchard Hills will go to Northwood. Some will be TUSD and go to Beckman. </p>

and Culver will be the dividing line between the 2 sections of OH. . . differentiating between Beckman and Northwood, just as Culver divides Northpark from Northwood now. . .

<p>I agree that schools such as UCLA, USC, and UCSD are more competitive than UCI. But from my understanding, if you want to live in a desirable area like Orange County, it's a good idea to graduate from an Orange County school. For instance USC is an awesome school, but downtown LA is a crappy place for a college. UCI is a good school and its surrounding is great. Actually, now that I think about, I would've preferred to graduate from UCLA rather than UCI. </p>

<p>For an Honors student, UCI is not that competitive. But for the average high school student, UCI is very competitive.</p>

"But from my understanding, if you want to live in a desirable area like Orange County, it's a good idea to graduate from an Orange County school."

I disagree. The undergraduate school you attend, with certain caveats, has only a small impact on where you eventually live. It depends on what field you are seeking work in and in any case, most studies show that the *last* place you graduate from has the most impact on where you eventually live. So if your only goal is a Bachelor's degree, than I guess your statement is partially true.

It is better to say that if anything, alumni networks can help you find a job so it is helpful to graduate from a school that has many graduates that are in companies in the area you want to live in. I don't know if UCI has more graduates than UCLA or USC or any of a myriad of California universities in Orange County companies.

In any case, it would be sad to base one of your life's most important decisions (where to pursue your undergraduate degree) on where you think it would help you get an "OC lifestyle".

I can't think of a more boring place to go to college than UCI, except for maybe Davis. I feel sorry for out-of-area students who chose to go to school there because they watched too many episodes of Laguna Beach and the OC, especially if they don't have a car. It would be worse being trapped in some school in the midwest.

The UCLA acceptance rate is very, very low - it's on par with some Ivies. Why? Demand...that school is always at the top if not at the top of the list of schools with the most applicants.

I personally would pick the best college that is a good fit for you, and not worry about location. Private school alumni networks generally tend to be very good. The USC network is legendary.

I work right in the heart of OC, and see a heck of a lot more UCLA and USC flags around the cube farm than Anteater flags. Come to think of it, I'm not sure I have ever seen an Anteater flag.

Might there be more of an outward showing of pride for schools like UCLA and USC, than UCI? I'd be wary of taking amounts of flags sightings as representative of number of graduates. . .

Very true, ISB. But I'm just saying that I don't think you one can infer that because you went to UCI you are more likely to build a career in OC. My wife went to UCI, but started her career in LA, and only moved back to Irvine and a local job 10+ years after graduating from UCI. And the new career here had nothing to do with any network from UCI.

Back