woodbury vs portola springs

maverick

When it comes to deciding between Woodbury and Portola Springs, do people consider the difference between Northwood High school and Irvine High School? The reputation and the national ranking indicate that Northwood is a better school. Any thoughts?

Depends on how old your kids are. 10-12 years later ranking can be totally different. All kids who are going highschool in northwood are probably majority of families that moved in that area in say late 90's. Maybe all the newer families whose kids will go to irvine high may improve irvine high's ranking in future. Who knows!!!!!

[quote author="maverick"]When it comes to deciding between Woodbury and Portola Springs, do people consider the difference between Northwood High school and Irvine High School? The reputation and the national ranking indicate that Northwood is a better school. Any thoughts?[/quote]

I'm sure some people consider it. Are you concerned about the school quality per se, or for resale value later? I personally would be happy with either one as they're both good schools.

[quote author="maverick"]When it comes to deciding between Woodbury and Portola Springs, do people consider the difference between Northwood High school and Irvine High School? [/quote]

Yes.

[quote author="maverick"]mainly for my kids but I guess it can affect the resale as well...[/quote]

Well, Northwood is sexier right now so buyers might have a preference for it over Irvine. But as far as academics, they both have a 10 ranking so I don't think you could go wrong with either one.

this is not all my opinion, i am being fed alot of this information by my irvine acquaintances...

northwood high is definitely considered the better school... it's up there with people wanting to send their kids to troy, or whitney... just as troy has suprassed sunny hills, northwood high has surpassed uni. uni is still a great school... but northwood is newer and has the technology infrastructure of a community college....

I've been told there has been a lot of positive talk about Boeckmann, but it is still a newer school so time will tell... people expect Boeckmann to be good because it will cover the areas of Northpark, Northpark Square, West Irvine, and Tustin Ranch - generally pretty affluent areas... they are tustin unified anyways, so back to irvine... Based on conversations, the ranking seems to be:

1) Northwood
2) University
3) Irvine
4) Woodbridge

For those who have been in Irvine a while, there was definitely a stigma back in the day that Uni had all the smart kids, while Irvine and Woodbridge were a step below in terms of academics...

I'm not sure about sports...

I have friends with kids that go to Northwood High, and they like it. Most do say that it is pretty competitive and most believe that it is more competitive than Irvine High in terms of academics and peer competition.

It appears Stonegate (along with Portola Springs) is zoned to Northwood. And I if I am not mistaken, both of those Villages will immediately follow the 2010 collection? Not to mention that Stonegate Elem is a traditional year schedule school.

So if you like Northwood, chilling out for 9 months or so might be the right move.

[quote author="akim997"]this is not all my opinion, i am being fed alot of this information by my irvine acquaintances...

northwood high is definitely considered the better school... it's up there with people wanting to send their kids to troy, or whitney... just as troy has suprassed sunny hills, northwood high has surpassed uni. uni is still a great school... but northwood is newer and has the technology infrastructure of a community college....

I've been told there has been a lot of positive talk about Boeckmann, but it is still a newer school so time will tell... people expect Boeckmann to be good because it will cover the areas of Northpark, Northpark Square, West Irvine, and Tustin Ranch - generally pretty affluent areas... they are tustin unified anyways, so back to irvine... Based on conversations, the ranking seems to be:

1) Northwood
2) University
3) Irvine
4) Woodbridge

For those who have been in Irvine a while, there was definitely a stigma back in the day that Uni had all the smart kids, while Irvine and Woodbridge were a step below in terms of academics...

I'm not sure about sports...

[/quote]

No, I believe the ranking is:
1) University
2) Northwood
3) Irvine
4) Woodbridge

I personally think that both neighborhoods are nice and the high schools are good.  It all depends on the teachers a child gets and per ratemyteacher.com, both have good and bad teachers per student point of view (it seems that students rate teachers badly if the teacher does not or cannot explain the material well.)

By the way, I was speaking to a mother with a daughter going into 9th grade at NHS.  Her daughter was stressing out because many of her peers (from Sierra Vista Middle School) were taking classes at IVC this summer so that they can be ahead (in terms of HS credits?).  I believe these kids were taking classes like Health, etc at IVC.  I didn't even realize that community colleges allowed Jr High kids to take college classes to make up for high school classes.  It seems kinda intense...

The same mother told me that at her son's elementary school, about 9 out of 10 kids have private tutors.  She also said that at this particular elementary school, teachers often teach one chapter then send a chapter home for the child to learn on their own so that the teacher can keep up with her pacing chart...hmmmm...

I'm not a fan of academic pressure... I'll take Woodbridge if it's a more even-keeled experience.

Adam Keefe and Austin Daye made the NBA as Woodbridge graduates... maybe mine can too.

irvinehomeowner said:
I'm not a fan of academic pressure... I'll take Woodbridge if it's a more even-keeled experience.

Adam Keefe and Austin Daye made the NBA as Woodbridge graduates... maybe mine can too.

Yeah, we were thinking about moving over to Woodbridge (nice amenities, no MR, more of a mix in terms of ethnicity...) but don't want to pull the kids out of their elementary school...

kayochan said:
irvinehomeowner said:

Yeah, we were thinking about moving over to Woodbridge (nice amenities, no MR, more of a mix in terms of ethnicity...) but don't want to pull the kids out of their elementary school...

Oh another thing the mother told me is that she knows of some parents who pulled out their kids from NHS and are planning to enroll them in private school (one she mentioned is the new Crean HS next to SGE) because their kids couldn't keep up. 

Also, that a friend/neighbor is enrolling/enrolled their 12 year old in SAT prep this summer(!)  ???

I want to believe that the stuff the mother told me are just isolated/extreme incidents... 

Maybe WB is better for the kids than PS since IHS sounds like it is less competitive than NHS?

Back