Summer school

A

Anonymous

I was reading the Irvine Activity Guide, and there was an ad for a summer "camp" that features full-day academic classes. Basically summer school...not summer school like "my kid is failing and needs extra help," but "I want my kid to get ahead/stay ahead and not just goof off all summer."

I think this is just so appalling. Summer vacation is such a wonderful institution and it's so sad to me that some kids are forced to go to school year round. I know it's different strokes for different folks but I really feel sorry for these poor kids. I have such great memories of going to day camp and goofing off in the summer. Summer vacation is a great American rite of passage and all kids should get to experience it. In my opinion.

I agree that there needs to be a balance for children. It can't all be study study study.... there needs to be social interaction and outdoor play. However, what if the child(ren) are the type that love academics constantly? Maybe it would be their type of a fun summer vacation.

I'll have to see what my kids like when they get old enough for school.

Back